Heart Rate

KellyUVA
KellyUVA Posts: 255 Member
Mark Sisson preaches keep HR fairly low while doing long bouts of movements. I have found that I really need to slow down to keep in this "fat burn" range (to the point I get kind of bored).

Thoughts from the group?

Replies

• Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    For me, it all depends on how you define long periods of movement. If I were going to go on a 2-3 hour hilly hike it would seem necessary for me to stay at a lower heart rate, or else I'd wear out at a faster clip (which would elevate my heart rate) and then probably wouldn't get the same fat burning type benefits.

On the other hand if I'm on my elliptical for 30 - 45 minutes, then I do like to push it for the cardio, heart strengthening benefits.

Hope you get some more responses!
  • KellyUVA
    Thanks Julia. I definitely agree about the walk.

I was on the elliptical today and thought I would try out the fat burning setting. It just didn't feel like much of a workout.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    I think his whole point is that a lot of people likely work out much harder then is really necessary. I used to just push through it and be huffing throughout my workouts, but now I take a lot of breaks and watch my heart rate to keep it in an optimal range. I've actually found exercising to be much more enjoyable this way personally.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Yes, what Purplesaurus said.
    Before we all had sedentary jobs, we moved about at slow paces for longer periods of time. He recently made a comparison about walking a marathon (not much work) vs running a marathon (intense work), which I found illustrated that point very well.

I don't think there is all that much truth or value in "fat burning/carb burning heart rate zones". I think that is much more manageable from a nutritional standpoint.
  • Thyme4change
    Thyme4change Posts: 46 Member
    Interesting topic..

I started getting into shape 4 years ago after the kids were in high school and university. I went from zero to full exercise and killed myself for years, never getting any fitter, gaining wt and exhausted. I know this isn't typical. To get more to the point, a few mths I started using a heart rate monitor and realized I was way over training. Wake up call! pulled it back a lot, which ego wise was difficult. Soon as recovered from over ex which took a weekend, I was able to increase my time and days working out very quickly. and the amazingly burned more calories, especially when I go to the gym 4-5x rather than the 3x. As soon as I pulled back on exertion and increased time, I started to leave the gym feeling good, rather than exhausted.

This read confusing to me so here it is simplified. Maybe ;)

Jan-Feb
    elliptical avg. 30 min at a good pace, or what I thought was a 'good' pace.
    3x a week
    always felt tired/exhausted
    was getting stronger ea week but always wiped out and need a day of rest
    burned a fair amount of calories, fat or carb...who knows

Mar-Apr
    elliptical avg 30 min, plus bike 15-20 min, some walk/run outside and just added days of weight training
    4-5x a week, still energy to have a great weekend w hubby
    Feel great w a wonderful adrenalin or whatever high ;-)
    Burn a lot more calories, because I am working out more days and feeling happy and energized :D

For me...slowing down has made all the difference in my cal burn, fitness and endurance. Not to mention my overall happiness, not crashing the entire day after ex..what a waste for me :0

I do do days of higher cardio for fitness training because, I am going on my first hike soon and I want to condition my lungs to help w/ the altitude. I do also as someone mentioned, take nice intentional deep breaths, just as I do when I am hiking.

It will be really interesting to see how I do this first hike with this new slower approach...for me it works...I am 48 y/o former couch potato mom gone rogue and proud of it :D Not there, but I will...

Good Luck!
  • KellyUVA
    Thanks for sharing!