April 6th Challenge

Options

Replies

• missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Challenge April 6th
    Missmegan831 *TEAM SCARIMONI*

This challenge can be interpreted in so many ways..so this is what came to my mind when I saw it:

I was in a very abusive marriage for 10 yrs..I was overweight 309 pounds, due to using food to comfort the pain that I went thru everyday of my life. I was put down by my exhusband mentally and abused emotionally, physically and sexually, I felt so trapped like I was such a disgusting person that 'this was the best I could have in life'... (fast forward) after my divorce I dropped an entire person 150+ pounds, from going to TOPS and walking, and feeling good about myself and being FREE of the nightmare I was once stuck in over the years I gained and lost and gained and gained due to other stresses and lack of love for myself... along the way, I have made several friends that have lived the same abuse that I once did..and it wasnt until about 2 yrs ago that I realized that 90% of the women that are in abusive relationships and stay is because they have lost sight of their self worth, their purpose and their spirits have been broken...so when I moved to Tennessee little over 2 1/2 years ago I got very active in the Domestic Violence homeless shelter here in the area where woman and their children can go to have a fresh start, a safe place and start rebuilding their lives, their strength and their courage to stand up for themselves. I visit their at least twice a week, talk with the girls about how they are, what goals they are setting for themselves and boy oh boy do I cook... I have walked in both DV 5K walks to raise money to maintain the home they all live in. I help with the fundraising and volunteer my time...if only there were resources back when I needed the help, I know I would have become stronger long ago... This coming week I am offering my services, I'm a massage therapist and sometimes just making someone feel good about themselves is motivation all in its own.LOOK GOOD, FEEL GOOD, DO GOOD... I have 2 friends there that are in dire need of losing weight to stay healthy for their young children and I have suggested MFP, along with some group activites that will get them out, and motivated and moving..its baby steps, as most survivors of abuse lack the 'spark' to make changes outta of fear of failure...but I dont care how long it takes..I know if I can help at least one woman change her life then that is an accomplishment I am truly blessed with...

Just want everyone to remember that its not always about the number on the scale, or the measurements on the tape...its how we feel inside and how we look at food, stress and our gift of life, we only get one life so lets make it remarkable... nothing will change unless we all stay focused, motivated and believe in yourself xx

30 Oblique crunches
  • krickan03
    krickan03 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have started a biggest loser competition. My cousin is getting married in June and his fiance and some of our other family members are wanting to lose some weight for the big day. I have set up a biggest loser competition where we all weigh in every week and report to me. Everyone paid $10 and after 8 weeks the biggest loser gets the pot! I send out messages of encouragement and check on our competitors at different points throughout the week. I set this up a couple of weeks ago but checked in with a couple of people today!
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Today, I drove to Pittsburgh and attended a meeting about a 20.7 mile hike for curing childhood cancer, and I registered for it. I did this because I lost my mom to cancer, as well as other loved ones, and hiking is my thing. I do 20 mile hikes already, it is my thing!
  • Tigger31179
    Tigger31179 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who recently lost her sister, just weeks before she had her first child. Her childs father left and is signing over his rights. Each day we work side by side. I encourage her to talk to me, lean on me for help. She does. We lift each other up when we are down. She is an amazing friend and I strive to be as good a friend to her, as she is to me.
  • Tymeshia
    Tymeshia Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Today at my son's swimming class I was talking to one of the guys that told about myfitnesspal a month or so ago and he started the program. He stated that he wanted to start learning how to jog but, he not stronge enough. I told him that I started C25K the first week of the year and now I can run more than 4 mile straight. I gave him the information to start the C25K program.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will count but I joined my fitness pal a little over a month ago and since then I have lost around 20 lbs. My friends, having seen this have started following my example. My.roommate, whom is roughly.the same size I am, has started eating healthier. My friend has seen what its done for our boss and myself and recently became active.on MFP. I have posted my daily.challenges in facebook and now w group of ly friends have started a monthly challenge group. Because of it. Everyone is so great in my life and not only have they been supportive but have become people that o can work out with and whom can push me to strive better just I have pushed them. I think today I am suppose to help my friend go shopping and pick out healthy foods and teach her some healthy meals....
  • MadameMiranda
    MadameMiranda Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My mom recently lost her husband and went of her diet understandably grief stricken. I try everyday a praise her hard work since coming back to keep her motivated. after all she's the person who helped me lose my first 20lbs if it wasn't for her I'd still be miserable with no direction. I love you mommy.
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Challenge April 6th

This challenge can be interpreted in so many ways..so this is what came to my mind when I saw it:

