Trigger Foods

Options
Fr3shStrt
Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
I believe in IIFYM, I also believe in the caveat- as long as it isn't a trigger food. Seems as though I have a lot of trigger foods (ice cream being one of them :sad:). Does there come a point in this process that these trigger foods no longer have such an affect? Basically... will there be a day that I can eat a 1/2 cup of ice cream and not lose all will power and finish the carton?

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging so this turns up on my feed. I do not have significant issues, with the exception of Cadbury's chocolate, which I usually do not have in the house for that reason.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    That day never came for me. I am way more comfortable not eating things that make me a) eat too much of them and b) feel bad physically & emotionally afterwards. So, I don't eat refined sugars. I eat only small quantities of fruits. And doing that, after a while, sugar things don't call to me any more and I feel much better than I ever did when I ate those things.

I think some people have a body such that it will never be easy eat and enjoy 1/2 cup of ice cream. I have one of those bodies :bigsmile:
  • sdalhall
    sdalhall Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Also tagging because I don't know, but I really hope there is a point where trigger foods no longer trigger. For me, it seems like the longer I do this, the more triggers I have. Just about anything with sugar makes me feel out of control. Intermittent fasting has helped. I don't want anything during my fasting period (usually 14-16 hours), until I take the first bite. After that, you better get out of the way because I'm inhaling all the food!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Well in my opinion that is why when I first started on this journey I had enough common sense to know that I had to deal with the mental side of things first. I had to conquer my addictions to food, and learn that I control the food and it will no longer control me... Sure in the beginning I had to rid the house of all trigger foods but through therapy and working through my addictions I started to add them back in... I will never be a so called "clean eater" simply because I do not believe there is any food that should be off limits regardless to nutritional content. So I have added ALL FOODS back into my life and by doing this my relationship with food has completely changed. Knowing that I can have whatever I want as long as it fits into my Caloric intake I don't feel deprived... It has taken alot of hard work to get to this point but for me anyway this has been my path and I gotta say it seems to be working so far..... Best of Luck...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Well in my opinion that is why when I first started on this journey I had enough common sense to know that I had to deal with the mental side of things first. I had to conquer my addictions to food, and learn that I control the food and it will no longer control me... Sure in the beginning I had to rid the house of all trigger foods but through therapy and working through my addictions I started to add them back in... I will never be a so called "clean eater" simply because I do not believe there is any food that should be off limits regardless to nutritional content. So I have added ALL FOODS back into my life and by doing this my relationship with food has completely changed. Knowing that I can have whatever I want as long as it fits into my Caloric intake I don't feel deprived... It has taken alot of hard work to get to this point but for me anyway this has been my path and I gotta say it seems to be working so far..... Best of Luck...

Thanks Ed.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Thanks Ed.

:drinker:
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input!

Its comforting to know that I'm not the only one with this issue.

@Ed, I'd like to know more about your process and therapy to overcome food addiction. I'm sending you a friend request, hopefully you respond :flowerforyou:
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It really does get easier. But I believe years of therapy for issues that really had nothing to do with food is what has helped. And not hating myself anymore and believing I deserve to look after and respect my body.