Can someone remind me why I'm doing this...

Options
So... literally 75% of the women at my work are on VERY low calorie diets and dropping weight like mad. It makes me crazy because I am NOT losing ANYTHING and I have been doing this for almost 3 months. In fact... I feel like I'm puffier. I have been stuck at this weight for almost 2 years now. I am a solid pants size bigger than I used to be and have lost my definition. I LOVED the way I looked. I was smaller, tighter and confident. I have no clue how I gained weight but I cannot seem to drop back down to where I want to be.
I have been doing the P90x workouts since November...nothing.
I guess I just need to vent because I am so TIRED of watching everyone lose weight and looking in the mirror and being totally disappointed with what I see. Especially because I workout so much harder than they all do. :cry:
I know that I am at a healthy weight... I get that. I just want to get back to where I was.
I just switched to Jamie Eason's Live Fit trainer. However... I am so discouraged that I honestly feel like I'm just going to get chubbier and chubbier.

The only reason that I am venting like a baby is because NO ONE else cares or understands. My husband just gets irritated and I need someone to talk some sense into me! PLEASE! I know what is true.. I just need a reminder.

Replies

• CariS001
    CariS001 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    WOW! I could have written your post! I too get frustrated when I see everyone else dropping weight like crazy, and I'm at a standstill despite my efforts! And my hubbie is sick of hearing it too ;)

I wish I had advice. All we can do is stick to what we know. We know we are making the right choice. But I agree... some days it just plain sucks!
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    i understand. my advice (after *not losing* anything for over 2 years on MFP) is lower the amount of intense workouts (i'm mainly talking cardio here), eat clean, but... closer to your BMR and coming in over 1200 cals, getting a decent amount of protein (no need for overkill), take enough rest days (important!), and keep your strength routine (which doesn't have to be lifting heavy weights - vinyasa yoga, pilates, calisthenics are also great).

it wasn't until i did essentially all of the above, that i finally lost. it was like my body was saying 'thank you' for just letting it Be. taking nice walks, doing yoga, eating healthily, NOT overtraining, and not over-stressing macros, exercise, etc...

good luck with your journey!
  • faeriewings1
    faeriewings1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Would it help to remember that all those people dropping weight on low calorie diets have a very good chance of screwing their metabolism and ending back at their original weight or heavier in less than two years. You have made the healthier choice to feed your body what it needs. You're doing the right thing, just keep at it.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Would it help to remember that all those people dropping weight on low calorie diets have a very good chance of screwing their metabolism and ending back at their original weight or heavier in less than two years. You have made the healthier choice to feed your body what it needs. You're doing the right thing, just keep at it.

Yep. They might be losing now but the weight will probably be back before they know it.

The whole process does take time, faith and usually a lot of playing around with the numbers/macros/workouts to find what works for you but it is so worth it. I've been here for nearly a year and I'm only just starting to lose, but over the year I've never had to suffer dieting and have been eating between 2000 and 3000 cals every day since then and am still wearing the same clothes even though I'm now about 15lbs heavier than when I started (hello muscles!)
  • night_watcher
    night_watcher Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MrsCJ1
    MrsCJ1 Posts: 77
    Options
    Thank you EVERYONE for your replies. It is encouraging to hear that I'm not the only one dealing with this frustration, and it also helps to be reminded of what is true and important. I am going to stick with it.

@Cari.. thanks for your empathy. It's nice to know I'm not the only one!
    @ Norcal and KarenJ...Good point about NOT overtraining and just "letting it be". I think obsessing over it can almost be counter productive at times.
    @ Faeriewings yes, that is a helpful reminder.

Thanks again everyone!
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Wow this is exactly how I've been feeling this week. I dropped some "holiday weight" quickly at the beginning of the year on a LCD, and I got stuck. I want to do this the right way, but I've been "on the horse" for 3 years now. I've lost 60 pounds and reached my goal size (8/10 - I like my juicy booty), but I don't like how flabby I feel/look in the mirror.

