Can I lose weight & build muscle on Keto diet?

Options
Fat2FitChick
Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
I have been on Keto for a few months now and have lost 28 lbs but I want to tone and build a little muscle at the same time so I am not a big ole bowl of jelly as I lose because I am starting to see things jiggling that weren't before as I am losing fat. I don't quite know if I should continue on a deficit, or up my calories or what. Please help!

Replies

• Fat2FitChick
    Options
    Anyone??
  • witeowl
    witeowl Posts: 89
    Options
    Lots of people build muscle on a small to moderate deficit. It can be difficult to do both at the same time, which is why bodybuilders cycle between cutting and bulking, but it's certainly not impossible. One thing I would recommend: If your body is calling out for it (hunger), don't be afraid to eat back your calories from strenuous strength workouts.

Also, depending on what your protein intake is currently, you may wish to up your protein. The keto calculator (http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/) gives pretty good guidelines.
  • redwngs13
    redwngs13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you're brand new to lifting, then it is possible to build muscle on a calorie deficit while you continue to lose fat. It's something called "newbie gains". But I think after a while your muscle gains slow down and you'll have to start eating at a surplus in order to build more muscle. If your main goal is to continue to lose weight and fat, then I'd continue what you're doing, but start adding in weight lifting. You'll for sure notice things start to tighten up after a while. Also, I agree with the other poster that you should up your protein intake if you aren't already getting enough.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you are right now and what your primary goal is.
    As a start, for a successful body recomposition with keto or its variations, protein will have to be set higher, usually at 1.2g per lean pound on days you do heavy lifting, and 0.8 to 1.0g per pound of lean body weight on rest days.
  • belizsera
    belizsera Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    As a start, for a successful body recomposition with keto or its variations, protein will have to be set higher, usually at 1.2g per lean pound on days you do heavy lifting, and 0.8 to 1.0g per pound of lean body weight on rest days.

^This! I am seeing more tone since I added a protein powder on the days I lift weights. I just add a scoop of Isopure to almond milk and blend it really good. I typically do two upper body weight days (Sunday and Wednesday). My back and shoulders are now getting very toned and my biceps are getting harder. I noticed the changes "after" I added the extra protein on those days. Do to some serious knee issues the only lower body exercise I can do at the moment is straight legged deadlifts. I increase my poundage every few weeks.
  • Fat2FitChick
    Options

I'm sorry but I don't understand this. Can you explain because I don't know how many pounds of lean body weight I have to be able to calculate how much protein I need. I bumped my macros to 70/25/5 so I am getting 5% more protein than before but still not sure if that is enough. Like today I am at 86g of protein.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    the ketogains subreddit might be a good place to start.
  • Fat2FitChick
    Options
    Thank you!!
    the ketogains subreddit might be a good place to start.