The Weekly Male Stop (4/19/13 - 4/25/13)

Options
KevinS62
KevinS62 Posts: 239 Member
Sup?

The last few weeks my weight loss had slowed. But I seemed to have snapped out of my funk this week. Was I at a plateau? Why did I seem to lose a pound a day since Monday? I was sick on Sunday night, but have felt great since. I dunno, and not sure I care. Maybe it was a fluke, but I'll take the 4.8 lb loss!

I modified my goal to 185 a while back, but still not sure I know what that number needs to be. All along, my real goal was to get rid of my gut. And looking in the mirror this morning, I still have a ways to go.

I also realize that without some exercising/weight lifting, I might not get to chose where the pounds come from. Let's see if I can get moving on that a little now.

So how are YOU guys doing?

-Kevin
SW: 247
CW: 202
GW: 185 (for now?)

Replies

• cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    SW: 259
    CW: 217
    GW: 174

Lost a couple pounds this week, but MFP has evidently decided despite my settings, not to update my feed when I drop.

Last couple months have been big on hiking in mountains for general physical fitness, starting with little 2 milers and adding each time. Now up to two 6+ mile hikes both days of weekend, climbing at least 70 stories over that span. My legs feel great. I wish I could run, but have a foot tendon rupture that's only a year from healing, so taking it slow. Someday.

This week, since I'm about 1/2 way through my weight loss plan, I started on the upper body. Did push ups for first time in 20 years, as well as heavily leg assisted pull ups. 5 days later I'm still very sore especially in chest, so my muscles didn't see that one coming!! But I'm going to keep it up. I got a couple resistance bands that you can put over bar and through foot, and it allows even weak fat guys like me to do proper form pullups. Couple MFP buddies that lift got me hooked up with that.

I'll stick with this the next 12 weeks. Situps for core. Push ups for chest and triceps, and pull-ups for back and biceps. That's it. I want to do this old school.

Have a great week guys.
  • KevinS62
    Options
    Good job on getting into an exercise routine. That's definitely my next step!
  • CallMePat
    CallMePat Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys!

I've been really slacking since November. Been eating better and exercising for a few weeks, and am finally logging all my food again.
    I must admit how disappointing it is to have put back on some pounds, but thats just more motivation.
    I did however weigh myself nearly twice a day most of the time I was on myfitnesspal, but this round I figure once or twice a week will be good. Is that what y'all do?
    Anyways, back on the ball now.
    SW - 305
    CW - 251 (ish, haven't weighed since last week)
    Short Term GW - 225
    Long Term GW - 195-210

Good Luck this week guys
  • Nah113
    Nah113 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi Pat. I've done the same kind of thing. Stick with it man.

As for weigh-ins, I do once a week on Thursday. I do a pre-weigh-in on Wednesday so I know that I have to stay focused for the real thing on Thursday. It was working pretty well before I hit this plateau. We'll see on Wednesday.

Don't get too psyched about the scale. They're manufactured by skinny liars anyway!
  • jordad75
    jordad75 Posts: 1
    Options
    hello everyone, I seem to have reached the plateau also, I dropped @25 pounds when I was diagnosed with diabetes 2, I've changed my eating habits, and work out at least 5 times a week. I do aerobics, and strength training, it's kind of frustrating, but i'll have to find the formula...
  • kobrien65
    kobrien65 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So here's a motivator for me. I've lost 10lbs so far. Mostly through diet, but I know I have to lift to keep from losing muscle mass in my weight loss. I wear the Body Media Fit and keep my calorie deficit to 1000 kCal per day and that's how I'm losing. I have a makeshift weight room in my house, and to get a sense of what I lost I picked up a 10lb weight in one hand today and carried it around. My reaction was "Are you freakin' kidding me???" That gets heavy after a while, and I carried that each and every day around my belt. No wonder my knees hurt. Guys like Kev that have lost 45+...pick that stuff up in a Curl Bar and feel proud about yourself because you're my motivation...and I love my beer too!
  • thadius65
    thadius65 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The bug hit me also Kevin. I was on track for a good week and estimated about a 3.5lb drop. Thursday 5am came and felt terrible. Figured I would plow through workout and maybe feel better. No such luck. Ended up coming home and spending 36 hours in bed. Through frequent trips to the bathroom, I was down 6.5lbs for the week! Major water loss. I am about back to normal and hope to close out my 4 month contest with my sister with a 25% weight loss. Worked out and ate normal today and all seems okay.

Good luck to all this coming week.
  • dad040859
    dad040859 Posts: 66
    Options
    Kevin, when did you start your program? 45 lbs down w/o any cardio or lifting? How long did it take you to do that, and do you attribute it to diet (calories in) only?

