Calorie intake

Options
eddynigma
eddynigma Posts: 18 Member
How much is your calorie intake? Do you aim to eat more on derby days? Do you eat back all your exercise calories?

I had started with my fitness pal recommending I eat 1200 calories ( a pound and a half loss a week setting) but found out that was just not enough for me, I was tired and sore and my endurance didn't seem to be where I knew it could be. I switched my calorie intake to around 1570 calories per day ( closer to TDEE - 20%) and started eating back almost all my exercise calories, and noticed a good improvement in my endurance, and my muscles don't hurt as much after derby. With our first bouting season coming up I'm wondering if I need to eat a little more or bouting days, or just more protein?

Replies

• eddynigma
    Options
    no one?
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I eat more on practice days. We have a small team, and as one of the 2 "mainstay" jammers, I get a LOT of work in.

I have MFP set at 1200 but I eat back the exercise calories. My day-to-day is pretty low activity (desk job). I have a BodyMedia Fit armband that tracks the metabolism (and sleep). It's a great tool and pretty accurate in my experience. I typically burn around 2,400 calories on my practice days. Since I'm trying to lose some body fat, I'm eating about 1,800 - 1,900 on practice days.

For bouting days, protein is for building muscle, so that's a post-game thing. Before, you want carbs (and if you're like me, potassium). Start the carb intake the day or two before, but don't go crazy. During the bout, I like to have something like gatorade AND a jug of water. Also, I like to take vitamin B (it's one of those things that's in energy drinks like 5 Hour) and sometimes caffeine. Of course, make sure you're well hydrated, that's probably #1. Just listen to your body, you'll figure out what you need.
  • jillybeansalad
    Options
    I know a few skaters that also like to have jelly beans to help with blood sugar during the bout.
  • eddynigma
    Options
    awesome thank you!
  • jillybeansalad
    Options
    No problem. Like I said, a lot of it was just adjusting to how I felt in my first few bouts. I still get incredibly nervous before bouts, which is a whole 'nother issue.
  • grendella
    grendella Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    hey.

i eat 1355 calories on derby days, 3 times a week. i eat 150g pro 72g fat and 24g carbs.
    i eat 2000 calories on weight training days, 4 times a week. i eat 150g pro 32g fat and 275g carbs.

this is basic carb cycling.

i practice leangains style fasting, eating between the hours of 12 and 8. this means i never eat breakfast, which works out well cause i work early shifts.

i make sure i have a high carb day the day BEFORE a bout..
  • eddynigma
    Options
    That's an awesome amount of protein! I'm new to this whole macro's thing, and often find it hard to eat more protein. We don't have protein powder as of yet since we have to travel out of town to get some.

I want to start weight training soon, maybe I will look into carb cycling as well.

Thanks for the response!