New to T2...

Options
monicabg81
monicabg81 Posts: 4 Member
Good day everyone,
My name is Monica, and I have recently dignosed to have T2. I am 31, and diabetes runs really bad in my family. I lost my mom 6yrs ago, and she had every medical problem under the sun that diabetes can cause, limbs ambutated, kidney failure, heart dieasese, blindness, and she finally lost the fight at age 49. I just can't imagine not being alive to see my daughter have a family. I am scared to death that if I don't make some major changes in my life I too will die too young too. I, like I'm sure many other's struggle with not only what can I eat, but what can I make that my whole family can enjoy too? Just looking to find some support on this new journey of life.

Replies

• robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi Monica and welcome to this group. Many people have shared your fellings of fear and confusion when faced with a diagnosis of Diabetes. The good news is that for the vast majority of people a good level of control can be achieved, leading to a healthy and active life. You have made a great decision in joining this group. You have every incentive to try to get your blood sugars under control. The great news is that the MFP programme really does work if applied correctly. It needs honesty in logging EVERYTHING you eat, determination to succeed, persistence and patience.
    One of the frustrating things about dealing with diabetes is that it is a very individual condition, so what works for one person may not necessarily work for you. Each of us has to work out what works for us as individuals and then stick to that plan like glue. It also means that you should treat prescriptive advice, no matter how well intentioned, with extreme caution. If you have not yet got a place on a diabetes education course then you should follow this up as soon as possible. The vast majority of people who do these courses, find them to be extremely valuable.
    You asked for some advice about what you can and cannot eat. The good news is that apart from choosing wisely and avoiding high carb items like pastry, sugars, confectionary etc you can all eat the same things as your family, providing your total carb intake is kept within limits. There is a consensus view that a good target to aim for would be 45 net carbs per main meal with about 20 carbs allowed for snacks if required. You can get specific examples by looking at the diaries of people in this group who have their diaries open. Information is power and I suggest that you read over the various boards in this group and get a feel for the site. When you're ready to ask questions you will find that there are lots of genuine people on here who are wqilling to share their experience and provide encouragement. I wish you well on your journey and will certainly help in any way I can.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Welcome Monica. The people here are wonderful support and have some excellent information. Glad to have you on board as we all work to improve our health.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I am scared to death that if I don't make some major changes in my life I too will die too young too.
    Welcome to the group Monica. I felt the same way (scared) when I was first diagnosed. I channeled that fear into making changes in my life to improve my health. So far it's working. I no longer fear T2, I do respect the harm that it can do if it goes unchecked.

Regarding what you can eat, in general T2's reduce their carbs. The level of daily carbs is unique for each individual. Some people keep their carbs under 80g/day others have up to 150g/day. Roberts suggestion of 45g/meal is a good starting point.

You'll find some good recipes here:

http://yourlighterside.com/your-lighter-side-cookbook/
    http://www.sugarfreemom.com/
  • ksmcanter
    ksmcanter Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you have been through so much! I know what you mean as far as losing your Mother. I would love to have you as a friend...maybe we can go through this challenge together.
  • ksmcanter
    ksmcanter Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hello there! You posts are so encouraging. I would love to have you as a friend! I am a 60 yr old diabetic with many health issues, including depression as one of them.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi Monica. Glad to see you here. Between the diet and nutrition support and the good company, I think you'll get a handle on your T2 just fine. First I would like to say that diabetes is not a death sentence or a horror story unless you don't do anything about it. I have had T2 for twenty years and still have healthy eyes, no neuropathy (that's what leads to amputation), and well functioning kidneys.

Advice to anyone recently diagnosed: get knowlegable about diabetes. Your doctor only sees you periodically so you need to be in charge of the day to day and you need to know what you're doing to manage that well. Once I started doing some reading I was astonished at how much I didn't understand about diabetes even though a number of people in may family had had it for years. My favorite reference is a book entitled "Diabetes for Dummies" - it's not too expensive (softback) and its worth its weight in the confidence it will give you.

Good luck to you and good living - with T2.
  • monicabg81
    monicabg81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the warm welcoming and the great advice! I look forward to our time together ;)
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Welcome - I am the same age as you and diagnosed last year. My dad had it and I am not sure he managed it well although I was not living at home so I did not see complications first hand. He passed away at age 60 though.
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi there Monica,

Welcome, so glad you joined us. This truly is, a great group of warm people, very supportive and so encouraging too.

I wish you much success, I hope to offer you any help I can on your new journey.

Bob
  • Dakota106
    Dakota106 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am new to the group and find a lot of inspiration here.I am still working on what works for me. I am finding lot's of fresh veggies,lean protein and a few whole grain carbs seem to be what I need. But as someone said it is all individual. Good luck! Diane
  • wcucats77
    wcucats77 Posts: 180
    Options
    Hi Monica... You have come to the right place, MFP! Everyone here is very supportive and as we share information, we realize this journey is not overwhelming. Follow the advice of your doctor and everyone on here will help you make it way past your daughter growing up and seeing your granchildren grow up and posper. You can do this !!!

Ask anyone on here for help or advise anytime.

Good luck on this path and remember help is only an email away.
    WCUCATS77
  • Liongoddess
    Liongoddess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Welcome Monica. This is a great place to get support. As someone previously said, I have found that each diabetic is very individual and what works for some may not work for another. The best advise I was given early on was to "eat to my meter." This simply means that I am careful to test to see how my body reacts to different foods. In the beginning I tested as much as 6 times per day. Through that process I found the foods my body tolerates, and those that cause my blood sugar to spike. This has really helped me to build a healthy diet that my body responds well to.

I'm glad you're here. A diagnosis of diabetes can really be scary, but it can be managed.
  • xxjoellexx
    xxjoellexx Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I was so lost, depressed, and confused too, BUT, thanks to research, this website, the friends, and support, I realized and you will too, that there are a LOT of people on low carb diets, and you are not alone! Keep the carbs in check, pair your carbs with protein, exercise, and log every bite, and you will feel GREAT very soon! Add people from this thread, read diaries, get ideas on food........but really, we just need to eat like how EVERYONE should be eating. Eliminating processed food, white sugar, white flour. I feel better than I ever did, AND I have lost 32 pounds. All since January! YOU CAN DO IT. Diabetes isnt a death sentence, its a life sentence. :) YOU CONTROL It, IT DOESNT CONTROL YOU.