Need help planning exercise

Options
fresh_start59
fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
I am having trouble creating a good full-body exercise program that I can consistently complete every week.

On top of being fat and lazy with an intense dislike for anything that resembles exercise, I tend to experience overwhelming exhaustion every 5-7 days. Unfortunately, the fatigue is not consistent. I can't just say that Sunday will be my rest day because I never know when the it is going to hit.

A little background:
I have been obese/morbidly obese for the past 20 years; Current BMI is 38.4, down from 42.7 in October; I lost muscle mass during the past year; I have been sedentary all my life; I have poor cardio endurance; I have been cleared (read that as encouraged) to exercise.

My exercise history:
After a year of activity barely above my BMR, I started walking back & forth in my house, increasing my steps from 1,500 in December to about 5,000 in February. Late February, I increased my goal to 6,000 steps and added an upper body resistance band workout 2 times a week. I continued that through March.

In April, I increased my step goal to 7,000 and, for some unknown reason, my resistance band workout fell to the wayside. On the up side, this week I was able to complete two days of Week 1 C25k (5 min. warm up; alternating 60-seconds of jogging with 90-seconds of walking for 20 minutes; 5 min. cool down).

I'm doing good at reaching my current step goal every day, except for those sneaky exhaustion days. I am capable of adding C25k or resistance bands two days a week. But I'd like to find a way to increase that to three for now, then up to four and eventually to five.

I loathe walking (BORING) and most all exercise. But I have found my resistance bands to be tolerable and, in some sick way, I rather enjoyed my two-day attempt at C25k. I would like help creating a full-body exercise plan that I can consistently complete that will allow me to work up to the following goals:

1) 2-3x weekly exercises consisting of "New Rules of Lifting for Life" Level 1. (I can list these exercises if you'd like)
2) 2-3x weekly walk-jog-walk exercise, similar to C25k.
3) Lose fat and, if possible, regain loss muscle mass.

NOTE: I do not have access to a gym.

I currently eat around 1,500-1,600 calories and normally have a deficit of about 500 calories a day. I have been consistently losing 1 pound a week and I'm happy with that. At this point, my main goal is simply better health and I believe that exercise will be the key.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hi! Do you have access to a gym? What equipment, other than the resistance bands, do you have at home?
  • fresh_start59
    Options
    No money for a gym membership.

My equipment is very limited:

light, medium & heavy resistance bands with a door attachment
    treadmill
    1 - 10-lb dumbell
    2 - 3-lb dumbells
    Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds DVD
    Floor mat (I don't have carpet in my house)
    Fitbit

I would be willing to spend up to $100 on additional equipment, provided it is something I would use on an ongoing basis.
  • MrsNolf
    MrsNolf Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    do you have a friend you can walk with/talk to while you walk? I like to go for walks while catching up on the phone =) What about DVDs? If you don't have access to a gym, they can be a really good option to get you moving at home. You could also try to incorporate 7-10 different resistance band exercises into your daily life while watching tv etc? I'm also really into dance workouts on youtube right now. Some of the choreography is pretty crazy, but no one sees me and I figure if I'm moving the whole time I'm doing alright.

I wonder if your exhaustion is related to your diet? I recently started a simple green smoothie challenge (http://simplegreensmoothies.com/30-day-challenge) and with the added daily veg I have so much more energy! I've been doing it about 3 weeks now and I feel amazing. I know a lot of people aren't that into veg - but the recipes have different juices/fruits that make them super yummy.

Good luck!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    No money for a gym membership.

My equipment is very limited:

light, medium & heavy resistance bands with a door attachment
    treadmill
    1 - 10-lb dumbell
    2 - 3-lb dumbells
    Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds DVD
    Floor mat (I don't have carpet in my house)
    Fitbit

I would be willing to spend up to $100 on additional equipment, provided it is something I would use on an ongoing basis.

There are a lot of things you can do with what you have. If you do not already have one, using some of the money to get a digital scale will be a better investment, especially at first.