I gained 11 pounds on my reset, while a lot of my friends are doing Weight Watchers, low/no carbs, and taking diet pills and doing tons of yoga. A friend started at my pre-reset weight (165ish) around Thanksgiving and now she's 145. Here I am at 180 now (still a size 10 though LOL).

I think I will try cutting way back on cardio after my 2 races next month. Maybe my body needs a break.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a different exercise routine to challenge you again. If you've just been doing P90x for the last year, perhaps your body is use to the routine and it's easy for you, so you're not being pushed to burn as many calories.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a different exercise routine to challenge you again. If you've just been doing P90x for the last year, perhaps your body is use to the routine and it's easy for you, so you're not being pushed to burn as many calories.

This is kind of a misunderstanding.

Unless you have just gotten totally efficient with the routines compared to when you started (which indeed could be the case for like P90X), it takes the same amount of calories if the pace and intensity is the same, and you weigh the same.

Same amount of energy (calories) is required to lift 5 lbs free from gravity, and while you may do it slightly more efficient, the bigger difference will be the weight.

The only reason muscle confusion works is because you did not increase the intensity to compensate for the efficiency of doing it - if that actually happened. So just moving to some new workout brings back the same inefficiency.

But unless you are dealing with complex movements that could even have lots of improvement, you being lighter is much bigger impact on burning less - if you don't increase the intensity or the load.

So the solution is to push it harder, no need to change up.

And in this area HRM's are terrible at estimating calories, because they'll see a lower HR and assume that means lower calorie burn, if you don't have a better model with VO2max anyway. But actually you are burning exactly the same, your heart and lungs are just more efficient.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I can totally understand where you're coming from and it's extremely frustrating.

Just keep in mind that those people at work who are on a VLCD will be "skinny fat" versions of their old self. Sure, they may look great when they're wearing pants and long-sleeved shirts but the minute summer comes around and it's time to break out the shorts and tank tops, they are gonna see major FLAB!!!!! Who wants to be skinny but have tons of fat and loose skin hanging off their bodies?? Not me...and not YOU!!!

That's why you're doing this!!! Because you want to be toned and strong!! You want to show up at the beach this summer rockin' your bathing suit and have all those "skinny fat" people looking at you, wondering what your secret is!

For me, what worked when I got stuck was increasing my calories by 200-300 and reducing the amount of cardio I was doing (was doing 6 days of cardio in addition to my 3 days of strength training). The moment I increased my cals and dropped the high amount of cardio...BAM....the scale starting move down again!

Just keep believing in yourself....you can do this!!!! And we're all here to support you!
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I actually printed this out and put it on my fridge and my bathroom mirror:

"Kira, do you want to be thin? Or do you want to be fit and healthy and well-fed for the rest of your life? Make the choice."

Helps me get back on track when I'm getting frustrated with how 'fast' it is for other folks. It's purely anecdotal, but I have a friend who lost 30 pounds in 6 months through vast amounts of cardio and 1400 calories a day. And now she is stuck. Has been for almost 4 months. Despite what I suggest, she just keeps doing more cardio and trying to eat less. If she stays on that track, she will never reach her 'goal', and be frustrated for a long time. Meanwhile, I am eating 2200 cal, doing very little cardio, lifting heavy, and losing weight slowly but surely. More importantly - what I"m doing, I could easily do for the rest of my life (no deprivation). Like I said anecdotal, but sometimes we need to hear those stories.

You can do it!
  • MrsCJ1
    MrsCJ1 Posts: 77
    Options
    @ Twinmom and kirabob... Thank you so much for the encouragement. That is exactly what I needed!

I think I am going to focus more on lifting and less on cardio. P90x is great, but very cardio based. I miss the gym and.. frankly.. I'm a little burnt out on p90x anyway.

But again... the words of encouragement and support is what I really needed so thank you! I will keep on pressing on. :smile:
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Needed to hear this myself, thank you all for the encouragement and good luck MrsCJ1.