TMI: TummyTrouble

Options
briannadunn
briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
I am so bloated and when I eat a lot of veges my intestines hurt, is this normal for a high fiber diet? How long does it last?

Replies

• ohcobblers
    ohcobblers Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Wow, wish I could help. My stomach feels so much better when all I eat are veggies.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Bodies seem to adjust with a little time.

Of course there are combinations that are "deadly" that vary from person to person. I cannot have tofu and grapes on the same night.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I found if I'm having a lot of trouble it's usually one particular food item. I just excluded one a week to see how I felt. I almost ended up in the ER in November the gas built up in my system hurt so badly. I stopped my morning bowl of Rip's Big Bowl cereal and I felt immediately better. Then I went to picking out what was in it that gave me so much trouble. At first I thought it was flax, but later I found it it was oats. I've developed a major sensitivity to oats. When I don't eat them I'm great. I sure miss my oatmeal though. Oh well. I do love shredded wheat.
  • d1meshel
    d1meshel Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey, This happens to me sometimes too. How long have you been vegetarian? Your system has to get used to all that extra bulk. Some veggies are "gassier" then others. Broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower.. Get generic Gas-X aka simethicone and take one a day or as needed to help. It is really gentle- even ok for babies. Its less than 2 dollars at Walmart.
    Everything in moderation.
  • Stellaspike
    Options
    I found I had to adjust the volume of what I ate, drank a little more water, and after a few weeks the digestive system sorted itself out. I was farting a lot and had to make a lot of trips to the bathroom for number II. Are you vegan or vegetarian?