I was in a very abusive marriage for 10 yrs..I was overweight 309 pounds, due to using food to comfort the pain that I went thru everyday of my life. I was put down by my exhusband mentally and abused emotionally, physically and sexually, I felt so trapped like I was such a disgusting person that 'this was the best I could have in life'... (fast forward) after my divorce I dropped an entire person 150+ pounds, from going to TOPS and walking, and feeling good about myself and being FREE of the nightmare I was once stuck in over the years I gained and lost and gained and gained due to other stresses and lack of love for myself... along the way, I have made several friends that have lived the same abuse that I once did..and it wasnt until about 2 yrs ago that I realized that 90% of the women that are in abusive relationships and stay is because they have lost sight of their self worth, their purpose and their spirits have been broken...so when I moved to Tennessee little over 2 1/2 years ago I got very active in the Domestic Violence homeless shelter here in the area where woman and their children can go to have a fresh start, a safe place and start rebuilding their lives, their strength and their courage to stand up for themselves. I visit their at least twice a week, talk with the girls about how they are, what goals they are setting for themselves and boy oh boy do I cook... I have walked in both DV 5K walks to raise money to maintain the home they all live in. I help with the fundraising and volunteer my time...if only there were resources back when I needed the help, I know I would have become stronger long ago... This coming week I am offering my services, I'm a massage therapist and sometimes just making someone feel good about themselves is motivation all in its own.LOOK GOOD, FEEL GOOD, DO GOOD... I have 2 friends there that are in dire need of losing weight to stay healthy for their young children and I have suggested MFP, along with some group activites that will get them out, and motivated and moving..its baby steps, as most survivors of abuse lack the 'spark' to make changes outta of fear of failure...but I dont care how long it takes..I know if I can help at least one woman change her life then that is an accomplishment I am truly blessed with...

Just want everyone to remember that its not always about the number on the scale, or the measurements on the tape...its how we feel inside and how we look at food, stress and our gift of life, we only get one life so lets make it remarkable... nothing will change unless we all stay focused, motivated and believe in yourself xx

30 Oblique crunches

You are my hero!
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Today, I drove to Pittsburgh and attended a meeting about a 20.7 mile hike for curing childhood cancer, and I registered for it. I did this because I lost my mom to cancer, as well as other loved ones, and hiking is my thing. I do 20 mile hikes already, it is my thing!

And as a cancer survivor of this as well thank you Topher
  • Sunsama
    Sunsama Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Everyone's stories here are absolutely amazing, and you all are so inspiring! =)

I dont really do much, honestly lol. Every time I visit my sister I encourage her to walk to places with me instead of driving (as I hate driving, it terrifies me =P) She lives close enough to stores that its just a simple mile or two walk, and its great exercise for the both of us.

My mom has really bad back pains, and cannot do much because of it. She is also a manager at a retail store so is on her feet 8+ hours a day, so working out afterwards is not possible. So her and I are joining an aquatic center, and we are going to do aerobics together 3 times a week. She says the only time she is pain free is when she is in the water.

I encourage them as much as I can, but I feel selfish as well. As much as I encourage them, they encourage me as well. If they can do it, so can I right? I love them both dearly and look forward to all the time I can spend with them =)
  • Crystalagain22
    Crystalagain22 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Wow, everyone on here is so amazing, that my story of helping someone may very much pale. The person (the only person really) that I even have time to help it seems right now is my own son. He is 10 years old, has Aspergers, Adhd combined, Mood disorder NOS, anxiety and is on the verge of being diagnosed Bipolar. Needless to say he has periods of going from horrible rage to debilitating self worth :( I spend most of my days trying to deal with his ups and downs and make him realize how much he really is worth. I won't go into it further, but as because of his condition I don't get to go out much, this is what I do. Where he's my child, sorry if this isn't what you were going for :-/ I also try to motivate my friends here the way I have been motivated by others :)
    Thank you all for your stories, you're all amzing, kind people! :)

*50 Oblique crunches to come :)
  • Taraanne76
    Taraanne76 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    MissMegan your story made me cry and to inspire me in that if you could lose a person then dang it I can lose a large child!! You are amazing and I'm so grateful to have posted a thread in which you responded that led to our friendship. Love you girl!!

Here is my challenge w/ backstory. My neighbor is a 30 yo man w/ a 12 yo daughter who's mother abandoned her when she was 2 to live a life of drugs. Her dad kinda sucks as far as making her feel special, spending time w/ her, etc. He now has a new gf and they just had a baby and I know the girl feels even less important now. The girl, Amber, has a lot of annoying traits that I admit drove me bsc when she used to ring the doorbell every 30 minutes to come in and tell me the right way to do things. After time I realized this was her way of feeling important and was really her insecurities coming through. I also found out from the new gf that Amber partakes in some really disturbing behavior at home that to me indicates abuse/neglect. Ever since I have begun to like her more and make time to talk to her, asking her about her day and life in general. For today's challenge I wanted to reach out to her and take her to the park with my kids to play and enjoy the weather. She wasn't home but that doesn't mean I can't take a raincheck! I firmly believe God puts us and other's in our paths for a reason and maybe between the new gf and myself we can offset some of the pain this girl feels from being abandoned by her mom.
  • Taraanne76
    Taraanne76 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Wow, everyone on here is so amazing, that my story of helping someone may very much pale. The person (the only person really) that I even have time to help it seems right now is my own son. He is 10 years old, has Aspergers, Adhd combined, Mood disorder NOS, anxiety and is on the verge of being diagnosed Bipolar. Needless to say he has periods of going from horrible rage to debilitating self worth :( I spend most of my days trying to deal with his ups and downs and make him realize how much he really is worth. I won't go into it further, but as because of his condition I don't get to go out much, this is what I do. Where he's my child, sorry if this isn't what you were going for