When I joined the Navy in 1981, I tipped the scales at 245...surprised they let me in, but nine weeks of boot camp later, I graduated at 187. Never missed a meal, but there was no snacking, either. Not physically demanding workouts like my Marine buddies, but tough nonetheless. We marched or double-timed (ran) everywhere on base. Because our barracks was at one end of Great Lakes and the chow hall was at the other end, I'd guess between marching and drills, we were doing 2-3 hours of cardio every day.

I realize I was 30 years younger then with a different metabolism, but my point is I was able to drop 58 pounds in 9 weeks because distractions (TV, girls, etc) weren't around, and that little voice in our head that tells us we need to get in shape became a very real chief petty officer with a not-so-little voice in my face.

Fast forward to now...turned 54 a couple of weeks ago and realized I was ten pounds away from where I was at when I entered boot camp. Conjured up that chief petty officer's voice and got moving again. 30-50 minutes of cardio per day (walking at 3.0-3.5 pace), I should do more but easing in to it these past two weeks; things tend to get sore easier and stay that way longer at this age...:)

This is my third shot at MFP; after the first two times, learned not to beat myself up if I was over my "target" for the day. Watching portions and carbs, trying to watch sodium but almost never successful.

Anyway, long story short - down 6 lbs so far. Congrats to all of you; as for plateaus, ups and downs, there are obviously a thousand things that go down during our weeks. Keep doing what you're doing, that's truly the only success you need to think about!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I'm away from home for a few weeks, so I won't be able to weigh in. But I'm really tough on my diet and my workouts have been more regular and more intense (even did the Warrior Dash today). I don't have weight, but I was able to put on some jeans my gf bought me that I couldn't fit into four weeks ago. I'll take that. Next weigh in won't be until May 5th.
  • CJDaniel7
    CJDaniel7 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I am relatively new here. At weigh-in I was 238 (March 4). My high has been 250 and am currently 218 after 6 weeks.
    I work hard, live at the beach and try to stay active. I was never heavy through high school, and in college was just big 6'2" 200, never concerned about my weight. Worked in restaurants from age 15 was active. In my 30's weight slowly crept up mainly I think due to inactivity and diet (although my diet was always restaurant food) Fast forward, now regular job, had hit a high of 250, and felt like a slug. Quit drinking soda altogether a few years ago, and started being more mindful of eating.
    Quit fastfood, and try to prepare most of my meals. Just got out of a show that had me at work from 6am-10pm everyday, it was hard to workout and eat right.

I think I know how to eat now, it is just taking the time to prepare for work..
    I am much more active, gym, tennis, raquetball and swimming, it just isn't scheduled, it is shoved in free time slots.

I am going to work on planning my time and my eating, and preparing my meals ahead of time.
    I thank you for the support.
  • KevinS62
    Options
    Kevin, when did you start your program? 45 lbs down w/o any cardio or lifting? How long did it take you to do that, and do you attribute it to diet (calories in) only?

I started Jan 7th and have made progress mostly on diet alone. Yeah, some days I feel like I'm depriving myself, but it hasn't been that bad. And this is only temporary. I'm about to raise my calorie target a bit as I settle in a bit closer to my goal weight. In addition to cutting calories, I've really watched what I eat. I've stayed away from potatoes, rice, white bread, and cut way back on pasta. My breakfast is one egg and black coffee. Lunch is a can of soup and 5-6 crackers or a can of tuna and whole wheat toast. A typical dinner meal for me right now is a 4-6 oz meat (chicken, fish, beef) and a vegitable. Either lettuce salad, broccoli, green beans, cauliflower,etc. When I snack, I try to snack good, veggie sticks when available. But have had peanuts as well.

I've cut way back on milk and we don't keep soda around the house. I like my beer and have changed to Bud Select 55. Low on carbs and only 55 calories (Bud Light is 110 calories). Sure, it's probably half the alcohol, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

It's really helped to get my wife on board with this. She's the best cook in the house and does the grocery shopping. I really couldn't have done this without her.

-Kevin
  • KevinS62
    Options
    Just got back from being out of town for the weekend. Needless to say, I put some weight back on. It's hard to be good when you are living in a motel and forced to eat out. I was up nearly 5 lbs this morning and almost didn't step on the scales. But I wanted to know the damage and will get my butt in gear, starting today. I got 4 days to get back where I was and hopefully lose a bit more. I was getting so close to the 200. Can't wait to see 199.
  • CJDaniel7
    CJDaniel7 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Just got back from being out of town for the weekend. Needless to say, I put some weight back on. It's hard to be good when you are living in a motel and forced to eat out. I was up nearly 5 lbs this morning and almost didn't step on the scales. But I wanted to know the damage and will get my butt in gear, starting today. I got 4 days to get back where I was and hopefully lose a bit more. I was getting so close to the 200. Can't wait to see 199.

