Puffy and water weight from new lifting sched?

Options
Thought maybe someone could help...

I have heard that a new lifting regimen could cause temporary water weight and puffiness. I feel so puffy and the scale has SHOT up! I was doing p90x and I just switched to a standard push/pull/legs split and I have been lifting heavy.

Is this normal?

Thanks!!

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Totally.

The degree to which it happens will lessen, but it should still happen if you had a good lifting workout. Damaged muscle retains water.

For many starting exercise, they also gain glucose stores, which stores with water. Put you doing P90X means you already got that part.
  • MrsCJ1
    MrsCJ1 Posts: 77
    Options
    Great! Good to know. Thank you!
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with this right now, too. Almost everybody seems to gain and feel somewhat bloated after a good workout.
    I always feel like I have a pot belly in the shower after a really good workout :laugh:
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I generally gain 3-4 lbs the day after a session with heavy weights. Repairing muscle requires lots of water to replace glycogen (processing carbs, etc.). It's completely normal.
  • erindh87
    erindh87 Posts: 94
    Options
    I always feel like I have a pot belly in the shower after a really good workout :laugh:

Haha! That's exactly how I felt last night after an intense Jillian Michael's workout. My stomach was sticking out way more than it should have been. Thankfully it's back to it's normal size today!
  • MrsCJ1
    Options
    I can rest assured! :smile: I was hoping this was normal. This must be the "pump" that I hear body builders talk about. It would probably be more enjoyable if I was a guy. :bigsmile:
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    When you are lifting, it really helps to just stay away from the scale completely. If you must weigh, then do it after two solid days of well-nourished and hydrated rest. I'm about 6 weeks in to a heavy program, and the puffiness is pretty much non-existent -although I do kinda like how 'full' my muscles look the day I lift. :smile:
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Rule #1 about lifting club: never weigh when in lifting club
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So true, due to either being sore and retaining, or morning after hard cardio workout, or the rest day being a bad junk day too, I haven't had a valid weigh-in for almost 2 months. This morning would have actually been it, if I'd thought to weigh before going to gym in morning to lift.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Rule #1 about lifting club: never weigh when in lifting club

ROFL.
  • MrsCJ1
    Options
    I like this rule! I am sticking to it!
  • Gapwedge01
    Gapwedge01 Posts: 494
    Options