Our Invitation to You

Options
forme2310
forme2310 Posts: 157 Member
We of Overeaters Anonymous have made a discovery. At the very first meeting we attended, we learned that we were in the clutches of a dangerous illness, and that willpower, emotional health and self-confidence, which some of us had once possessed were no defense against it.

We have found that the reasons for the illness are unimportant. What deserves the attention of the still-suffering compulsive overeater is this: there is a proven, workable method by which we can arrest our illness.

The OA recovery program is patterned after that of Alcoholics Anonymous. We use AA's Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, changing only the words "alcohol" and "alcoholic" to "food" and "compulsive overeater".

As our personal stories attest, the Twelve-Step program of recovery works as well for compulsive overeaters as it does for alcoholics.

Can we guarantee you this recovery? The answer is simple. If you will honestly face the truth about yourself and the illness; if you will keep coming back to meetings to talk and listen to other recovering compulsive overeaters; if you will read our literature and that of Alcoholics Anonymous with an open mind and, most important, if you are willing to rely on a power greater than yourself for direction in your life, and to take the Twelve Steps to the best or your ability, we believe you can indeed join the ranks of those who recover.

To remedy the emotional, physical, and spiritual illness of compulsive overeating we offer several suggestions, but keep in mind that the basis of the program is spiritual, as evidenced by the Twelve Steps.

We are not a "diet and calories" club. We do not endorse any particular plan of eating. We practice abstinence by staying away from eating between planned meals and from all individual binge foods. Once we become abstinent, the preoccupation with food diminishes and in many cases, leaves us entirely. We then find that, to deal with our inner turmoil, we have to have a new way of thinking, or acting on life rather than reacting to it - in essence, a new way of living.

From this vantage point, we begin the Twelve Step program of recovery, moving beyond the food and the emotional havoc to a fuller living experience. As a result of practicing the Steps, the symptom of compulsive overeating is removed on a daily basis, achieved through the process of surrendering to something greater than ourselves; the more total our surrender, the more fully realized our freedom from food obsession.

"But I'm too weak. I'll never make it" Don't worry, we have all thought and said the same thing. The amazing secret to the success of this program is just that: it is weakness, not strength, that binds us to each other and to a Higher Power and somehow gives us the ability to do what we cannot do alone.

If you decide you are one of us, we welcome you with open arms. Whatever your circumstances, we offer you the gift of acceptance. You are not alone anymore. Welcome to Overeaters Anonymous. Welcome Home!

Replies

• bdsnwbrdgirl
    bdsnwbrdgirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for accepting me as well. I've been in OA off/on for 4 years and have been struggling since. I don't think I've really fully surrendered to the first step. I have a lot of work to do and I know this. There aren't many meetings in my local area and I am also a full time graduate student and teach and work, so things are a bit hectic. My goal is to re-reread my books and start with step one. Thanks for the acceptance. -Brianne
  • JennyRN70
    Options
    Hi - I am new to OA - I am 3 days abstinent and so happy to be starting this journey - I look forward to the learning and growing to come :)
  • raggyanndoll
    Options
    Welcome to OA! Welcome home! It is always wonderful to see newbies around here. Post often in this group as this helps all of us.
  • JennyRN70
    Options
    Hi thank-you for the welcome - I am just about to go to a restaurant for dinner - I am kind of nervous - but I have my higher power and I spoke to a member of my OA group today so I am good to go - I have planned what I am going to have and I don't plan on having that change :) Day 4 abstinent and one day at a time!!
  • Shunthor
    Shunthor Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've just learned about OA and am planning to go to my first F2F meeting this week. I just wanted to say hi. :happy:

18927760.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • CharleneG_Barnes
    CharleneG_Barnes Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am not a member of OA, I dont know that there is even a group where I live, I have been very successful on MFP but had a NSV this week (its been coming for a while now) and would like some new friends who might understand where I am coming from. I think ppl in OA would fit that bill. If your interested in new friends, please add me. Now I wish I had copied my post from my wall on Friday to share but if you are interested you can read it and will see what I mean, Thanks to anyone who chooses to send a friend request. Thank you
  • Terri_Wickwire
    Terri_Wickwire Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Just want to say I am SO glad to have found this group on MFP!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • MSP107
    MSP107 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hello new to the group. Currently have not gone to F2F meeting. I went to OA years ago. I am 3 days abstinent today and excited to meet new people that are living One Day(meal) At a Time
  • Terri_Wickwire
    Terri_Wickwire Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Welcome, MSP!! We are so glad you have joined us.
    :flowerforyou:
  • carolinegauthierlaval
    Options
    Today I Went to my first meeting... and I'm so happy about that!
  • kaihunter45
    kaihunter45 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone. My name is Kai and I have not been to an OA meeting yet, but I do have the meeting information for my area. I'm just trying to overcome my fears and actually go to a meeting. This month I started addiction counseling for food addiction. I'm hoping this will lead me to a place where I can actually attend a meeting. I'm open to any comments and/or friendships. Thank you, Kai
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Hi there, and welcome aboard :) Yeah, showing up in person can be tough. Showing up here can be too, so you are well on your way!
  • katatbreezy
    Options
    Hi, I've been with MFP since August '12 and OA on and off for the last 2 years. Just realized there was an OA message board and I'm thrilled. Kind of been stuck in my step work lately so finding this group is encouraging.
  • jessiekanga
    Options
    Welcome aboard!
  • claymic
    claymic Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi

I just joined at the suggestion of a member on a different group. I have never been to a meeting - not sure there are any over here, but I am at a point where I want to leave it all behind.

I love good food, but food does not have to have such a hold on me.
  • jessiekanga
    Options
    Hi

I just joined at the suggestion of a member on a different group. I have never been to a meeting - not sure there are any over here, but I am at a point where I want to leave it all behind.

I love good food, but food does not have to have such a hold on me.

Welcome!!! Takes a lot of guts to pop in and post, good for you!!! I love what you said about loving good food, but it doesn't have to have such a hold. I hear you. Again, welcome.
  • shabir
    shabir Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello, I just went to my first meeting yesterday and felt I was at home. I have been using MFP (with varying degrees of seriousness) for a couple years now. I was very pleased to find an OA group this morning.
  • franinaz
    franinaz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone...new to this group and to OA as well. I went to my first meeting a few days ago. It certainly opened my eyes to a few things about myself. Wow--do I have work to do! It's a very supportive group and I have a contact who I call every morning and we discuss my food plan. Glad to be here! Fran
  • julesoa
    julesoa Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone...new to this group and to OA as well. I went to my first meeting a few days ago. It certainly opened my eyes to a few things about myself. Wow--do I have work to do! It's a very supportive group and I have a contact who I call every morning and we discuss my food plan. Glad to be here! Fran

Hi Fran
    Welcome! My first OA meeting was in November 2011 and it has certainly changed me, on the outside and on the inside. Stick around because as we say 'It works if you work it". Having a supportive group and someone to call every day is wonderful. I find calliing people in programme every day really beneficial. :flowerforyou:
  • sebedina
    sebedina Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the information on the invitation and the 12 steps.

It is my first day of me being part of OA. I need one day of abstinance from eating sugar foods between meals, saying no when people bring it to me or offer it and stopping eating when I know i've eaten enough. Not keep eating and eating to stuff myself.

I want to feel "release" from its grip so I can feel free and be able to enjoy life. To have a guilt free day, feel released.