Great add on to make salad special, add yours to the list

Options
I added Trader Joe's Wild Pink Shrimp In Can to my green salad and it was great.
For a 2 ounce serving it added 40 calories, 1 fat, 8 protein and 300 sodium for the food tracker.

What have you added to your salads to make them special?

Replies

• NavyMommy
    NavyMommy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I love salads. They make up the bulk of most of my lunches and dinners because it's so much lettuce for so few calories. I love turning leftovers from dinner into salad toppings. Tonight's is going to be topped with roasted pork loin with a sweet potato on the side. Lunch today was warmed taco meat and fajita veggies with a Tbsp of sour cream.

Another favorite is using tuna salad as my 'dressing'. 1 can of Tuna, Bell Pepper, Celery, Onion, Salt, Pepper, and 1Tbsp light mayo. It's about 220 calories total and makes for a great filling lunch with lots of protein.

When I have a few extra calories to spare I love making a salad with dried cranberries, blue cheese (feta and goat cheese are good too), homemade glazed walnuts or pecans, and good balsamic vinegar. Yum!!

I am going to have to look for those shrimp next time I'm at Trader Joes. I like that store but don't make it there often because it's a haul.

Oh, and the best salad 'dressing' hands down is a good quality balsamic vinegar. This one is my favorite. http://gourmetblends.us/store/products/traditional-balsamic-vinegar It's really pricey so it's a super special treat but it lasts a long time and at 45 calories a tablespoon (I usually use between .5 and 1 Tbsp for a good sized salad) it's totally worth it!
  • grandmacar
    Options
    Those all sound good NavyMom! Especially the tuna salad one.

My salad dressing of choice is Bolthouse Farms - Creamy Yogurt Dressing Classic Ranch as it has 45 calories for 2 Tbls. and I really like the flavor.
  • Brenda1636
    Brenda1636 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My favorite salad is a Buffalo Chicken Salad. Unfortunately with this salad I like ranch dressing but I get the light dressing to save a bit of the calories. I don't like the Fat Free Ranch unfortunately.
  • Brenda1636
    Brenda1636 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Plus if I make it at home, my chicken fingers are oven baked instead of deep fried.
  • grandmacar
    Options
    nice to the oven fried :-)