C25K Start today!

Options
msjacxxx
msjacxxx Posts: 5 Member
Tonight I will be doing my first c25k run. I know its not going to be easy but I am determined.

Replies

• weightwatcher_girl
    weightwatcher_girl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I did day 1 of week 2 yesterday, and I'm really surprised at how far I've come already. It is tough but keep at it, the reward is worth the temporary pain :)
  • msjacxxx
    msjacxxx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank You x
  • rhcp47
    rhcp47 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congrats, I'm also starting today! Good luck to you :)
  • CJMommyof2
    CJMommyof2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just started last week and have done W1D1 three times. I am afraid to move on because of how exhausting day 1 is.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    cnsfam4 - one thing that some people experience is that the C25k program never becomes easy - it remains at the same level of hard all the way through. If you have been able to complete all the walks and runs, then you are probably ready for day two.

Also, people just starting out tend to have a couple of challenges:

First, we try to run too fast. Slow down. Try running as slowly as you walk. You need to develop those running muscles before being able to pick up speed - it's a totally new movement.

Secondly, we have trouble with breath control. Try breathing with your belly, so that your stomach moves in and out. Be sure to exhale completely so that you don't hyperventilate.
  • GC2B
    GC2B Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    All the very best for the best steps of your life :)
    Some runs are hard, but its the challenge that makes us stronger.
    Looking forward to reading your update after your run.
  • angelaryherdbrown
    Options
    I had my first run last night. Holy wow, I thought I was going to die. Looking forward to a day off and back at it tomorrow.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Great job, Angel! Starting is the BIGGEST milestone.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I started this past Saturday, April 6, and did Week 1 Day 2 last night. In the rain. I loved it! Think I'm gonna do some yoga tonight to help stretch out.

Feel free to add me! We can keep each other motivated and on track!
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    As the most recent C25K graduate here (I think) here are some tips:

1. Start slow and stay slow. Don't worry about how far you run, just working on running during the runs.
    2. Remember that your head will give out long before your legs do. Just keep running.
    3. Get the best shoes you can (preferably with professional fitting). My runs improved a lot when I got a pair of Brooks.
    4. Don't skip rest days. And don't run longer than "required". Walk longer if you want more cardio.
    5. Don't stop unless you absolutely have to---and then don't beat yourself up.
  • GC2B
    GC2B Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Well done for getting out there!
    I agree that the head gives in before the legs. You fight a mental battle out there, but if you use the time to clear your mind, go through your day or the day ahead that often helps.
    Dont be afraid to try the next week if you have competed a week, the only failure is giving in completely.
    Start slow and end slower was some of the best advice I was given.
  • DarrenWasHere
    DarrenWasHere Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Keep us posted.

I re-started back on W01, after getting up to W06 then fizzling out. Don't know how many times I hit the W06 wall, so hoping the posts of others getting going will be inspiring. So far, it has, keep running!
  • stitchtastic
    Options
    Hi.I just did W4 D2 today.I'm loving it,and really motivated!If anyone would like to add me on here,please do.I'd love to have more C25K friends :happy:
    I'm running the race for life in June,so i fully intend to do just that...and RUN it!