I will try to come up with a program you can initially go with. Will get back to you shortly.
  • Nimzzi
    Nimzzi Posts: 3
    Options
    Hey there! I can give you some advice... stick with it and get over your hate for exercise or suffer much worse fates (diabetes, heart conditions, death). Being unhealthy is a terrible way to lose your life. You have to make it your own fight,a fight to enjoy your life and make it longer! Enough of that "encouragement", because it sounds kinda brutal.

Some real and free encouragement from a professional: go to youtube and look up Losing it with Jilian. Just watching her torture/help these families is really great inspiration!

I joined Skimble: www.skimble.com and signed up for the year which was only $15 USD. It's mainly for my tablet use, since I can't lug around my PC everywhere it's much better for me. If you don't have a tablet or android/iphone you can upgrade to Pro+ for a little more. If you don't want to throw money at it FINE, they have the free version + app. You can get workout programs, choose different workouts (HUNDREDS OF THEM) they have videos for each exercise and ones that will walk/talk you through it all. It makes it more fun.

Some of the programs don't even feel like work. Personally, I totally enjoy working out (though I am quite out of shape again at the moment).

I am unemployed so I couldn't afford any gym memberships or equipment myself but, I was actually given a very nice Elliptical machine for FREE by a kind soul off of PHREECYCLE.org You may want to look into seeing if they have something like this in your area. Just put a wanted ad up and see if you get a response! You can even try craigslist.

I saw you had resistance bands, there are loads of free workouts on skimble for those as well. It's worth a checkout, for sure.

P.s. Excuse the way I phrase things, my sarcasm and dark humor doesn't translate well in text.
  • fresh_start59
    Options
    I wonder if your exhaustion is related to your diet? I recently started a simple green smoothie challenge (http://simplegreensmoothies.com/30-day-challenge) and with the added daily veg I have so much more energy! I've been doing it about 3 weeks now and I feel amazing. I know a lot of people aren't that into veg - but the recipes have different juices/fruits that make them super yummy.

I like veggies. I love raw spinach. But I'm not so sure how I feel about drinking it. I took a look at the site. I might give the "Beginner's Luck" smoothie a try. I certainly could use the energy.

Not sure if the problem is my diet, though. I'm coming out of a little run in with depression. It had a really nasty hold on me, but I'm working my way out, with the help and encouragement of my doctor and son.
  • fresh_start59
    Options
    There are a lot of things you can do with what you have. If you do not already have one, using some of the money to get a digital scale will be a better investment, especially at first.

I have two digital scales, one for the bathroom and a couple months ago I got one for the kitchen. I use it for nearly everything ... including my 34g of salad dressing. Much more accurate than using measuring spoons or measuring cups.
  • fresh_start59
    Options
    Hey there! I can give you some advice... stick with it and get over your hate for exercise or suffer much worse fates (diabetes, heart conditions, death).

Ain't that the truth!
    My younger sister had a heart attack in her early 40s. While in the hospital, she learned that she also had diabetes. She's is overweight but nothing like me. She is strong and active, the last person I ever thought would have a heart attack.

I'll have to take a look at the Skimble site. It sounds interesting. So far, I've gotten my exercises off YouTube.

BTW ... I am also unemployed. Being a victim of the economy has been a blow to my finances, my ego and my mental well-being. I have finally decided that it is time to stop wallowing in my self pity and start focusing on my health. I am finally starting to see this as a positive turning point in my life.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I have two digital scales, one for the bathroom and a couple months ago I got one for the kitchen. I use it for nearly everything ... including my 34g of salad dressing. Much more accurate than using measuring spoons or measuring cups.

The kitchen one is a must imo - glad you have, and more importantly, use it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Do you have a cell phone where you can download apps?
  • fresh_start59
    Options
    Yes, I do. It's an android.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I have finally decided that it is time to stop wallowing in my self pity and start focusing on my health. I am finally starting to see this as a positive turning point in my life.

