Looking for CMP disease sufferers

Options
WifeofPastor
WifeofPastor Posts: 26 Member
In 1989 I had two rear-end car accidents in a week giving me severe whiplash. Since then I have been diagnosed with MS; after 3 years no you don't have MS. You have severe neck damage that isn't treatable. The pain progressively became worse I moved from anti-inflammatory meds, which destroyed my stomach lining; to just straight pain meds that have become stronger over the years. In 2000 I became an amputee due to a rare spindle cell sarcoma in my right foot. Obviously this did not help matters.

A few weeks ago my current doctor said to research Chronic Myofaschial Pain disease (CMP) as she believes that is what ails me. I purchased a book on Fibromyalgia and CMP and as I read through this book I discover that the many many things I have suffered with all my life can be attributed to TrP's. I've waited 20 years for a diagnosis and here it is and it fits like a glove, one I don't want. Never the less now I know what is wrong I can begin to work out treatment, more importantly I need to loose weight and try to be more active. For this to work I need a support group and having MFP suggested to me and to search for people who would understand my issues. Also have a tool to track my activities and eating habits.

So here I am... I don't want a pity party but I do want to feel better, to eventually cut down on the meds, to be able to do things and not suffer for the next week or so. I've waited too long to have this cured, although it is curable according to what I've read, as I also have osteoarthritis in many of my joints now.

I am 61 and want to be active, do gardening all day if I want, or clean my house from top to bottom and not suffer afterwards.
Ronnie

Replies

• tanyab222
    tanyab222 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello Ronnie,
    I'm sorry to hear about all you have been through. I too have CMP, but, its mixed with in with my Fibromyalgia and a million other chronic ailments that I have. Its definitely a never ending battle for sure. I don't know about curable, but, I have heard that Myofascial pain is treatable for sure. Some time back I went to a physical therapist who specialized in it. Have you tried seeing if there is one by you that specializes in it? She was wonderful but I was only able to see her 1x per week which made the treatment really basically useless (she was 1hr away so too far for me to go 3x+ a week). But maybe try that out if you haven't already? Just a thought. I know there are quite a few P.T. that are now steering into that direction as many people suffer with it and have a wide assortment of backgrounds. I hope you are able to find doctors/P.T/ whatever it is you need to help you get started on it all! I definitely understand the need, motivation, desire to be active, or in my case, "active" which at this point is not easy for me at all.
    Take care,
    Tanya B.
  • Cinnabon64
    Options
    Hi Ronnie,
    I to am sorry for the many struggles you have been thru. I suffer from MCP as well as well as FM. For some reason I often forget about the MPC and just think of the whole pain issue I suffer from as FM. In truth, most of my pain is from MPC, and the rest of my ailments from FM. I get. Massage every 4 wks and take OxyNeo and flexeril to help with the pain and trigger points. I have had trigger point injections years ago but can't really say if they helped or not.

I wish you luck on your journey towards better health !
  • WifeofPastor
    WifeofPastor Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you Tanya and Cinnabon64 for your encouragement. We have one Message therapist who has a ton of specialized training including CMP TrP release therapy. Her extensive resume makes her very much in demand so I am hoping she can fit me in at least once every two weeks. When I lived in Thunder Bay, ON area I had a wonderful message therapist, so far I have not been able to find anyone who doesn't give me more pain rather than less, One I went to tried to straighten my head, which is no longer level but tips to one side and is slightly turned, I suffered for two weeks after that treatment and never went back. I know one of my Trp's is at the top of my neck just under my scull on the right side and it is an instant migraine trigger, so I have to warn them not to push on that lump. One of the things it states in the book I am reading is that the treatment for FM adds more problems for CMP and CMP treatment makes FM worse. The more I read the more I realize that I have had this a lot longer than 20 years. There are issues I've had since I was a child that are also early signs of CMP.

Summer is coming, at least I hope it is with all the snow still around I have to wonder, I want to be able to get outside and work in my garden. I usually begin slowly about 5 or 10 mins a day and then build up to and hour and then I rest. Most times I over do things because I get so involved in what I am doing I forget the toll it takes on my body. I usually regret it the next few days. I'm slowly learning to make sure my environment is not going to make my life miserable, so my work station is set up for me. I realized that I cannot sit at the church keyboard / organ and play for the whole service as I don''t sleep because of the pain I am in, so now I use my keyboard, when I'm the pianist /organist for a service, so I can stand when I play.,. that alone has made a ton of difference. I guess it is a case of making changes and seeing what works and what doesn't. One thing I do know is the extra weight I am carrying is hurting more than helping. I've got old before I realized how difficult it is to get the weight of now, but determination is the key.
    If I find a new solutions I will let you know. I take pain meds on a regular basis and that keeps the pain under control. One Doctor told me to never chase the pain but to get it under control and keep it under control even if it means taking a regular dose of pain meds every day.
    Thanks again.
    Ronnie