new and struggling

2»

Replies

• Aloha and Mahalo for your warm welcomes,

I was testing the food log-in's to see how it worked and discovered that I can use it as a tool for portion control. A great variety and a vast selection of brands to choose from. I typed in my Fuji Apples and was shocked to see that if I ate the whole apple I would use up most of my sugar . . . so I ate 2/3. (Saving the other 1/3 for tomorrows breakfast.)
    Does anyone know if there is a group that posts low carb/sugar recipes?

Went to see my cardiologist today, he said I can start walking,10 min x 2 a day, and in a week, I can increase it.

The hardest thing I did today was give away my favorite snacks, all of them.Sugar and Salt Heaven.
    However, I did not deprive myself of something sweet. I had bought Murray's Sugar Free Vanilla Wafers. Not bad.
    Now if I can figure out how to paste that little bar on my posts, I'll be happy.

Aloha,
    Lani
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Was diagnosed with diabetes less than a year ago and did well for the first couple of months then began to back off as I just contributed my tiredness and other physical symptoms to being overweight. Went in to have my A1C checked on Monday, doctor called on Tuesday and said I needed to schedule appointment. I now have until June to prove that I can get this under control or I am looking at Insulin. Had joined myfitnesspal a while ago and have just re-committed, and have loss 9bls so far, but could use some insight on what are healthy and filling snacks or any other support available. Am in another group but at this time I think I need to pay attention to my blood sugars...Help!!!

Hi there Allen,

Welcome to the T2 diabetes support group and, our "special little corner" here, on MFP!

Great job in wanting to pay better attention and your new found commitment to better diabetes management, as it's extremely important.

This is an awesome group, and to be even more specific, this thread with it's genuine support, encouragement and very helpful contributions from the others here eager to see you succeed.

I would encourage you to check out the sites previously mentioned up-thread, as there's a wealth of information on living successfully with Type 2 diabetes.

http://www.bloodsugar101.com/

diabetes.co.uk.

http://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/
    Tthis is one of the best Diabetes forums I've found online, it's a great site with it's members from around the globe.
    You'll find, a forum section, with Food & Diet, Low Carb eating for diabetics and Diabetic friendly recipe contributions by forum
    members here:

http://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/food-diet/

Good luck, I wish you great success!

Bob
  • allensachers
    allensachers Posts: 20 Member
    It feels good to find a site that has people who understand and can provide experience and support, Thank you all, and I hope to be involved in this process for a long time. It is nice to know I don't have to do it alone.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Lani and Allen, Welcome to a great site with people who are working on improving their health and controlling their diabetes. The experience of others has been helpful to me as well. I'm glad to also see some new sites to check out. Wishing you both great success as we all work on this together.
  • pmcbrady
    pmcbrady Posts: 31
    Welcome, I too am new to MFP, but have been a type 2 for close to 15 years. I did great for the first few years, but gained a lot of weight with pregnancy and then went into denial. I totally understand what you mean! I've found in my 3 weeks of MFP that the biggest thing for me has been adding consistent exercise. It really helps keep my sugars in a better.range I was honest with my dr. and am now on metformin, glyburide and lantus in the evening. I really didn't want to add the lantus, but in order to minimize the damage, needed to do so until "I got my act together". That's what I feel I'm doing now. I've lost 5lbs since I've started, but am not too caught up in the numbers of the scale because I'm more concerned with my sugars and how my clothes feel. I really think if you stick with logging food and exercise (honestly- that is a new concept for me in not "cheating" on numbers etc.) you will see the results you want. I do believe that this time I am finally making it a life style change and that slow and steady with it will win the race. Good luck. I look forward to reading more of this group's stories.
  • I was just diagnosed a couple of weeks ago, and attended my first diabetes education class on Friday. I have a lot to learn, and am thankful that all of you are here to learn from.
  • cadburyegg
    cadburyegg Posts: 2 Member
    Truckinwife, I feel for you. My blood sugar kept climbing, and it finally hit 260. I had spikes, and drops so bad I felt like crap daily. I could get in the pool for 30 minutes and my blood sugar would drop 100 points, and I needed help getting out. After five years of being type 2 I finally gave in and found a endocrinologist 2 1/2 months ago. He told me to change my diet, or go on 4 shots a day. I like to eat, so putting a bullet in my head was a better choice. He told me to eat what I wanted, but I could have no more than 30 carbs per meal. 90 carbs a day. Are you serious? Do you know how little 30 carbs is? I'd rather die. Anyway, in two months I dropped 38 lbs. I logged every meal on myfitnesspal, and got my butt on my stationary bike for 20 to 30 minutes a day. It sucked. However, my blood sugar went from 260 to 124 this morning, and I'm level for the first time in five years. My triglycerides have dropped from 355 to 114 in two months. I've managed to come off one drug, and working on another. Does it suck big time? Yes it does, but so does the thought of 4 shots a day. I still take one day a week, and cheat just to keep my sanity. However, it must be working because the endo told me to keep doing what I'm doing he's happy. You just have to be determined it won't beat you. It can be done.