future freshman questions

Hi, i know this is a diet board but i was hoping some of you wouldnt mind giving some advice to a future freshman. I am currently taking my senior year at a local college so i will have my communication and english classes all done so i wont have to take any english or speach classes next year. I plan on attending south dakota state university. I plan on majoring in animal science but i am really interested in biotechnology. Would a double major of these two harder sciences be too much? Also would 18 credits be too much with having to take a math and at least one science if not two per semester. Any other great advice for me? Thanks!

Replies

• PHLLLY
    PHLLLY Posts: 160 Member
    It really depends how motivated you are and if you can handle stress well. And if you're strong in sciences and math. Assuming you're going to be taking 18 units for all of your semesters, you plan on graduating in 4 years, including summer school? Planning on working/sports/clubs on campus? Have you looked into getting a minor for biotech?

I worked 20 hrs/week, did 12-15 units a semester, was part of multiple clubs on campus, played club ice hockey for SDSU (the other one :b), managed the team as Club President, and was the VP of the sport club program in charge of 18 teams. I graduated in 4.5 years. It was extremely difficult, but I finished with good grades, great education, and a lot of memorable experiences. Sleep was my biggest issues. And if it wasn't for hockey I don't think I would even consume my time with the gym. It's all about priorities.

The good news is you got a taste of the college life.

My advice is experience college to the fullest. Work hard, play hard. Don't miss out on opportunities you might never get to do when you're out of college. If you're motivated and have a hard work ethic, you can definitely do it!
  • parkekat
    parkekat Posts: 35
    I am fairly strong in sciences, not so much in math. I plan to work 15-20 hours a week as well as be apart of clubs. I broke down the amount of credit hours and what overlaps and if i take around 17 credits a semester no summer classes i can graduate in 4 years with a double major. but i dont want to ruin my chance to enjoy college life
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Personally I wouldn't recommend taking 18 units in your first semester, regardless of the type of classes. And especially if you're planning to work at the same time. It might affect your grades. Use that first semester to get familiar with the way college classes work and to try out clubs and other activities. It's possible that the classes you're taking now are easier than the ones offered at your university. If 12-16 units isn't too much that first semester, you can take on more the next term.

Try out classes in each major and see how you feel. I've been told that most people change their majors at least once, so there's no rush to decide now. You could also consider minoring in one if that's an option.
  • nunat919
    nunat919 Posts: 122 Member
    18 hours is a lot to handle especially it being your first semester. Please enjoy the experience because college is much more than academia. You will find yourself overwhelm. You will spend an average of 2-4 hours each week per credit for each class depending on the difficulty. So averaging in 3 hours per credit hour, that breaks down to 54 hours a week. A week has 168 hours. Assuming you get 7 hours of sleep give or take. That leaves you with 65 hours left in your week. This is not the absolute number. Can it be done yes, but it takes very careful management especially being your first semester.
    As far as your major goes. See if the 2 curriculum crosses. For example I am a chemical engineer major and if I really wanted to I only need to take 4 more classes to have a chemistry degree. This will be the best route for you. I hope this helps. Enjoy your time in college it's awesome!