This was the key for me. I finally decided I had to make a change if I wanted to spend a long, happy life with my new wife, one where we could be active and vital.

Once you make that decision, the rest is just figuring out the details.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Yes, I do. It's an android.

I am going to check out the skimble app that Nimzzi mentioned. I am not familiar with it but am interested in seeing what it is like.

I think a mix of things would be great for you. Have a set routine that is more resistance training and then throw some more cardio based things into the mix. As I mentioned, I will come up with something for the resistance training based on what you have. Ideally, it will be a full body workout that you would do 3 times a week.

Do you have an app for the C25K? There are a bunch that can be downloaded for free.
  • fresh_start59
    Options
    I do have a C25k app. It's called "C25k Free".

I did Week 1, Day 1 and 2 last Monday and Tuesday. Repeated Week 1, Day 1 today.
    It might be a couple weeks before I can move up to Week 2, but I'm in no hurry. I don't want to push myself to injury or burnout, but I do want to Eat, Train and PROGRESS.

My theme for 2013 is: Baby Steps, because slow and steady will get me to the finish line.
  • fresh_start59
    Options
    This was the key for me. I finally decided I had to make a change if I wanted to spend a long, happy life with my new wife, one where we could be active and vital.
    Congrats on the new wife and the decision to become healthier.

I have no idea why being active seems to come so naturally to some but not to the rest of us. At least we aren't waiting until we are too old make changes.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I did Week 1, Day 1 and 2 last Monday and Tuesday. Repeated Week 1, Day 1 today.
    It might be a couple weeks before I can move up to Week 2, but I'm in no hurry. I don't want to push myself to injury or burnout, but I do want to Eat, Train and PROGRESS.

My theme for 2013 is: Baby Steps, because slow and steady will get me to the finish line.

QFT!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

QFT!

QFT x 2!!!!

You CAN do this :) Good luck and keep your chin up!
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options

I LOVE your theme! This is exactly what I have been doing for 8 years now, since I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia after a motorcycle crash. I've come a long way with Baby Steps, and I know you will too. :flowerforyou:
  • SexyDexie
    SexyDexie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I too am fat and lazy, but I decided to do something about it. I have chronic medical conditions and lazing around on my *kitten* was not helping me. You said you hate walking, but have you tried doing it while listening to an audio book, podcast or radio?That really helps pass the time.

If you have any walking trails in the area that can be an interesting walk. I have seen deer, snakes, birds, fish, abandoned cars and awesome trees walking them.

When I started to walk a few years ago I would be winded after a mile, but I kept at it. Eventually I would walk 10 miles daily until Plantar Fasciatis stopped that. You CAN do it, don't doubt yourself.
  • fresh_start59
    Options
    Thanks to all you for the replies and encouragement.

When I first started reading in this group, I thought everyone here was born and raised in a gym. OK, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I half expected people not to take me seriously since I can't jog 5 miles, bench press 200 pounds or deadlift twice my body weight.

Your replies were very unexpected, extremely encouraging and appreciated more than you'll ever know.
    You said you hate walking, but have you tried doing it while listening to an audio book, podcast or radio?That really helps pass the time.

If you have any walking trails in the area that can be an interesting walk. I have seen deer, snakes, birds, fish, abandoned cars and awesome trees walking them

I used to listen to audio books during my 45-minute commute. Listening to them while I walk is a great idea! I need to see if there is a way to get them onto my iPod. (if there's a way, my son can help me with that.)

No nature trails near my neighborhood, but I'll do some checking and see if there are some nearby. It would be nice if I could find a couple walking buddies.Like most poor, densely populated areas, my community has it's share of druggies and thugs. My son has been robbed twice. Once on his way to school and another time after getting off the bus coming home from an evening college class. For now, I'll have to stick to my house, backyard, Walmart and the mall.
This discussion has been closed.