Started yesterday!

Options
I started the C25K program yesterday. I was really surprised with my ability to not only keep up, but to finish without taking a break! I tried to start last summer but gave up entirely after only 8 minutes. I'm really excited to push on and I hope to use this program to aid in my weight loss journey.

Question: What do you do on your "off" days? I am trying to do at least 30 minutes of exercise every day to motivate my metabolism, so today I did 30 min on the treadmill (3.0 mph, 50% incline).

Also, I heard somewhere that runners need carbs in order to preform. Is that true? I'm trying to cut back on carbs (I'm a bread-aholic) to lose weight, but I don't want to fatigue myself if that's what I need.

Please feel free to add me! I would love to have some "running" buddies!

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting the program! On my off days I do some sort of strength training. Right now it's P90X. I just do the three strength routines each week and substitute running on the other three days of the program. I would recommend ab/core work on each off day, one day of leg strength training each week, one day of arms/shoulders each week, and one day of chest/back each week. You don't have to follow a structured program like P90X but it sure helps. There is free stuff out there on Youtube, I like the BeFit in 90 videos and used those last year.

At this point you don't need to worry about getting a lot of carbs. Even running a full 5K is not going to require "carb loading" like a longer distance race. I dropped my carbs to 30% when I restarted C25K at the beginning of March and I actually feel great. I did that to match the recommended macros for P90X phase 1. No bread, rice or pasta all month.

Good luck and I hope you stick with the program!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Great job! Sounds like you're more fit already. Getting through the first day is a major milestone!

The thing to remember is that SLOW and steady wins the race - run slowly so that you can complete the entire session.

As Tim said, carbs aren't an issue at this point. It's later, when you're running around 15 miles a week that you're going to need sufficient carbs to make each run effective. Even then, many runners over do it.

Like Tim, I do strength training or a yoga class on my off days. If you really, really want to do cardio, a stationary bike makes a great non-running substitute.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Vardaeml mentioned a bike and that reminded me - I also ride my mountain bike a couple of times a week. Either on the trails or just on the neighborhood streets, it's a great way to cross-train your legs and can actually help your running performance.
  • GC2B
    GC2B Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends what you enjoy doing.
    I do Jillian Michaels workouts or use my elliptical/cross trainer too.
    I've read alot about core strength helping runners so I am thinking of that when I chose workouts.

I don't think carbs would be much of an issue at this point, make sure you get a good amount of protein in though.