organic/clean question

Options
dirtbikegirl5
dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
I have a question, may be dumb, but I am still learning the clean/organic thing. Please advise on your thoughts on cheese. I eat the veggie slices, but this is still processed, etc. Certainly not clean. Do those of you with clean/organic living cut out cheese entirely or is there a specific type you eat? I asked because there is organic butter and organic yogurt. And, what about ice cream? Other than the milk free ice cream, is there anything that is okay to eat when it comes to having a dessert in the clean/organic eating?

Replies

• jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have a question, may be dumb, but I am still learning the clean/organic thing. Please advise on your thoughts on cheese. I eat the veggie slices, but this is still processed, etc. Certainly not clean. Do those of you with clean/organic living cut out cheese entirely or is there a specific type you eat? I asked because there is organic butter and organic yogurt. And, what about ice cream? Other than the milk free ice cream, is there anything that is okay to eat when it comes to having a dessert in the clean/organic eating?

Technically eating clean doesn't include dairy since it is processed. I eat greek yogurt, cheese (mostly white cheeses), and butter, though. For dessert we find a lot of recipes using almond milk, cocoa, vanilla extract, 70% dark chocolate, almond flour, etc. Or even just eating berries/melon does the trick for a sweet fix. I hope this helps!
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I still eat cheese, I just make sure it's organic. That goes for all my diary. I still eat dairy because I can't get enough protein into my day without it yet. And I love Greek yogurt.

Everyone may have different definitions of what's 'clean' and what isn't, so you'll have to decide what you can do with your dollars.

I prefer not to eat anything with the words hydrolyzed, hydrogenated, or artificial in the ingredient list... And damn was it hard to say goodbye to the Velveeta, but I did it!

Wishing you well with your choices!
  • Marga40
    Marga40 Posts: 25
    Options
    The only dairy I've eliminated is milk, which I replaced with unsweetened almond milk. I have 2% greek yogurt pretty regularly, and some organic cheeses, and cottage cheese. I also cook with butter.

The veggie cheeses strike me as being highly manufactured, I guess. Also I think most of them are soy based, which for me personally is a no-go.

Try this for a great dessert: freeze a peeled banana, put it in the blender or food processor for an ice cream replacement. Add a 1/2 tsp of cocoa powder (or cocoa nibs), or maybe a touch of vanilla bean or frozen strawberries for different flavors. Yum.
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I still eat cheese, I just make sure it's organic. That goes for all my diary. I still eat dairy because I can't get enough protein into my day without it yet. And I love Greek yogurt.

Everyone may have different definitions of what's 'clean' and what isn't, so you'll have to decide what you can do with your dollars.

I prefer not to eat anything with the words hydrolyzed, hydrogenated, or artificial in the ingredient list... And damn was it hard to say goodbye to the Velveeta, but I did it!

Wishing you well with your choices!

This!