OFFICIAL THREAD: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Discussion

Options

Replies

• nostripewhite
    nostripewhite Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Trying to get back into BJJ now, thinking it will help motivate me on keeping my eating clean.

Been training on the side with some old training partners, and what I've lost, is coming back slooooowly.

Hopefully being a little older and wiser will let me approach training smarter his time around. :)
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    how does BJJ compare to Judo ?
  • rstoliker
    rstoliker Posts: 65
    Options
    One leads to the other, at least as I've learned. Without starting an "style vs style" or "history" arguement...as easy to explain...Judo begins on your feet....Jiu jitsu is what happens when you get to the ground. Now granted...this creates LOTS of opinions...however...that's pretty basic. Judo has a ground game as well...and BJJ has a very limited stand up...but they really compliment each other as a whole. Did you have any specific questions about the comparison between them?
  • thecraigferguson
    thecraigferguson Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    NAGA ATLANTA:
    TERRIFIC WEEKEND! I've done plenty of Judo tourneys and a few small local BJJ tourneys, but this NAGA was my first big show.They bumped me down from Masters 30+ to Adults 18+ with all the beasts, because there arent any old timers in the Flyweight class... but its all good:

NoGi, 6mo.-2yrs. experience, Adult <129.9 = Bronze!
    Gi White Adult<129.9 = GOOOOOLLLLDDD!!!

Highlights: I started all of my gi matches up 5-0 on points because i attacked with a judo throw straight into knee-on-belly. In the gold medal finals, I tapped my opponent with the resurging-in-popularity Baseball Choke.

GREAT WORK!

Can I ask, what throw? I am newish to Judo and would like to attack more throws in BJJ. but I haven't put much thought into it yet...
  • LGinSoCal
    LGinSoCal Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Judo is throwing and tripping with some pins. BJJ involves pain response (chokes, joint locks, and slicers). If you pick up one of these disciplines you will probably end up studying the other as well.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options

Judo is throwing and tripping with some pins. BJJ involves pain response (chokes, joint locks, and slicers). If you pick up one of these disciplines you will probably end up studying the other as well.

It is important to note that BJJ comes from Judo and many of the techniques have been developed from there.

In Judo as with Jujutsu opponents are happy to stand and trade focusing on locks and take downs but being on the floor is the last resort where as in BJJ they fight predominantly on the floor. Application of locks and chockes while standing are usually harder because your opponent had more room to move.

A short history of the sport (really bluntly put)
    Judo/Jujutsu was taught to the Japanese police after they were stripped of swords and the Samurai families were still prevalent. An adaptation of traditional techniques to be used in hand to hand combat.

Judo made its way across the ocean where it was taught to the Gracie brothers who adapted the techniques into BJJ

Today we see many BJJ practitioners and cage fighters adapting the same techniques and finding new ways to use them. This reflects many of the things you are taught in BJJ schools today.
  • rstoliker
    Options

It is important to note that BJJ comes from Judo and many of the techniques have been developed from there.

In Judo as with Jujutsu opponents are happy to stand and trade focusing on locks and take downs but being on the floor is the last resort where as in BJJ they fight predominantly on the floor. Application of locks and chockes while standing are usually harder because your opponent had more room to move.

A short history of the sport (really bluntly put)
    Judo/Jujutsu was taught to the Japanese police after they were stripped of swords and the Samurai families were still prevalent. An adaptation of traditional techniques to be used in hand to hand combat.

Judo made its way across the ocean where it was taught to the Gracie brothers who adapted the techniques into BJJ

Today we see many BJJ practitioners and cage fighters adapting the same techniques and finding new ways to use them. This reflects many of the things you are taught in BJJ schools today.

^ that one
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    thanks all for the info !
  • rstoliker
    Options
    We just had our Professer Jucao clinic, about 150 minutes worth of Spider Guard passes and defenses...the man is a GENIUS! if anyone EVER has the opportunity to learn from this man...I HIGHLY recommend it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNwKHORIqEA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVpIEQNT0ug
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Started with wrestling, and I love being able to use those throws, and takedowns to surprise some of the straight BJJ guys, but when you get to the purple, brown, and black belts they pretty much know all of those takedowns as well, and then it becomes like a game of chess!
  • tylergray2
    tylergray2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use this in addition to training Jiu-Jitsu
  • michaelocampo
    michaelocampo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    NAGA ATLANTA:
    TERRIFIC WEEKEND! I've done plenty of Judo tourneys and a few small local BJJ tourneys, but this NAGA was my first big show.They bumped me down from Masters 30+ to Adults 18+ with all the beasts, because there arent any old timers in the Flyweight class... but its all good:

Highlights: I started all of my gi matches up 5-0 on points because i attacked with a judo throw straight into knee-on-belly. In the gold medal finals, I tapped my opponent with the resurging-in-popularity Baseball Choke.

