Lookng for help

Options
:noway: Hi everyone. Im new to the group I have to eat primal/paleo because I had a trainer screw with my metabolism and hormones and I need to heal an auto immune syndrome I have because of it. I have been trying but I am sick of plain food. And not sure if I am getting enough calories because everything is plain. I even choke on my food anymore. Suggestions for meal planning? Thank you

Replies

• Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Hi - welcome to the primal- paleo group.... a bunch of friendly folks around here :smile:

So have you checked out MarksDailyApple.com Great website that will have lots of articles, blogs and success stories - maybe some will relate to you.

Post back and be more specific about what your questions are and what you'd like to know.
  • athenalove46
    athenalove46 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    No need to eat plain food! Spice that stuff up. There are LOTS of Primal/Paleo blogs out there. My favorite is www.marksdailyapple.com Make sure to use lots of fat and that too will make your food taste better. :)
  • kevinot
    kevinot Posts: 5
    Options
    Unsure of what of eat and how much. I cant have eggs, gluten, corn, nuts, soy, dairy, peanut butter, beans, nigh shade veggies ... I'll look on marksdailyapple.com
    Can anyone recommend a good protein shake or snack ideas?
    Thanks for the responses!
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    eat until you aren't hungry. sounds simple because it is.
    Snacks are an interesting thing - one of those emotional eating things we have such a hard time giving up.
    Ask yourself is it really nutrition / fuel your body is asking for?
    that said - I grab a palm sized amount of almonds or macadamia nuts.
    When I'm dying for "crunch" which is purely a texture thing - I go for the pork rinds.
    There are a million cook books out there - but you might also find "whole 30 It starts with food" as a good discussion of what/why/how etc. It even offers up suggestions for what to eat.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    You do have a more restricted diet than I do, but we also have similarities. My answer: fat and spices. Fat, fat, fat. Everything is delicious soaked in healthy fat.

I have metabolic issues big time. Even though I've been keto Primal for 9 months, I tweaked a few things. More fat, less carbs. My eating plan is now extremely low carb (try for 10g day, including fibre). So, as a result all vegetables have been reduced (was already limiting nightshades) and I'm basing my diet on fat and meat. I'm starting to feel better. :)

As for protein shakes, I have used them, but I don't think they are "healthy". The best I have found are sold by Dr. Mercola. Grass fed, minimally processed. I prefer the plain. I rarely have it now, unless something mucks up my intermittent fasting, but add a scoop to my child's smoothies.
  • kevinot
    Options
    I also have metabolic issues. Its all from undereating and too much cardio *thanks to my trainer*. She screwed my hormones up but after one day of eating PIZZA and junk, my body fat was reduced! Strange! That was a bad day which I don't even give in but I couldn't function at work and really could not eat another piece of protein! Once they stated fixing my hormones I feel so much better! I have energy to work out and feel better about about myself and NO MORE CRAZY CRAVINGS! :)
    What is the "whole 30 it starts with food"?
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Its a book.
    http://whole9life.com/
    Does an excellent job of describing the "how to" and the "why to".
  • kevinot
    Options
    Thank you!
  • jenfitz
    jenfitz Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    here's a yummy smoothie idea- not nearly enough protein but good for fat loading:
    1 cup almond milk
    1 banana
    2 heaping TBLSPs coconut butter (Marantha makes a good one)
    ice

Blend and enjoy! I can only do this sometimes b/c I'm trying to cut down on carbs and the banana has loads- but it may be a good option for you to get back to enjoying food....