How Do You Keep Your Produce Fresh????

Options
krystal193
krystal193 Posts: 38 Member
I love fruits and I am learning to love veggies but I have a hard time paying $$$$$ for produce for it to spoil before I have a chance to eat it. :sad: This stuff cost waaaaaay too much to waste. And I dont have the time to shop every week for produce.

The only other solution is to find a way to make them last longer. Share your tips and product suggesions here. Thanks! :heart:

Replies

• beachbrat52
    Options
    I understand completely! I try to hit the produce market once a week and load up. When i get home, I fill up my kitchen sink with a dab of dawn dish soap and water and dump everything that is a solid piece to rinse dirt/bacteria off. Then change the water and repeat and do all my single stuff like green beans, asparagus etc. I always rinse really well and put in strainers or on a large mat/towel on counter. Afterwards, I spin off the water on lettuce in my spinner and put in paper towels and place in either a large Plastic container or a large Ziploc bag and put in frig. I the wash and cut up all other veggies and repeat process. I also fill up portion sized snack baggies or containers to grab and go. I also use Steamer bags and pre-fill them for easy use later in week either at home or at work. I am a HUGE fan of Lock and Lock Containers. They are sold every where, but I get mine on QVC. You can store, cook, freeze or microwave in them, and they are dishwasher safe too! I the do the same thing for fruits too. This simple process will save you time,money and most of all calories throughout the week!! Good Luck.
  • cacklingcat
    cacklingcat Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Well to be honest your probably better off buying frozen then most of the time if you dont want to shop weakly. Many vegges and only last a week or less some last more of cores like cabbage and squash. The trick is what will last better in the fridge or will last longer out of the fridge. I found a diagram once on pintrest that explained it all but i cant fined it now sry. Best thing is to do an internet search on the shelf life of the produce you want to buy :happy:
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I use those "stay fresh produce bags" they advertise on TV. I get them at our local discount store for $2 a box (20/box). you know the little green bags..... I know it sounds too good to be true but they do work! Honest!!! my fruit and veggies last 2X as long.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Try wrapping greens in newspaper w/ out a bag. Herbs in a slightly damp towel in a loosely sealed bag.
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    BUMP GOOD QUESTION ILL LOOK ON THE INTERNET AND SEE WHAT I CAN FIND OUT. XXX GG
  • Maureen0208
    Maureen0208 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Put your leafy greens in a bag (lettuce,spinach,cilantro,ect...) blow air in the bag and tie closed. The carbon dioxide keeps them from wilting for a to longer.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I usually shop once every two weeks and don't find it hard to keep produce fresh. Make sure your fridge is cold enough, and don't wash delicate produce like spring greens and berries until you're ready to use them. Keep the highly perishable stuff out on the open shelving in the fridge, and have a plan for how to use those items. Keep the less perishable produce-- root vegetables, cruciferous vegetables, citrus fruits-- in the drawers, and rely on them once you're already used the other stuff. If vegetables are getting close to going bad, do a quick saute or stir fry with them one night. Also, don't be so quick to throw things away. No reason to toss a container of berries if only a few are moldy, or an overripe spotted banana, or asparagus if the tips are slimy, or a bunch of celery that's gone limp. The bad parts can be cut off and there are always uses for produce that's past its prime.
  • jiz35
    jiz35 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Green veggie 'stay fresh' bags from Lakeland. They do work.
  • krystal193
    krystal193 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I found the green bags, after serching high and low, at the As Seen On TV store in the mall. I just happened to spot them through the window. They are working out great. I also began using frozen veggies and steamer bags. They are tasty!
  • MarisaDLS2
    MarisaDLS2 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    1. Mushrooms - do not wash prior to storing in fridge, place them in brown paper bag, then that brown paper bag into a plastic bag, store in fridge - the brown paper bag absorbs any moisture the mushrooms make on their surface - the plastic bag prevents the mushrooms from drying up - if you don't use the mushrooms in several days and notice the paper bag getting wilted, replace the brown paper bag with a fresh one.

2. Spinach - I rewash the prewashed spinach in a bit of non-triclosan dish soap and water, rinse gently til no suds, let drain.
    Roll out a length of 6 non-disintigrating paper towels (I use Viva), place one layer of drained spinach leaves on the towels, roll the towels up jelly-roll style, store the spinach rolled up in papertowel in a plastic bag and store in fridge near the front.
    Usually takes 2 rolls for 1 lb of prebagged prewashed spinach.
    If left in the prewashed bag, a lot of the leaves get slimy. I've had spinach last for 2 weeks using this method.
  • abeechu
    abeechu Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree with making sure everything is washed and dried before putting in separate bags (I use Ziploc -- cheapest and reusable). If it helps, you can also put a dry paper towel in the bag on top of the vegetables to soak up any remaining condensation. It has worked out really well for me.

Also, for fruits/kale/easily spoiled things that you are keeping for smoothies or for adding a little flavor to your water, you can always blend them finely with some water and freeze into ice cubes. Kale is notorious for spoiling within a week so this way you can make it last for more than a few months at a time!
  • debhaley1
    debhaley1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    A safe and effective way to clean your veggies an fruits is to fill up the kitchen sink with tepid water and add 1 cup of vinegar and let sit for 15-30 minutes rinse well and let air dry and store. I thought this was bogus til I tried it and was very happy with the end results, don't be surprised at how long your strawberries will last. I got 9 days before one got a little mold on it.
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The Cook
    Topic: How Do You Keep Your Produce Fresh????

bump again