Whats your favorite fat girl reference?

Options
ragslittle
ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
Hey guys I am giving a little seminar on thurs about my journey from fat to fit - I want to include a bunch of things that I "love" (not really) about being fat including how people make remarks about you like "but you have such a pretty face". What are some of your "favorites"? I am also including things like sliding into booths at restaraunts and raising the arm in movie theater seats to fit comfortably.....so if you have any great examples please share - I am trying to get the world to understand why we choose weight loss surgery and why exercise should be a must have in the preop and post op journey or any healthy lifestyle. So tell me your tales!!!! Can't wait to hear from you!!

Replies

• gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Well one thing I really 'liked' was sitting in a chair and crossing my arms. They sat on my girls and I felt that position only emphasizes my weight. Not having a lap was also a biggie for me. I couldn't handle a plate and a glass of water unless there as a table nearby. Oh and trying to get out of car that was low to the ground (like my carpool boys have) or getting up from a couch. Needed a crane to haul my *kitten* out of the seat.
    Now I have a lap, can manuveour out of the car a bit better. I also cross my arms and I don't look like I have a shelf.

Many people told me I had such a great personality and a beautiful face. I always heard that 'but'.
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    How about bathroom stalls. I used to pray no one was in the Big (Handicapped) stall because lord know's I didn't fit in one of those tiny ones (that I know just slide in and out of like it's no issue at all). And I would be so embarrassed if a handicapped person came in while I was in there.

The other thing I can think of is walking from one building to another or any treck longer than the average walk from the living room to the bed room. My company has 2 buildings and if I had to go to the other building for a meeting or to see someone in another team I would pray that I would have at least 5 minutes to regain my composure (meaning, catch my breath) before I had to talk. Now I am back and forth all the time and I look for excuses to walk down the stairs and to the other building.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    "if God had meant for me to be thin, I'd be thin"

"fat is where it is at, once you go fat, you never go back"
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I usually like cold weather, and still prefer it. I never got the chills like so many post-ops do. But I always hated having cold hands. It used to be easy to stick my fingers under my belly to warm them up -- nice and toasty. Alas, I no longer have my finger warmer.

I'm surprised at how many people don't seem to notice how much weight I've lost, but think I've gotten taller. Not at my age. It reminds me of fifteen years ago, I shaved a beard I had for at least ten years, but kept the moustache. Not one person asked why I shaved my beard, but all asked when I grew a moustache. Even my (ex) wife.
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I had a terrible fear of breaking chairs after I broke my friend's folding chair. I broke a kneeler at church (I knelt, it cracked like a gun shot!). I couldn't fit in restaurant booths, so I wouldn't go to restaurants that had only booths. And I avoided restaurant buffets since two men going in (as I was leaving) said, "I hope there's some food left."

As to how I describe my former self, I prefer "fluffy" over "fat".
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I traveled so often that a flight attendant gave me a seat belt extender to keep so that I never had to ask again, and to make sure that I always had lone.

No one ever commented on my obesity, even fewer comment on weight loss, but few recognize me. I am a new person in the crowd
  • Barbara2420
    Barbara2420 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    How wonderful you are doing this seminar.

Gee, there are so many ugly memories--

-Getting on planes and worrying about walking up the aisle, who would be sitting next to me and if I would
    fit into the seat, and of course, the seat belt dilemma---would I be able to get it around me or would I need
    to ask for an extension?
    -People who said to me, "You dress well for someone your size." or "You are too smart to be fat." What????
    ..............WHAT????
    -Being judged by the way you look, being quickly dismissed....
  • pal00ga
    pal00ga Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    A friend's boyfriend told me once that I was "The most gorgeous big girl" he ever met. Like... sure I was pretty, but I had to specifically be put in a subgroup of 'big' so that nobody would get the wrong idea that he meant I was really that attractive.
    I never really had anyone be ugly to me for my weight, but sometimes the extra attention people gave me was embarrassing. I stayed in a hostel once with other women, and the only bunk left was a top bunk. I had already broken one of the beds in another room (though these girls did not know that), so I was afraid of getting on another, particularly above someone! As soon as I walked in though, one of the ladies offered to sleep on the top bunk 'so that I wouldn't have to get up and down'. I do believe she was genuinely trying to be kind, but I ran it through my head as 'so you don't collapse on top of me.'
    In Venice, I got on a gondola with a bunch of friends, but the gondola driver *not sure what to call them* paid special attention to me and made everyone else get off before he got another gondola guy to come help him pull me up onto the deck. It was embarrassing!
    And actually on the way from getting my surgery done, my mother and I were on a plane. There were 3 seats next to each other, so we left the aisle seat empty for whoever was supposed to sit there. A lady came, glanced at us, and immediately turned back to talk to the flight attendant. She got another seat farther back and on her way back down the aisle told us "go ahead and spread out ladies. This is my seat, but I got a different seat to give you more room." My mom looked so hurt. Again, I don't think the lady was really TRYING to be rude. Honestly, we had difficulty fitting in our seats and she didn't want to ride in a plane for hours cramped. I just whispered to my mother that the next time we were on a plane, we would never hear that again!
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    my now 6 year old once told me my arms were like angel wings....
  • Jamielynn_77
    Jamielynn_77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    After I had my surgery, people would ask me how much I had lost. they would immediately react with "wow, I didn't think you were THAT fat. You were so tall, that made you look thin.' I weighed 318 pounds..vertical stripes couldn't make me look thin :bigsmile:

There was always something...'the cute, fat girl' I was 'big boned' I have 'good birthing hips' lol...really people?

I think its great you are doing this! Good luck and I hope you have a great turnout!!