Thought on Last NIght's Episode

Options
2»

Replies

• whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Merle walker = scary as *!&%!

I thought the episode was well fairly well done. However, I think they could have gotten a lot more emotional buy-in for Merle if they had tried fleshing out his character in the previous episodes and then killing him off in this one. As it stands, I wasn't sorry at all to see the character go and I think the writers wanted us to feel some sort of loss. Still, his attempt at redemption was admirable.

However, what was the true motive behind his decision to take Michonne?
    1) Was he making the decision that he knew Rick wouldn't in the hopes of saving the prison gang (i.e. Daryl)?
    Or
    2) Was he taking the decision out of Rick's hands because he was afraid Rick might go through with it? He knows Daryl has become Rick's confidant and doesn't want Rick to end up another version of the Governor (i.e. he forces the good group to stay the good group by taking the evil decision out of their hands and thus preserves the man he has seen his brother become.)

The latter may be putting too much faith in Merle's character
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I think the decision was more about how he saw himself than about the group. I think he's a simple man, he believed Rick would not do what needed to be done, believed himself to be the bad guy, the enforcer, the guy who does the dirty work because he already has blood on his hands and that is his purpose. I think he did it for his brother, he saw that Daryl wanted to stay and the only way that could happen was for him to preserve the group. But in the end he was not evil, and Michonne helped him realize that the governor had used him and turned him into someone he wasn't.
  • cjlorigan
    cjlorigan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My question is if Merle was the first of the 2 main charaters to die then who is #2? And I have to admit it was nice not seeing Andrea for an episode.

Also, I just wanted to give Daryl a hug :cry:
  • whiteheaddg
    Options
    My question is if Merle was the first of the 2 main charaters to die then who is #2? And I have to admit it was nice not seeing Andrea for an episode.

Depends on what is considered a "main" character - the spoilers didn't say it would necessarily be part of the prison gang. Either the Governor or Milton could be considered a "main" character. If it is going to be one of the gang, then I suspect Herschel or Beth.
  • cjlorigan
    Options

Depends on what is considered a "main" character - the spoilers didn't say it would necessarily be part of the prison gang. Either the Governor or Milton could be considered a "main" character. If it is going to be one of the gang, then I suspect Herschel or Beth.

Very good point. I'd say these are the top options from each group:

Beth - if not her then Carol (one needs to be around for Judith) Guess it depends on who needs a bigger future love interest more Carl or Daryl. Not sure if Daryl can handle much more loss right now. So my vote is Beth.
    This will devastate Herschel. But Maggie and Glenn can get married...have a daughter..and Herschel will get to see his grandchild (named Beth)...I know I'm reaching here. Judith will also have a playmate.

Milton - He'll try to set things right (thwart the Gov) but be killed in the process. I'm seeing lots of speculation of him rescuing Andrea prior to.

**disclaimer** I've never read one issue of the comic book to know how closey the show follows it.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

Very good point. I'd say these are the top options from each group:

Beth - if not her then Carol (one needs to be around for Judith) Guess it depends on who needs a bigger future love interest more Carl or Daryl. Not sure if Daryl can handle much more loss right now. So my vote is Beth.
    This will devastate Herschel. But Maggie and Glenn can get married...have a daughter..and Herschel will get to see his grandchild (named Beth)...I know I'm reaching here. Judith will also have a playmate.

Milton - He'll try to set things right (thwart the Gov) but be killed in the process. I'm seeing lots of speculation of him rescuing Andrea prior to.

**disclaimer** I've never read one issue of the comic book to know how closey the show follows it.

Daryl is hot just sayin.
  • whiteheaddg
    Options
    Not quite sure how I feel about that finale.

- loss of Andrea isn't that bad - her character arc played out well over the three seasons. She could have saved herself on three separate occassions (twice by killing the governor / once by staying at the prison). Although I'm not sure how badass Andrea couldn't take out one zombie (will attribute it to sleep deprivation and overal weakness from captivity).

- The Governor on the loose is interesting. The gang will always be on their toes knowing that a pure evil sociopath is out there gunning for them

- Not to mention the budding sociopath amongst the group. Carl is headed into a dark place at rocket speed.

I wonder if season four will have a time jump with the prison turned into a nice bucolic setting clear of zombies and with crops planted while The Governor is marshalling an army. October is going to be a long wait.
  • cjlorigan
    Options
    Haha...my first thought at the end of the finale was "Carl needs an attitude adjustment from dear old Dad...and a belt". Little snot. BUT I completely agreed with his rationale for shooting the kid in the woods.

Andrea - Eh...good redemption on her part (like Merle). But she was annoying. Also, even dying Milton was telling her to shut up and hurry!! lol

So glad the prison group is intact, but I don't see that lasting through episode 1 of season 4.

I see the Gov going back to Woodbury and finding it cleaned out (Rick's group will go back for more supplies) and vow vengence. He'll find a way in to the prison and start picking people off in short bursts.
  • whiteheaddg
    Options
    Haha...my first thought at the end of the finale was "Carl needs an attitude adjustment from dear old Dad...and a belt". Little snot. BUT I completely agreed with his rationale for shooting the kid in the woods.

Andrea - Eh...good redemption on her part (like Merle). But she was annoying. Also, even dying Milton was telling her to shut up and hurry!! lol

So glad the prison group is intact, but I don't see that lasting through episode 1 of season 4.

I see the Gov going back to Woodbury and finding it cleaned out (Rick's group will go back for more supplies) and vow vengence. He'll find a way in to the prison and start picking people off in short bursts.

The Governor quit caring about Woodbury after Penny was killed (put down?) and he's been out for vengeance since. Also, he felt betrayed by the Woodbury folks when they refused to help him further with his revenge. I think you're right about the terrorist tactics to get back at the prison gang.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to this scene!

985hj47.gif
  • whiteheaddg
    Options
    OK...who is still on board and caught the season premier?

**SPOILER**

I pat myself on the back for calling Zach's death as soon as they introduced the character.

Are we to assume a particular nasty strain of swine flu has infected the camp?
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Swine flu maybe.... But my thoughts are also on zombie Germs. They are decompossing just at a very slow rate. Well little bits fall off andd wild animals eat the little bits or eats the grass/mushrooms that grow in it. Then they eat the animals. BTW the new "medic" from the Army he's gonna be a problem.......

Did anyone see talking dead after..They had a sneak peak at next weeks episode and I think I know whose doing it
  • whiteheaddg
    Options
    Hmmm...mutating zombie germs would be bad news.

The Army medic is definitely a shady character, but I think too obvious a choice to be the saboteur.
  • whiteheaddg
    Options
    Carol's exile was unexpected. I think Rick underestimates her and her fierce loyalty to the core group. Daryl's reaction should be classic.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Carol's exile was unexpected. I think Rick underestimates her and her fierce loyalty to the core group. Daryl's reaction should be classic.

Daryls gonna flip, but he is fiercely loyal to Rick... Plus it would have caused a huge war in the prison if people had found out what she had done. Plus you know Tyreece is still all crazy mad and I'm pretty sure he could snap her like a twig.....

Also there a thin line between being practical and a sociopath and she kinda crossed it in a big way.... Mainly because she has shown absolutly no remorse about it
  • whiteheaddg
    Options
    Easily one of the best episodes (and most have been great). Are they going to try and set the Governor up to be a sympathetic character or is he just getting motivated to rebuild an empire? I also like that we took a break from the prison gang in order to build some anticipation of Rick talking to Daryl about Carol's exile.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I think last night's episode rocked (march 17 2014). Carol is my new girl crush!!! :noway: