Fasting Blood Sugar test

Options
I am wondering how this test works. Wouldn't a fasting blood test give super low numbers? If a type 2 doesn't eat, I'd think that, so is it the 'low' numbers that confirm one is type 2 or would a type 2 still have high numbers after fasting this long?

Replies

• ldg323
    ldg323 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    A type 2 has higher numbers after fasting because their body is not using the sugar in their system for nutrition. It just stays there.

The higher the number, the higher the amount of sugar in your blood.

A non type 2 person's fasting number will normally be between 80 -100.
  • tracygolden
    tracygolden Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My fasting was 155 when I was going through routine screenings at the doctor's office. That was what alerted the doc that I MIGHT be diabetic. Then they run the A1C to confirm.
  • lamourlady
    Options
    I almost want to demand the A1c test and am wondering why my doctor keeps sending me for the blood glucose test. This article reads:

"Yes. In 2009, an international expert committee recommended the A1C test as one of the tests available to help diagnose type 2 diabetes and prediabetes.1 Previously, only the traditional blood glucose tests were used to diagnose diabetes and prediabetes.

Because the A1C test does not require fasting and blood can be drawn for the test at any time of day, experts are hoping its convenience will allow more people to get tested—thus, decreasing the number of people with undiagnosed diabetes. However, some medical organizations continue to recommend using blood glucose tests for diagnosis.

1The International Expert Committee. International Expert Committee report on the role of the A1C assay in the diagnosis of diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2009;32(7):1327–1334."

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/A1CTest/#1

Don't get me wrong, I do NOT wish to have diabetes, but my body is telling me something is wrong and in order to fix it I need to know the facts of why it is not working properly. I am just so impatient and frustrated here. grrrr!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Technically, you need to have two tests in the diabetes range to be diagnosed. Most doctors will usually do a fasting blood glucose check first, followed by an HbA1c if warranted.
  • lamourlady
    Options
    Thanks for your information!!! I went today for blood work and the technician told me that it called for the A1c test, so we shall see. So glad my doctor's office has relented and finally will take this more seriously cause I know I sure am!!!
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Good for you that you are taking proactive action of your health. I wish I had been more proactive when I was first diagnosed 7 years ago.

My A1C in August, 2012 - 8.4
    A1C in January, 2013 - 8.1
    A1C yesterday - 6

It can be done!!! Diet, exercise, testing and (for me) insulin have greatly reduced these numbers!!!