Quite the contrary, you are amazing and your son is lucky to have such a great mom!
  • missmegan831
    Options
    MissMegan your story made me cry and to inspire me in that if you could lose a person then dang it I can lose a large child!! You are amazing and I'm so grateful to have posted a thread in which you responded that led to our friendship. Love you girl!!

Here is my challenge w/ backstory. My neighbor is a 30 yo man w/ a 12 yo daughter who's mother abandoned her when she was 2 to live a life of drugs. Her dad kinda sucks as far as making her feel special, spending time w/ her, etc. He now has a new gf and they just had a baby and I know the girl feels even less important now. The girl, Amber, has a lot of annoying traits that I admit drove me bsc when she used to ring the doorbell every 30 minutes to come in and tell me the right way to do things. After time I realized this was her way of feeling important and was really her insecurities coming through. I also found out from the new gf that Amber partakes in some really disturbing behavior at home that to me indicates abuse/neglect. Ever since I have begun to like her more and make time to talk to her, asking her about her day and life in general. For today's challenge I wanted to reach out to her and take her to the park with my kids to play and enjoy the weather. She wasn't home but that doesn't mean I can't take a raincheck! I firmly believe God puts us and other's in our paths for a reason and maybe between the new gf and myself we can offset some of the pain this girl feels from being abandoned by her mom.

I look forward every morning waking up to check on you and keep connected as this is a family.. we all have dedication to move forward and make changes and you are very inspiring to me :)
  • missmegan831
    Options
    Wow, everyone on here is so amazing, that my story of helping someone may very much pale. The person (the only person really) that I even have time to help it seems right now is my own son. He is 10 years old, has Aspergers, Adhd combined, Mood disorder NOS, anxiety and is on the verge of being diagnosed Bipolar. Needless to say he has periods of going from horrible rage to debilitating self worth :( I spend most of my days trying to deal with his ups and downs and make him realize how much he really is worth. I won't go into it further, but as because of his condition I don't get to go out much, this is what I do. Where he's my child, sorry if this isn't what you were going for :-/ I also try to motivate my friends here the way I have been motivated by others :)
    Thank you all for your stories, you're all amzing, kind people! :)

*50 Oblique crunches to come :)

Crystal.. I never been a big cry baby but you ruined my makeup with this...IN A GOOD WAY... you are a great support to me and so many others...dont ever forget that!!
  • andersonjo0306
    andersonjo0306 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I am not good at pointing out the things that I do to help others. My husband gives me hell for all the time and support I give to others in my life. Every day I try to say something nice or supportive to the people around me. That is the best you will get out of me. The people on MFP who are friends with me, know that I am always there for them as they are for me.

As to the other part of the challenge, after 7 hours (yes 7), I did do the oblique crunches. I am getting ready for the second shower I am throwing for my 20 year old daughter. An act of love and of support as well..

Happy weekend to all
  • missmegan831
    Options
    A very close friend of mine recently lost his 6 yr old nephew. He was very ill with cerebral palsy and was very close to him. I keep in touch every day trying to lift his spirits and also so that he knows he always has a chance to talk about him if he wishes.

You are a great friend.. a lot of people let time pass and make excuses like 'life got in the way' I find it extremely awesome that you always make an effort to let him know you are there for him xx
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Challenge April 6th

30 Oblique crunches

Amazing story Megan! You are so awesome! I am glad you are here, you are so supportive and wonderful.
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    *TEAM SCARIMONI*

Mine is not quite as wonderful as some others but I wanted to share anyway.

I decided to send a good friend a card and message to let her know how special she is to me. She is there for me thorough everything. She is like a therapist, sister and best friend all in one.

Many times we forget to tell people in our lives how special they are to us. Therefore I thought I would try to do that today.

Also 50 Oblique crunches are done!
  • lizai1
    lizai1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am a mum to one 10 year old and a foster carer who currently one child and I support another new foster carer. Today I visited the carer I am supporting and helped her apply for some training courses. We also worked out some stratagies she can use when the child she looks after has a tantrum or becomes violent......an incident occured while I was present and supported the carer and reassured her she was doing an amazing job.
    This is something I do on a regular basis, so will understand if you dont think this meet the criteria.
This discussion has been closed.