Fats and Protein

Options
JonathonMars
JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
I actually have about 20483 questions, but I will ask two.

I have had a really off period because I've been kind of down in the dumps and had some family medical issues going on, and I've decided that Monday I will get back on the horse with renewed gusto.

But I think I've realized two mistakes I'm making with my nutrition and diet.

I tend to use nonfat dairy a lot, rather than full fat or reduced fat. And I don't think I need to--I actually WANT to hit my fat macro, right?

And with protein, I had been taking a lot of whey, and eating a lot of meat and such to reach 175-180 grams of protein on average per day. But really, I probably only need to be around 145 or so, and that will help take care of a lot of other diet issues--like having more flexibility in my diet, and possibly having some more calories to play with.

Thoughts? Am I on the right track?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I actually have about 20483 questions, but I will ask two.

I have had a really off period because I've been kind of down in the dumps and had some family medical issues going on, and I've decided that Monday I will get back on the horse with renewed gusto.

But I think I've realized two mistakes I'm making with my nutrition and diet.

I tend to use nonfat dairy a lot, rather than full fat or reduced fat. And I don't think I need to--I actually WANT to hit my fat macro, right?

You do want to hit your fat macro assuming your fat macro is set up with some amount of sense.

This doesn't make nonfat dairy inherently bad. I prefer nonfat dairy and then eating more fat through food sources but that's preferential.
    And with protein, I had been taking a lot of whey, and eating a lot of meat and such to reach 175-180 grams of protein on average per day. But really, I probably only need to be around 145 or so, and that will help take care of a lot of other diet issues--like having more flexibility in my diet, and possibly having some more calories to play with.

Thoughts? Am I on the right track?

I think that dietary adherence should rank very high on your list of priorities. If reducing your protein makes it easier then you'll need to weigh that against whatever potential negative effect reducing protein may have on LBM retention, satiety, etc. And I'm not saying it WILL have a negative effect, because that depends on context.

Rather than me being a bit cryptic:

What are your current stats (weight/bodyfat% if you know it)?
    What is your TDEE and what is your current average intake of calories?
  • JonathonMars
    Options
    I am at 181, and I am not sure of my bodyfat, but it has to be pretty high.

My TDEE is 2629 according to one of the sites you all provided to estimate. And I have set my calorie goal at 1980 but often go above that--I would say I average 2100 calories.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I am at 181, and I am not sure of my bodyfat, but it has to be pretty high.

My TDEE is 2629 according to one of the sites you all provided to estimate. And I have set my calorie goal at 1980 but often go above that--I would say I average 2100 calories.

Then you are probably going to be fine dropping down to ~145p and if it makes it easier for you to remain in a calorie deficit then do it.
  • JonathonMars
    Options
    I figure it may just take a long while. I just thought trying to hit such a high protein goal might be increasing my calories a bit more than I would like...
This discussion has been closed.