Hunger

Options
Question, does anyone else have the problem of feeling hungry all the time? I'm not sure what I should be eating to avoid this feeling. I haven't caved yet and splurged on food but i'm ready to. Does anyone have any good, healthy recipes to share? Any help would be appreciated. :smile:

Replies

• carolachristensen
    Options
    Danielle--

When I get hungry I try to eat something that isn't too high in calories like carrots, celery or lettuce.
  • qtjones
    qtjones Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I also have that problem as well. I try to eat some fruit. Also while at work and I get that hungry feeling I will drink some more water or I chew sum gum to give my that feeling that I am eating something. This is a hard feeling to get over as I battle with it over and over again.
  • midwesternwind
    midwesternwind Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am glad you asked that question because I have the same problem. I am not hungry I just want food for some reason. Maybe it just taste good to me. My craving for food starts when I am bored I noticed. I am trying to drink water when I get that craving. I need to drink more water anyways. I have found Schwans has a fudge bar that is only 50 calories so that helps in the after noon when it's hot and I want something sweet and cold, or pieces of fruit.
  • lncgurley
    lncgurley Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I find I go in phases on this, I will not be hungry in between meals for a few weeks then feel like I'm starving...so, for me protein really helps . So, an egg, or a milk based snack shake, turkey jerky. Peanut butter and banana, or peanut butter on a few crackers. I also like yogurt mixed with whole grain cheerios or fiber one. Also just started doinga mini workout (a ten mis pilates or 10 mis trainer wo) in the afternoon when I can, in addition to my normal wo at the suggestion of my dr to manage stress and energy, and find that helps with the hunger too, which really doesn't make sense to me ;) For the mild hunger, I love the Extra watermelon gum and lots of water.
  • daniellevlach
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have some protein powder I was thinking about adding to my milk in the morning. Hopefully that will help. I don't like to eat a lot through the day but I've been pushing myself to drink more water and eat more fruits and veggies. The biggest problem I have is at night. I get hungry close to bedtime. If I eat too much fruit I am too hydrated before bed and end up getting up several times. Does anyone's workout time affect their appetites? If you work out in the morning are you hungry all day?
  • embanks305
    Options
    I drink green smoothies in the morning and sometimes in the afternoon. They fill me up! The ingredients I use are apple juice, frozen pineapples, apples, frozen spinachand strawberries with a packet of Splenda Ana's a scoop of ground flaxseed.
  • SandiW02
    SandiW02 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I had this problem. I started spreading my meals out and making sure to snack inbetween. For example, cereal for breakfast with fruit, snack is a protein shake, lunch, snack, dinner, and yes I even have a night time snack. Typically it is another protein shake to balance my nighttime Zumba class with a banana mixed in. Drink a lot of water. You may even consider making your own trail mix to munch on. One serving of several differnt treats (nuts, raisins, or whatever you like) portioned out is low in calories and gives that 'eating alot' feeling especially when you eat a piece at a time. I made my own for the first time and each portion is less than 200 calories. If you friend me you can see the recipe I used.
  • daniellevlach
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Laurel0724
    Laurel0724 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking a lot more water....I can't believe how many times I think I'm hungry when I'm actually thirsty.

Something else that has helped me recently is writing. (I've been told that it isn't really about the food, but about the feelings I'm covering up and don't want to feel.) When I concentrate and ask myself, "What is this REALLY about?", I usually can figure it out. Free association writing helps. I usually find that by the time I'm finished writing, my cravings are gone. It also helps to read it to someone who I trust (NOT a husband and probably not a family member). I've been told that writing is like putting it in the blender and reading it to someone is "turning on the switch."
  • lncgurley
    lncgurley Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Laurel, do you think just reading out loud would be the same effect? I think the writing would really help me, I have been doing alot of emotional eating lately.