metformin

Options
Not sure I spelled it right, just started taking this morning and all I've been doing is running to bathroom since, suppose to take 2 times a day, not taking the next dose.......does anyone else on here take it and did they have this reaction, if so how long did it last or how many days, think maybe I shouldn't take it.

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    It can take a couple of weeks for your body to adjust to the medication.
  • cindysess
    cindysess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    it gave me the runs for a couple of days, I dont have any problems with it now.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I had the same reaction....I couldn't even leave the house for fear I wouldn't be near a bathrooom..... so I cut back on the amount until my body got used to it, then I went back to my full dosage. Doesn't bother me at all now. Check with your Dr....he/she may let you do that.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    My wife is a pharmacist. She had me start with 1/2 a pill a day for a few days, before moving up to a full pill a day... slowly ramping up. Because yes, almost everyone has this reaction at the start.
  • Aussielooser
    Aussielooser Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I started on 1 for a week and then the doctor told me to take it up to 2 and I was fine with it with no problems at all.. I am back down to 1 now and have another blood test on Monday morning and all going well I will be taken of them. Until my Type 2 progresses if that happens...

Good luck!
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yep. IT takes a bit of getting used to - a couple of weeks. But it works so well once you've settled in... Hang in there.
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Oh my yes. It can take a WHILE for your body to adjust. My doctor ramped me up WAY too quickly - two a day to start, and after a week when my numbers weren't much lower, three a day!. The pharmacist at the diabetes class I attended said it should be "start low, go slow". The doctor wanted my blood glucose to come down NOW!!! She even wanted me to have my stool tested for stuff like as if it was the water that was causing me problems. If I had to do it all over again, I would tell her look, it's not gonna kill me to cut all this in half and start slowly again. Immodium is your friend! Seriously. And follow the package directions exactly. I still get problems occasionally, but usually it's triggered by eating way too many carbs. (I carry Immodium with me all the time, but usually my problems start in the evening so I am at home.) My greatest desire is that if I can lose the weight, maybe I will be able to get off this stuff! I do NOT want to have to do the insulin thing.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    It took me a few weeks to adjust - it really helped taking it before the meal or a few bites in. I had more problems if I took it after. Now I can take it after a meal or with a snack if I forget once in awhile without issues.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    in addition to ramping up the dosage slowly, it can also help to switch to the extended release (XR) version
  • crazysquaw51
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, appreciated the help, called my doc and she said same thing you all did, so will start it on this coming Saturday when hubby is home to take care of our baby kittie(our cat,13 years old and we take her out on a leash)

so my question now is this, she has me taking it 2 times a day, for people who take it this many times, around what time or what meals do you take it with.

Again Thanks All
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have to have a good sized meal or it upsets my stomach, so I try to have a good breakfast. If I don't, I'll wait till lunch. Then I take one before bed.
  • Cliff0807
    Cliff0807 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started on this about a month ago and I guess I was lucky because I did not have any adverse reactions. I drink a big glass of water and then take the medication, one before breakfast and one before dinner.
  • laperegrina18
    laperegrina18 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had a very bad reaction to Metformin - ended up in hospital I'm on Gliclazide now which I find suits me far better. I had practically every side effect from Metformin and that is why they stopped me taking it.

I hope things settle down for you shortly :smile:
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    When I first started it, it did.... phase it in... one a day for a week then add the second one next week. Also, avoid high fat/high carb foods as I found that greasy foods made it a lot worse.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    so my question now is this, she has me taking it 2 times a day, for people who take it this many times, around what time or what meals do you take it with.

You're supposed to try to space it out, so I take it with breakfast, and then dinner.
    And yes, ALWAYS with a meal. Without a meal is... uncomfortable.
  • tracygolden
    tracygolden Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor about EXTENDED RELEASE. I couldn't take the regular metformin but have no problems with the extended release. Cost the same, works great, worth the change!
  • katiekeene86
    katiekeene86 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was lucky in that I didn't have any side effects when I started on Metformin. But I was told by a couple of people and my doctor that it's normal and should only last 3-5 days.
  • crazysquaw51
    Options
    I can't handle running to bathroom every couple minutes, it totally drained me, did it for 3 days and that is enough. my doctor said same thing 3 to 7 days, well 3 days is enough, I have had irritable bowel for years and that's bad enough and I think having that and this medicine will make me be like this for more days then good. called doc again yesterday and left message that I'm not taking this, waiting to hear from her.
  • missfrau
    missfrau Posts: 4
    Options
    I take my metformin i the morning with breakfast and then before bed with a snack. Also I did have the stomach adventures when I first started but it evened out.

Remember too that you can't take Pepto Bismol as a diabetic, but Kaopectate and Immodium are OK.
  • clarafitnesspal
    clarafitnesspal Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My doc prescribed 2 times a day but told me to take it only once a day for the first week so by body could get used to it. My advise is call your doc let him or her know what is going on and ask them what to do.