Kevin (Streittk),
    45 pounds is really impressive. Helps motivate.
    My weekly weigh was today also, and I was at working on special project 6am to 10pm almost everynight last week, and food (very little healthy) was provided every night and a big party on Saturday. I was up .5 for my official weigh in. I am not complaining but I want to hit 199 as well. I am not sure I want to stay at 199 as I feel it won't look good on my, but I want to at least hit in once to show myself I can. I have cut out soda, and almost all milk as well. I also have cut off all alcohol for three months (started March 4, to June 4) just to get my numbers going. My Dr told me I am borderline for several issues: Diabetes, Blood Pressure and Cholesterol. I have those three months to prove to the Dr, that I can do it without any meds.
  • dad040859
    dad040859 Posts: 66
    Options
    CJ - good for you; we live in such an over-medicated nation, and deep in our heart of hearts we know the doctor is just giving us whatever we want so we'll stop whining and go away. Not an indictment of all docs, but I'd prefer to go your route and fix it myself. My A1C is 6, borderline type 2 diabetes. No meds for me, either! Good luck...
  • KevinS62
    Options
    My Dr told me I am borderline for several issues: Diabetes, Blood Pressure and Cholesterol. I have those three months to prove to the Dr, that I can do it without any meds.

Good luck. I try to avoid perscription meds myself. Lower weight and some exercise will help. I'm taking something for cholesterol and something for my back. So, not bad for a 50 year old. :happy:
  • KevinS62
    Options
    I did however weigh myself nearly twice a day most of the time I was on myfitnesspal, but this round I figure once or twice a week will be good. Is that what y'all do?

Pat,
    I weigh myself every time I pass the scales. :happy: Seriously though, I weigh myself daily, but only record it on Fridays. I record my weight once a week, in my briefs, after my morning pee. There's too much daily fluxuation to do it any more often.

I chose Friday mornings because if I'm going to have a few beers or go to a BBQ, it's going to be on the weekend, and I'll have the rest of the week to work it back off.
  • Nate0047
    Nate0047 Posts: 105
    Options
    hello everyone, I seem to have reached the plateau also, I dropped @25 pounds when I was diagnosed with diabetes 2, I've changed my eating habits, and work out at least 5 times a week. I do aerobics, and strength training, it's kind of frustrating, but i'll have to find the formula...

I lost about 25 lbs before hitting my first plateau, too. I found a couple of things that can cause this. First, your body loses a lot of weight in water when you start dieting, so you lose the weight rather quickly. Once the water is gone, it takes a lot more effort to lose the fat. Second, your body is good at adapting to whatever you're doing (i.e. it does everything more efficiently once it learns the routine), which makes it harder to keep losing weight by doing the same thing. I changed my workout so that it was more intense, and had a lot more strength training involved, and started eating a diet higher in protein. I've dropped another 25lbs or so since. Also, make sure you drink enough water. Higher sodium concentrations can cause water retention, which in turn leads to weight gain.
  • FitGoal165
    Options
    Hey guys. I posted a gain last week. Up 0.6 pounds. I am not at Defcon yet but I can't get on track to save my life. And, what used ot be easy (getting in a good workout) seems like the hardest thing to do these days. The wife and I have a trip to Jamaica planned in about 4 months so I need to get back after it. I am very happy to have this group though. It's cool to hear about other people's successes and struggles. Going forward, I expect to have more success than struggles.

HW 192
    SW 182
    CW 167.2
    GW 160
  • Nah113
    Nah113 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. Well, I'm stuck on the same plateau. I've been here before, I'm down 22 lbs since Feb 1 but, nothing for the last several weeks. I've already dropped my calories from 2140 to 1870 and I'm almost never over. I haven't been doing any kind of work outs because I've been remodeling the master bathroom. I work in my office all day and then do the carpentry,plumbing and tile work in the evening. not much time left. anyway, perhaps in a week or two I'll add some cardio, maybe that will make a difference.

I'm so sick of being 309. I just want to see some progress.
  • alexfro
    alexfro Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So im pretty new to this. Started logging my food and been pretty good at staying at my target calories and not going over. been about a week now. just looking for some encouragement or advice. Been going to the gym and rotating my cycle of chest/back, shoulders and arms, and legs. along with cardio. so really just looking for some advice i guess.

SW 185
    CW 182
    GW 150