metformin

Options
2»

Replies

• alsoagood1
    alsoagood1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    call your doctors office and tell them what is happening -- don't change the dosage without his/her permission. Everyone has a different reaction to medication but don't do it yourself, talk to your doctor first - then go by what his/her suggestion is.
  • BeckyAnne4
    BeckyAnne4 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Nausea and diarrhea are two very common side effects when starting metformin. This can last a few days, or up to a few weeks (unfortunately). If your symptoms are severe, you may want to talk to your doctor about if it's ok for you to take 1 dose a day for a while to start while your body gets used to things.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I guess I am very lucky. I started this last week and haven't had any additional problems to the ones I already have.
  • joeysrib
    joeysrib Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I had this reaction for the full 10 years I was on it. Finally I told my Dr that it was just as bad then as day 1, and that I felt like I had broken glass and razor blades running through my gut, and that I was gonna quit taking it, he changed me over to extended release, same symptoms! Glipizide does the same thing. Now I am on insulin, 5 shots a day, but I would rather have to take those shots, than have my gut hurt like it did.

I hope you don't have the same as I did, and that your body adjusts quickly.:bigsmile:
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I guess I lucked out, started with 1 500mg with breakfast (ALWAYS take with food) and then after 2 days went to 2 500mg tablets a day, the other I take with dinner. Never had any reaction (knock on wood) to it. Definitely speak to your Dr about getting acclimated to it.
  • joapple11
    joapple11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I tend to have "tummy troubles" anyway, and Metformin just made it 10 times worse. I was on it for over 6 months, and finally my doctor switched me over to Januvia. If you don't adjust to it, ask for something else. Although I will say that Metformin works nicely on the blood glucose. Just not so great with the tummy. Good luck!