The Thyroid Diet

Options
I wanted to see what other thought/think about the Thyroid Diet. Has it affected you in any way? Has it helped or made things worse? I know everyones situation is different, but I just wanted some feed back.

I have been diagnosed for almost a year now, and due to recent ortho surgeries I am just now able to start trying to be more active. I want to start to incorpriate better meals in to my diet. Since I have been diganosed I kind of had that thought in my head "when I was a teenager I could eat what I wanted and not gain weight", but I look back and had none of the problems I am currently having. I would really like to change things around, and start being a better me. I am 25 right now, and I don't want something like my thyroid in my way of having a great life. (sorry for ranting) Anyways please I would like to know what you think about this Thyroid Diet book.

Thanks! :bigsmile:

Replies

• kalynnichole7
    Options
    I was diagnosed in October. I am not sure what this diet is you are talking about but would love to try it.
  • Saucytee
    Saucytee Posts: 31
    Options
    I recently found this and am also interested in talking to someone who has followed this plan. I have had hypothyroidism for 35 years!
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hi; I was diagnosed 3 years ago; I am 42. My low blood pressure had the doctor concerned; it was THAT low. I would love to know what the thyroid diet is and if it works. Getting really weary of making tons of sacrifices, counting all my calories, working out consistently to lose .4 pound in 2 months span:/
  • lilybliss777
    Options
    please someone inform me of the thyroid diet, i've had hypothyroidism for over 6yrs diagnosed in middle school. It's a struggle everyday and even with meds it effects my everyday. what are some things that have helped you all make it "bearable"
  • autumnsquirrel
    Options
    please someone inform me of the thyroid diet, i've had hypothyroidism for over 6yrs diagnosed in middle school. It's a struggle everyday and even with meds it effects my everyday. what are some things that have helped you all make it "bearable"
    There is a book called "The Thyroid Diet" by Mary J. Shomon. It's very helpful; got good good reviews on Amazon, too. When was your last bloodwork? Sounds like your medication could be adjusted. Are you exercising? That's a part of it--it will help you feel better. I cut bad carbs out--no pasta, no white bread/flour products or white rice. It is doable. You won't miss that stuff. The key is making proper replacements, healthier choices. Exercise makes it bearable. I joined a gym and enjoy the cardio classes. I also do a little weight training. In your case, get an exercise DVD----I recommend anything from Gilad--his Quick Fit System, for instance. Make sure you are eating a healthy breakfast, too. Oatmeal is a great energy booster, apple slices or banana with that, glass of Organic or almond milk, too. Make sure you are doing things to take care of yourself; it will all even itself out.
  • lilybliss777
    Options
    thank u so much for the advice, i excercise as much as i can and i'm a very healthy eater. i will definitely try these out and see how that works. My levels have been changing more offten since pregnancy it has jumped to more than 10mg.
  • autumnsquirrel
    Options
    thank u so much for the advice, i excercise as much as i can and i'm a very healthy eater. i will definitely try these out and see how that works. My levels have been changing more offten since pregnancy it has jumped to more than 10mg.
    Yes! Make sure you get your blood work updated so you can see first hand where you would need to adjust. If it's cholesterol that needs lowering, you can have good carbs like oatmeal or Ezekiel bread. That stuff lowers it if you are consistent with it----not the instant stuff, either in the packets!!!:) Quaker Old Fashioned oats. If it's lipids, try going green--lots of leans and greens, nothing deep fried---it's not good for us anyway. I have found that it's easier to work on the inside than the aesthetics!!!:) Take care of you!!!
  • angelamendieta
    Options
    I love that book. I have 2 copies, both are highlighted and have post it's all over it. I think everyone with a thyroid issue should read that book, it is a good basic springboard for what we need to know and it points you in the right direction in terms of what you should be researching and watching out for. The main thing I took from the book that I swear by is the multivitamin without iron, dr. Levines weight loss formula fiber shake and about 6 other supplements that she suggests and I agreed after doing my own research. Also the exercising....yes yes! It helps with the low energy but ALSO helps with the depression. I have a personal trainer right now BUT when I travel I swear by Power 90 (the easier version of P90X) the videos are 30 min you need almost no equipment (I carry stretch bands with me when I travel to use instead of weights) and it kicks my butt every single time! My trainer agrees with me that when I go back to work and can't see a trainer daily then those videos need to be my daily routine.