Protein

Options
I feel like I am not getting enough protein even though I am meeting the daily requirement. I don't want to add a bunch of extra calories to my diet. Any suggestions?

Replies

• FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    You should strive for about 1g of protein per pound of your lean body mass up to 1g per pound of your total weight.

Simply reduce the amount of fats and or carbohydrates you are eating to leave room for more protein. Protein will help you feel more full and satisfied, you'll welcome the change.
  • Bjninja
    Bjninja Posts: 44
    Options
    Good information! I've heard that you should go for 40% protein/40% carbs/20% fat in your diet. Any truth to this?
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Good information! I've heard that you should go for 40% protein/40% carbs/20% fat in your diet. Any truth to this?

% aren't as important as the absolute number, but keep in mind that protein and fats are essential. You can live without carbs (even though it's not very fun), hence my 35/35/30 recommendation
  • beth69tx
    beth69tx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How would one know how much lean body mass they have?
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    How would one know how much lean body mass they have?

You can measure it with a handheld BEI device, 3 skinfold caliper test, underwater weighing, DEXA scan, BodPod, or some other medical advice. I have the handheld and the skin calipers in my office.

As a general rule of thumb (for women) if you're overweight but not severely overweight, about 70% of your bodyweight is lean mass.
  • kathyalbrecht79
    kathyalbrecht79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great advice! Thanks!!!