GREAT WORK!

Can I ask, what throw? I am newish to Judo and would like to attack more throws in BJJ. but I haven't put much thought into it yet...

Sorry! I just saw this post. I used Sode Tsuri Komi Goshi, with success. I used sleeve grips so they couldnt take my back during scrambles. mostly, i use foot sweeps and ankle picks because most players in my class are guard pullers... and it plays into their style anyways. whether my techniques are cleanly executed or not, i usually get points because i appear to have initiated the action to the mat.
  • rstoliker
    Options
    NAGA ATLANTA:

GREAT WORK!

Sorry! I just saw this post. I used Sode Tsuri Komi Goshi, with success. I used sleeve grips so they couldnt take my back during scrambles. mostly, i use foot sweeps and ankle picks because most players in my class are guard pullers... and it plays into their style anyways. whether my techniques are cleanly executed or not, i usually get points because i appear to have initiated the action to the mat.

and I would assume, even if it's not clean, depending on the scoring system, you'd at LEAST get the Advantage point, correct?
  • michaelocampo
    Options
    and I would assume, even if it's not clean, depending on the scoring system, you'd at LEAST get the Advantage point, correct?

i'm not sure... ive always gotten the points when i initiated the action to the ground and most of those times. so if the opponent is attempting to pull guard, i get: takedown +2 guard pass +1 and side control +2... or whatever, depending on point system.

i may have gotten Advantages, but I have either won or lost flat-out so they never came into play
  • CallMePat
    CallMePat Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,
    I'm still fairly new to Jiu Jitsu.
    I'm really starting to feel comfortable rolling and keeping base.
    However, as with all newer practitioners, I am feeling a little inept on the attacking front after getting tapped time after time.
    Really I'm just asking y'all what would be a good technique (or set-up) to work on to catch a senior student by surprise.
    If you think it matters, I've been training for about 5 months and am 6'3" and 240.
    Thanks!
  • michaelocampo
    Options
    Hey Guys,
    I'm still fairly new to Jiu Jitsu.
    I'm really starting to feel comfortable rolling and keeping base.
    However, as with all newer practitioners, I am feeling a little inept on the attacking front after getting tapped time after time.
    Really I'm just asking y'all what would be a good technique (or set-up) to work on to catch a senior student by surprise.
    If you think it matters, I've been training for about 5 months and am 6'3" and 240.
    Thanks!

do you find yourself normally on top or in bottom?
  • damorzacon
    damorzacon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I just started bjj in February as a way to continue my weight loss and to get healthier all around. I loved it the first night I trained.

The scale says I've lost about 10 pounds but my clothes fit like I've lost twice that. I can definitely see a good bit of muscle has been added and my cardio has improved so much.

In the last few weeks things have really started to come together and I'm not getting tapped all the time and I'm getting other guys to submit.

There's a tournament in June that I'd like to compete in so hopefully my coach thinks I'm ready by then. Definitely working my butt off to get there!
  • damorzacon
    Options
    Started with wrestling, and I love being able to use those throws, and takedowns to surprise some of the straight BJJ guys, but when you get to the purple, brown, and black belts they pretty much know all of those takedowns as well, and then it becomes like a game of chess!

I came into bjj as a wrestler too. It definitely helps.

Did you have issues with getting comfortable being on your back?
  • markS159
    markS159 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Comfort on your back comes with time. dedicate your time on you back drilling escapes from mount and side control. If you can feel comfortable there then the rest of your game will come.
  • damorzacon
    Options
    Comfort on your back comes with time. dedicate your time on you back drilling escapes from mount and side control. If you can feel comfortable there then the rest of your game will come.

We drill escapes nearly every session so I'm much more comfortable now. It was just weird coming from wrestling where you didn't want to be on your back at all.