I need FRIENDS & MAJOR Support! PCOS & Insulin Resistance

Options
Hello,

My name is MeMe. I'm in my early 20s and got off birth control last May, after having gained 20 lbs while on it. You'd think the weight gain would stop, but NO -- I proceeded to gain ANOTHER 20 lbs. Now, I am 40 lbs heavier than I was a year ago and the weight simply will not come off. I believe I have PCOS and insulin resistance due to not having a period in several months, a waist of over 35 inches, LOTS of fat in the belly region and much difficulty losing weight. I have tried to go low carb and not eat fast food and such but it's soooooo hard resisting. I want to get healthy again and I want to do it naturally without medication. Please help me!

Replies

• kristi321
    kristi321 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi MeMe, welcome! I was diagnosed with PCOS in my 20's as well and weight has always been a factor for me. Through all my experiences so far, I would definitely classify myself as insulin resistant and extremely sensitive to carbs and sugar. The roller coaster for me can be quite severe with cravings and being out of control. The only time I feel in real control and can actually lose fat is when eating low carb. It has taken many years to come to that conclusion and it's a process for me to keep on the path. I fall off but I know how important it is to learn this lifestyle and make it permanent. The longer you stay clean from the excess carbs, the easier it is to keep faithful to it. The first week is the worst but push through and it gets much better. You can do it!

Feel free to add me :-)
  • bethierose
    bethierose Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hey MeMe! I am not in my 20's (anymore.. :( haha) but I have been diagnosed with PCOS and was at one time diagnosed with insulin resistance.. I am now 31, and have learned a lot about managing the symptoms of the PCOS and am no longer considered IR (insulin resistant) woohoo!! My first suggestion would be to get a proper diagnosis. Your primary care doctor may be able to diagnose you, but may not have the expertise needed to help you navigate all of the challenges if you do have PCOS. A lot of OB/GYNs also don't have a lot of training, although I have had two that were self-proclaimed experts on the subject. I will tell you that I recently did a lot more research on PCOS and have discovered that the primal/paleo lifestyle really suits me and my needs to control symptoms. When I went to my last GYN appointment, I basically laid out to the doctor what I wanted to do and she didn't see anything wrong with it, so that's what we're doing.. I am doing paleo and refused Metformin because it causes way too many GI issues, refused birth control because my hormones are already screwed up due to PCOS (and if we get pregnant we would gladly welcome a baby), so I suggested a cyclical progesterone therapy which keeps me having a period each month (making the doctor happy) and keeps me from having to do the other treatments for PCOS (making me happy).. win-win!

But you have to get the official diagnosis first. Some doctors will do bloodwork only, some will do bloodwork and ultrasound of the ovaries, etc.. get thyself to a doctor so you can start working on the challenge!

Feel free to add me! Love having new friends!
  • minibee12
    minibee12 Posts: 55
    Options
    thanks so much!! I will definitely get to the doctor. I hope I get official answers.
  • lstpaul
    lstpaul Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I think it's taken me 2 years to slowly get down to being able to be lower carb (and I'm only trying for under 100g carbs a day right now ... not ready yet for much less).
    Don't try too much at once, pick one thing at a time to change - a bad habit or temptation .. it's easier to focus on just one thing and too easy to get overwhelmed and quit when changing a whole lot of things at once.
    For example, first I cut out the highest carb things like muffins, cookies, pasta and white bread, and quit drinking diet pop, then transitioned out of most processed foods and I did lose 30 pounds, but then hit a long plateau and slight gain - now recently I've given up more carby foods like white potatoes, rye bread, english muffins, crackers and rice and I'm losing again.
    Once you get through the first week - you lose that physical craving for them and it gets easier (although mental cravings like comfort food, habits, boredom eating are a whole other craving issue - but if the physical craving isn't there it is easier to get through mental cravings). I'm still eating too much fruit and starchier veggies to be really low carb, but I'm losing right now so it is working for me. I do make sure to eat enough healthy fats like nuts, avocados, butter, heavy whipping cream to stay satisfied... my skin likes it too! You can do it!
  • lckauffman
    lckauffman Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi MeMe

I am a lot older than you I am sure, but I do understand the frustration of trying to lose weight an not feeling like you are getting great

great results. I have diabetes, I am on insulin. I know for me , losing weight is very difficult because of the meds. I am on, but

its not impossible, what I am trying to say is be gentle with yourself, try working on maybe one habit that you need to lose to get

started losing. I am doing a low carb. program, an I also belong to a TOPS, a weight support group, something like Weight Watchers.

I have been going for 1 year an 3 months. I am very close to a 20 pound loss, its not been fast an not without its set backs but I

keep working at trying to get healthy an I am doing much better than any other time I tried. But I got to a point that my doctors called

me on the phone an gave me a option, either get moving an eating right or start making my funeral arrangements. That was the day I

realized I was in trouble with my health, an I have already experience one stroke , really don't want to do that ever again. an the

thing of it is , I was very, very lucky, with my stroke , I didn't lose my speech, or the use of my limbs for a long period, I did have

effects on the left side of my body, couldn't drink from a straw, I still have some remaining effedts from that stroke , but nothing I can't

live with. I hope you will do everything you can to try an get healthy. If I can lend you any support , I am here just message me.

I will do whatever it takes to support you an encourage you to keep trying an not give up. Losing weight, there is not a quick fix

it is a ongoing process. I am here for you.