Does anyone factor in a high carb day?

Options
CoCoMa
CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
Just curious to know how many of you primarily low carb, but plan a high carb day? When I say high carb, I don't mean out of control craziness, but a fruit salad, sweet potatoes, or other high-carb healthier foods.
My friend does an Atkins/Paleo combination and it does make the weight loss slower, but she has been losing steadily by mixing it up. It may not work for everyone, but it does for her.
I’m interested in your thoughts on this.

Replies

• livinglc
    livinglc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I used to plan out my weeks dinners and a couple of times a month I'd plan a higher carb meal, such as a soup using sweet potatoes or something that I felt was healthy and worth the carbs. I'm on maintenance now, but would like to lose just 5 more pounds. Just to get to a certain #, even though my doctor is very happy with my current weight. Anyway, I'm comfortable with the program and don't have to super-plan any more,

My weight fluxuates a few #'s and I weigh myself every day -- I'm afraid not to because once I stop, I'm afraid I'll avoid the scale and the reality of where I'm at (because that's what I've done so many times before). So because I am still trying to get to that magic number, when I look at a somewhat higher carb recipe, I put it off until I get to where I want to be. I think that's a mistake because we should be adding good whole nutrients to our meals.

CocoMa, I think you said you had been on low carb before, so you probably know that you need to experiment with carbs when you get into phase 2, OWL(On-going weight loss), and pre-maintenance, so that you learn what your carb tolerance is. Unfortnately, mine is pretty low and I don't have much room for extras.
  • tami6543
    tami6543 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I tend to think that you have to have some higher carb days or your body will adjust to really low carb intake & stop losing. I've been eating out the past week but still staying low carb - but more food - so I haven't gained, but haven't lost either.
  • CoCoMa
    Options
    CocoMa, I think you said you had been on low carb before, so you probably know that you need to experiment with carbs when you get into phase 2, OWL(On-going weight loss), and pre-maintenance, so that you learn what your carb tolerance is. Unfortnately, mine is pretty low and I don't have much room for extras.

I've been on LC before but never really got into OWL, it was either induction or just maintaining 20-30g carbs. If I'm going to do it properly, I know I need to do a true induction (without the nuts & other foods), then transition to the 5g carb increments.

Thanks for the feedback:smile:
  • CoCoMa
    Options
    I tend to think that you have to have some higher carb days or your body will adjust to really low carb intake & stop losing. I've been eating out the past week but still staying low carb - but more food - so I haven't gained, but haven't lost either.

Tami, I've been stuck this past week, but I too eat out a lot and although eating out is pretty much LC, I could be making better choices.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I haven't yet, but I have nothing against it. I followed Mark Sisson's blog for a long time before turning to Atkins so I keep my net carbs low 20 range but I do try my very best to only eat actual food, and meat only from pastured animals. I'm not opposed to a berrie gorge here or there :p
  • livinglc
    Options
    I admire those of you who are able to stay in the 20 carb range. I struggled with that even during induction. My range was 30 to 35 while losing.

Is there anyone else at the maintenance stage? I went through Owl which I recommend you take seriously if you plan to try to find your midrange of carb tolerance. Of course, Those of you who are staying in the 20 carb range as your life plan would not need to do that.
  • tami6543
    tami6543 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Okay - I'm REALLY getting frustrated here! I have been staying in the 20 - 25 carb per day range & I can't move past 146. It's like my new set point is 146. I made a shake last week with a bunch of splenda in it & ever since then I have been stuck at 146. I truly think my body does not like ANY type of artificial anything & that makes Atkins very hard to follow.

I have made my own breakfast bars & that seems to be okay, but pudding or shakes with more than 2 packets of sweetener, or any Atkins bars or shakes seem to stall me for a week or more.

I'm sure this has been why I have not been able to stick with Atkins in the past. I'm hoping that by logging my food & watching these trends this time will be different.
  • CoCoMa
    Options
    Okay - I'm REALLY getting frustrated here! I have been staying in the 20 - 25 carb per day range & I can't move past 146. It's like my new set point is 146. I made a shake last week with a bunch of splenda in it & ever since then I have been stuck at 146. I truly think my body does not like ANY type of artificial anything & that makes Atkins very hard to follow.

I have made my own breakfast bars & that seems to be okay, but pudding or shakes with more than 2 packets of sweetener, or any Atkins bars or shakes seem to stall me for a week or more.

I'm sure this has been why I have not been able to stick with Atkins in the past. I'm hoping that by logging my food & watching these trends this time will be different.

Tami, I wouldn't say that Atkins is hard to follow, but it seems that the artificial stuff negatively effects your progress. If so, you should stay away from that stuff for a while. Are you getting in enought natural fats? What are the ingredients in your breakfast bars?
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I admire those of you who are able to stay in the 20 carb range. I struggled with that even during induction. My range was 30 to 35 while losing.

Is there anyone else at the maintenance stage? I went through Owl which I recommend you take seriously if you plan to try to find your midrange of carb tolerance. Of course, Those of you who are staying in the 20 carb range as your life plan would not need to do that.

I'm at about 30 gross carbs... sometimes higher. It depends how much fibre is in the foods I eat, but typically my total carbs are about 30-35
  • livinglc
    Options
    Hi highervibes, Your average carbs of 30 -- are you in weight loss mode, or are maintaining a weight?
  • livinglc
    Options

• livinglc
    Options
    Hi Tami643, I tried to use the quote to reply, but messed it up somehow.....
    Your problem is exactly where I'm at... I've lost 40 pounds and went into maintenance, expecting that I'd still slowly lose a few pounds. I just wanted to lose 5 more and I've been unable to move the #'s. I go up a few, back down to the same, and have not been able to get below it. That's why I started fitnesspal last week. Some of the LC reading I did said that you might have to look at calories too, so I set my goal at 1500 calories and am seeing if that helps. I also read lots about stalling, and there's no real answer except change up what you are doing. If you are eating really low carb 20-30, try eating 40-50 for a week, then drop back down. Other examples: try eating more fat and less protein or if you typically eat more fat, eat more protein. The point is to just completely change it up to shake up your system.
    The point made that having a high carb day may be good for you so your body doesn't get used to real low carb may be a valid point.

I'd love you to share your breakfast bar recipe!