Front squat and press - wtf?

Options

Replies

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Like someone already said, the bar should be resting on your shoulders when you do front squat. The fingers are there so that you can grab the bar when you are ready to push press it. Keep your elbows up the whole time for the squat and when you are almost at top , roll the bar in your hands and push press it. Keep trying , you will get it. It's a great power move! Don't split it.
  • nursekern
    nursekern Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this thread!! I thought it was just me that was awkward as hell with this movement! Looking forward to trying again Wednesday after reading all these tips:)

Im also glad someone clarified the purpose of this being a whole body move, I was back squatting 185, only able to FSPP 65 so far! I seriously love this forum:)
  • sarah2002
    sarah2002 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Like someone already said, the bar should be resting on your shoulders when you do front squat. The fingers are there so that you can grab the bar when you are ready to push press it. Keep your elbows up the whole time for the squat and when you are almost at top , roll the bar in your hands and push press it. Keep trying , you will get it. It's a great power move! Don't split it.

How do you rest the bar on your shoulders without choking or decapitating yourself?? I'm thinking that maybe my arms are proportioned differently than the model in the book, because if I put my elbows up and hands back like she does, my hands are behind my shoulders.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options

How do you rest the bar on your shoulders without choking or decapitating yourself?? I'm thinking that maybe my arms are proportioned differently than the model in the book, because if I put my elbows up and hands back like she does, my hands are behind my shoulders.

Not on your shoulders. It's on your pec muscles just above your breasts and below your collar bone. Hope that helps!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I am pretty skinny and holding the olympic bar (20kg) at any point on my chest = discomfort. It's sitting on bone wherever I put it! I've stopped thinking about its exact location and just ploughing through it. I finally got my 20 reps today. When I stopped thinking about the bar's position, I was more able to focus on the press, which I found much easier when focusing on breath and powering with my legs.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I never could get the bar positioned correctly without it stressing one body part or another (wrists, delts, clavicles). I agree with other posters about it being a power move that gets the body working together as a unit. It improves balance and coordination, along with overall power and strength.

This is how I ended up doing them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVBgKB4Gnsw&list=PL4CE51ED9E54AA7C3&index=19

Notice how she's using her upward momentum to rise up onto her toes as if she's trying to throw the weight up through the ceiling. Just as it's quoted in our book, bullet point #4 under the "Lift" section.

Also noted in the book on pg. 179, this exercise is meant to be done with fast, explosive action. The goal is muscle power. Power is the ability to move something as fast as possible. The above video is a perfect example of this.

I also like the idea of using a weighted Swiss ball to make sure you're squatting deep enough.

Side note: notice how SHE'S doing pull-ups while the man is doing chin-ups. Pull-ups are much more difficult. She's one strong cookie.
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    That video is awesome! Great technique. I'll watch again when I get to this stage as that is really useful - thanks for posting.
  • nursekern
    nursekern Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I had success with these today, after watching some videos on how it's supposed to be done, I realize it is a total power move (and thanks to the thread here!). I was trying to start with 65, which was WAY too heavy for me. I used just the bar, and felt it where I should have, and felt like the move was correct! The next set I only went up to 50, and it seemed right too.

Thankful for this forum :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    OMG thank you for that video. That totally helped me out!
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Yes the video is good. Seems to differ in elbow position though. I've been hung up on the elbow height in the book.... the position in this video would suit me a lot better
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I never could get the bar positioned correctly without it stressing one body part or another (wrists, delts, clavicles). I agree with other posters about it being a power move that gets the body working together as a unit. It improves balance and coordination, along with overall power and strength.

This is how I ended up doing them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVBgKB4Gnsw&list=PL4CE51ED9E54AA7C3&index=19

Notice how she's using her upward momentum to rise up onto her toes as if she's trying to throw the weight up through the ceiling. Just as it's quoted in our book, bullet point #4 under the "Lift" section.

Also noted in the book on pg. 179, this exercise is meant to be done with fast, explosive action. The goal is muscle power. Power is the ability to move something as fast as possible. The above video is a perfect example of this.

I also like the idea of using a weighted Swiss ball to make sure you're squatting deep enough.

Side note: notice how SHE'S doing pull-ups while the man is doing chin-ups. Pull-ups are much more difficult. She's one strong cookie.

OMG, now THAT is why I want to eventually start crossfit...she is AMAZING!!

jomarnes - agree, she totally has her elbows down instead of foward. cant wait to do these again next week in stage 4!!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Yes the video is good. Seems to differ in elbow position though. I've been hung up on the elbow height in the book.... the position in this video would suit me a lot better

I still swung my elbows up, just not as high and with out bending my hands back the way they show you to in the book.
  • Daresie
    Daresie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump to study later....
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options

I believe this is also my problem. I feel like my forearms are too LONG to keep my elbows at that 90 degree angle. When I'm just bending my elbows at the 90 angle, without any weight, my fingertips are past my shoulders. I know I don't have short arms but this makes me feel a little crazy! In order for my fingertips to rest at about my clavicle (so that the bar would be on my biceps/chest) my elbows are a bit bowed out and my hands and wrists feel completely scrunched up. It makes me wish I could chop off about five inches from my forearm.

I just want to make sure that this is the same awkwardness that everyone else is feeling before I suck it up and keep trying it. I just don’t want to end up hurting myself if this position is something I should modify.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    So THAT is crossfit. The local gym is setting up an area for crossfit right now. I might actually join now. Hmmmm...
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Bumping to answer a similar question that was posed. :smile:
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Bumping to save for later. :)
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Ok, so I'm now on stage 4 and back to the FSPP. So today, with the video linked here in mind, I went to the gym and attempted this move without looking at the books description. And you know what? Best yet! Although, it is certainly different to what is described. I'm wondering whether it matters? Basically, I was able to repeat the move much faster than previously as I was less focused on how to hold the bar. The result was that during the squat, I did not rest the bar on my body, but rather in my hands, about an inch away from my body, at shoulder height. Do you think this is still right? It sure felt better than before. I could also bang out the 3 x 8 reps with the 20kg olympic bar, an improvement in weight since before.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    jo - I do something similar. the bar is touching my chest, but not resting on my chest. The problem is that if we use our arms to hold up the weight, we will be limited in how much we can front squat. Not really worryed about that at the moment, though...I am maxed out on the overhead lift. congrats on your progress!!