Not sure...but suspect it!

Options
ShrinkingKitt
ShrinkingKitt Posts: 36 Member
Hi there! I joined this group as I'm pretty sure I have some sort of thyroid issue, but it hasn't been officially "diagnosed" yet, and I am not on meds yet. However, all the signs are there, including a low T3 level taken last year - but the dr didn't do anything at the time. I'm kinda pissed about that, because I ended up being really tired a lot, and gained 30 lbs in about a year's time. I had NEVER been as heavy as I am now. I also had a miscarriage in January of this year (only two months ago). I have gluten-intolerance, so unfortunately the miscarriage could be because of issues with that, or thyroid, or just bad luck - as apparently many first-time pregnancies end in miscarriage. I am just really wanting to take off this extra weight I'm lugging around, and get to where I feel HEALTHY again. I just feel like I'm going through the motions, fighting depression, and forcing myself to try to get in shape again. It is nice to have such a great support system through groups like this. Thank you!

Replies

• crumptet29
    Options
    Hi ShrinkingKitt, I feel your pain. I gained 25lbs in about 2 years not knowing that there is actually anything wrong with me. I've stuggled through all the same symptoms, including a misscarrage. I am very new to my diagnosis and was put on Levothyroxine. Haven't felt any difference yet but it can take up to 8 weeks to start feeling better and that's if the dosage is right. Most Dr's will check your TSH via a blood test and if your result fall in the "normal" range they will tell you nothing is wrong with you. Nothing is more frusturating!! I went to 2 different dr's and both told me that nothing was wrong. Your best bet is to get an appointment with an endocrinologist and get them to do an ultrasound on your thyroid. Blood test don't work for everything and unfortunatlly we have to be a little pushy to get some Dr's to understand that there is no way that what we are feeling is "nomal". A great book I've started reading is "The Thyroid Solution Diet". Hopefully this will help with the weight that I've been struggling to lose for the last year. Hang in there and good luck with everything!!
  • faunae17
    faunae17 Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi there! I really feel for you. I am hypothyroid due to Hashimotos. I have lost a pregnancy also. Over the years, I had changed doctors many times. I have found that most general family doctors or internists don't know enough about hypothyroidism to be seeing these patients. In 2003, the American Endocrinologists' Society changed the reference range for TSH to be .3-3.0. Many doctors and laboratories still go by the old range of 3-5. When my TSH is over 3.0 I feel way too tired. I now go to a very caring Endocrinologist who keeps my TSH at 1.0. I feel great and the weight is coming off.
    I have had problems with being on hormones for various female problems, plus being on steroids for back issues. I really gained weight then. The doctors are certain they are right about meds not interferring with thyroid meds, but then I talk to my endocrinologist, that is not the case. So now I run any medicine changes across her first. Hope this helps. Hypothyroidism is manageable, but be wary of doctors not up to date on the latest information.