2»

Replies

• BlessedWith3
    Options
    I am making these tonight.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I've just started using them to get back on track, and it has been a smashing success. I can't believe that I can eat something this good and I actually keep losing! I use kerrygold butter, natural peanut butter, coconut oil, cocoa and liquid splenda. Delicious!

The whole point of a fat bomb is to promote excellent health, and I use many different fat bomb recipes, some I have developed myself. I add nothing sweet to them when using flaked coconut, and for other ones I can make 24 servings with half a tablespoon of maple syrup or honey. A person could use stevia if that's what they prefer.

So my point is, why ruin something that is so healthy by adding Splenda? Other than that ingredient (and the peanut butter-other nut butters are at least from NUTS), that sounds awesome.

But nevermind me, I have a ketogenic primal lifestyle, so it's not just about low carb for me, but ideal health.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Oh, BUMP !
  • SnazzyPeg
    SnazzyPeg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • BlessedWith3
    Options
    I decided to make Siblita's recipe last night so I can incorporate them in today's plan. I haven't had one yet but I did sample a bit and it was very good. I think I added a few more drops of liquid Splenda than she did.
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! Thanks for sharing all the recipes.
  • gmansmom2
    gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I love me some peanut butter! I will be making these this weekend!!
  • siblita
    siblita Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've just started using them to get back on track, and it has been a smashing success. I can't believe that I can eat something this good and I actually keep losing! I use kerrygold butter, natural peanut butter, coconut oil, cocoa and liquid splenda. Delicious!

The whole point of a fat bomb is to promote excellent health, and I use many different fat bomb recipes, some I have developed myself. I add nothing sweet to them when using flaked coconut, and for other ones I can make 24 servings with half a tablespoon of maple syrup or honey. A person could use stevia if that's what they prefer.

So my point is, why ruin something that is so healthy by adding Splenda? Other than that ingredient (and the peanut butter-other nut butters are at least from NUTS), that sounds awesome.

But nevermind me, I have a ketogenic primal lifestyle, so it's not just about low carb for me, but ideal health.

I think it comes down to the fact that we all make our own choices... I try to avoid aspartame, but splenda is ok with me. I have read all the objections, but it comes down to having a WOE I can live with. Stevia tastes bitter to me, or else I would use it. I am definitely NOT doing a primal or paleo way of eating, although I agree with pastured animals, etc.

As a diabetic, I KNOW sugar will kill me, and splenda MIGHT kill me, but without some splenda here and there I'm back into the SAD which is no good on my blood glucose levels. It's not a matter of ignorance on the issues of artificial sweeteners, it's just a matter of choice.
  • twilasue54
    twilasue54 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Saw this post the other day and just had to try my own version so here it is....came out sooooo good... very similar to a reeses peanut butter cup...so I will defiently be making these again!
    http://i-will-carb-a-diem.blogspot.com/

do you have to use natural peanut butter or can you use Simply Jiff which has less suger?
  • siblita
    siblita Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Saw this post the other day and just had to try my own version so here it is....came out sooooo good... very similar to a reeses peanut butter cup...so I will defiently be making these again!
    http://i-will-carb-a-diem.blogspot.com/

do you have to use natural peanut butter or can you use Simply Jiff which has less suger?

I used Natural to keep the carbs down. I think it was 4g net carbs per serving on the jar. Some peanut butters can get quite carby.
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

I think it comes down to the fact that we all make our own choices... I try to avoid aspartame, but splenda is ok with me. I have read all the objections, but it comes down to having a WOE I can live with. Stevia tastes bitter to me, or else I would use it. I am definitely NOT doing a primal or paleo way of eating, although I agree with pastured animals, etc.

As a diabetic, I KNOW sugar will kill me, and splenda MIGHT kill me, but without some splenda here and there I'm back into the SAD which is no good on my blood glucose levels. It's not a matter of ignorance on the issues of artificial sweeteners, it's just a matter of choice.

I agree that it comes down to choice, but sometimes it also comes down to what your body will tolerate. I am finding my body will not tolerate carbs or sugar in most of it's forms, including honey. I constantly have people telling me to replace sugar consumption with honey because honey is so much healthier. Sure, I get the health benefits of honey and don't deny those, but my body doesn't care. To my body, it's sugar and it is processed exactly the same way as table sugar which results in high blood sugar readings and the resulting effects which until recently had me on the fast track to a stroke. (Yes, I have the labwork to prove it.) So while I agree it's about healthy living, a low carb/ketogenci diet which includes avoiding honey is part of my healthy living and I suspect I am not alone in this one.

At this point I am using almost no sweeteners. My last attempt at baking something with an artificial sweetener (Xylitol - a sugar alcohol) resulted in high blood sugars, so I am one of those lucky people who have to look at all sweeteners very critically and use trial and error to find one that works for me, if any. I do currently use Splenda in small doses and I haven't noticed any negative results. I haven't baked anything with it, so I can't say for sure if this is something that would work for me in this way, but for now, it's what I use to sweeten my bullet proof coffee and I'm OK with that choice.
  • Malcah1
    Malcah1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I eat fat bombs almost every day. It helps with healthy fats. I use a combination of almond / peanut butter, butter, coconut oil, dark chocolate, nuts and dried coconut or cranberries. They are very versatile! I make mine in ice trays and store in a baggie in the freezer.
  • Raybug0903
    Raybug0903 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bethierose
    bethierose Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Here's two recipes I've tweaked to make the fat bombs... Wanting to try a savory one next!

Almond Joy Fat Bombs (my personal nickname for them)

1/3 c coconut oil (I prefer a virgin CO for this, to get the flavor)
    1/4 c almond butter
    2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 tbsp granulated Stevia
    1 c unsweetened shredded coconut

Plop 1 tbsp into mini muffin tins (with liners for easy removal). Freeze for 1-2 hours. Can keep in the muffin tin if you have room, or put into a freezer-proof Tupperware container to save room. Makes 12.

Lemony Goodness Fat Bombs (also a nickname)

4 oz cream cheese (full fat of course!)
    8 tbsp coconut oil (can use either virgin or refined)
    2 tbsp sour cream
    juice from 2 lemons (about 4 tbsp) plus the zest from one lemon

Same directions as above, but made a lot more.. like 17. :)
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    It's a 'good fat' thing, see like http://lowcarbbetterhealth.blogspot.com/2012/07/fat-bombs.html
    Stick with avocados is my advice.:bigsmile:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Do you have to special order coconut oil and liquid splenda? I looked at my grocery store and didn't see any.

You'll typically find it in the "natural foods" section of your grocery store. Some stores will cross-inventory the coconut oil to the oils section, but it's generally the lower quality refined crap. Stick to the natural foods section and look for unrefined, extra-virgin coconut oil.

You can also get both at places like Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and other organic grocers. I personally found Trader Joe's to have the best price for organic, extra-virgin, unrefined coconut oil.

If you really love them, you can buy them in bulk online. You can actually get coconut oil by the bucket from some specialty places, but you have to use it a lot in order to go through it before it goes bad.