FitBit or BodyMedia tweaking to use EM2WL method

Options
2»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks Haybales! I put your numbers to work and we'll see how it goes!

I particularly appreciate the NET number, because that's what i always struggle with.

If you used the Excel download version, you may have gotten error because of conversion problem.

That's been corrected so you should get another copy.
    If using the Google spreadsheet copy directly, just a visual change.

Did it make enough sense running through whichever method you wanted to use?
    Any improvements?
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    ur awesome
  • goldengirl28
    goldengirl28 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Thumpergt9
    Thumpergt9 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • dmb0114
    dmb0114 Posts: 49
    Options
    bump for later (and THANKS!)
  • heybales
    Options
    Ok, I'm hearing reports that the correction method may not work correctly for getting the device sites to start with better BMR as foundation.

For the FitBit, it may use the height to decide stride length, which affects pace, which changes your moving calorie estimates.

I couldn't find any reference to them using stride length, but it may be secret sauce so not talked about.

So that correction just may not be possible, but I'm thinking of some way to apply it anyway.

I'm betting a safe estimate would be almost everyone has 12 hrs daily of sleeping or sitting time daily. So I may make that assumption and try to work from there. Because I've seen many cases of 200-500 cal spread between Katch and Harris BMR.
    That means inflated 100-250 calories for good half the day.

For the BMF, it may end up doing the same thing. It also may have already tweaked your BMR to more accurate also.
    Do this math to calculate what it's really using. This takes about a week's worth of wearing while sleeping in avg temps.
    Find 3 hrs in the calorie burned view for overnight that shows the lowest values.
    Highlight the 3 hrs and it'll tell you total calories burned.
    Calories burned / 180 min = avg calorie/min * 1440 = adjusted BMR they are using.

Compare that to Katch BMR - they may have already adjusted very close to best BMR estimate. Someone with about 200 cal difference between Katch and Harris already had their adjusted, so no need for adjustment.
    Perhaps that's the thing to include in there, is your BMF already adjusted.

Any suggestions fire away.
  • skbarton
    skbarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    In the personal settings area, we do have an area to input our stride length for both walking and running so Fitbit can tell how many miles.

I do have a question - is there anyway to import our previous entries into the new version of your spreadsheet?
  • heybales
    Options
    In the personal settings area, we do have an area to input our stride length for both walking and running so Fitbit can tell how many miles.

I do have a question - is there anyway to import our previous entries into the new version of your spreadsheet?

Oh, this is beta only, for testing and getting feedback.

Once done, if valid I'm now wondering, I'll put in normal spreadsheet and link.

So that is great info for FitBit, so the idea should work for it then, is the stride length given a default setting based on height?
    Like, did you have to set it up, or just accepted value given?
  • skbarton
    Options
    "Once done, if valid I'm now wondering, I'll put in normal spreadsheet and link.

So that is great info for FitBit, so the idea should work for it then, is the stride length given a default setting based on height?
    Like, did you have to set it up, or just accepted value given?"

It has a default but I'm not sure if it is based on height. It is adjustable to account for actual stride length.
    Here is a copy/paste of that section of the set up (didn't have time right now to do a screen print)

Height ft. in. cm. Use feet cm
    Stride Length ft. in. cm.
    Running Stride Length ft. in.
  • heybales
    Options
    It has a default but I'm not sure if it is based on height. It is adjustable to account for actual stride length.
    Here is a copy/paste of that section of the set up (didn't have time right now to do a screen print)

Height ft. in. cm. Use feet cm
    Stride Length ft. in. cm.
    Running Stride Length ft. in.

No need, that's just fine.

I'm guessing initial default has to be based on height, but I could easily see that be adjusted on some data gained.

Now I know the FitBit site doesn't let you get in to time based blocks. Like if you wanted to see a 3 hr block for sleeping and the calorie burn (which would be BMR basically) - you can't do that.
    I think you are shown different levels of activity and time in that zone, maybe not even calories in that zone.

Is that still true?

Because BMF is looking like it uses the BMR for sleeping and sitting non-moving time, which isn't right, should be RMR for awake and sitting.

Was hoping to figure out if FitBit used slightly higher than BMR for sitting time like the RMR, or just use the BMR, which would not be good, and would throw off the idea of using non-exercise estimate of TDEE, which would be smaller than normal.

If you have means of seeing what FitBit is able to tell you, appreciate the help. I just can't tell from their screen shots on their site, which isn't many.

Thanks.
  • Lumen1505
    Lumen1505 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Some people on the fitbit user group here suggested

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/946130-fitbit-bmr-rmr-tdee?hl=Fitbit+bmr#posts-14419479

Not sure if its what you are after

Or another example I woke at 7am and my burn on fitbit was 390

390/7=55.71( per hour). 55.71x24=1337
  • heybales
    Options
    Some people on the fitbit user group here suggested

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/946130-fitbit-bmr-rmr-tdee?hl=Fitbit+bmr#posts-14419479

Not sure if its what you are after

Or another example I woke at 7am and my burn on fitbit was 390

390/7=55.71( per hour). 55.71x24=1337

Thank you, good info on what they are testing.

FitBit's FAQ actually says they use Harris BMR, as they mentioned MFP uses Mifflin. Depending on amount to lose, they can be close, they can also be off by 200-400.

I figured they do use BMR as sleep time calorie burn, thank you for confirmation.

But there really isn't a way in the data to see what might have been burned during a 1 hr sitting session, right?
    Or do some of the models with stop watch allow to make an event that you can later view calorie burn on just that time?

Hmmm.

Oh, if you want to inform that group what the fix is to get MFP to match up.

Just as the beta-spreadsheet in that link does.

Point them to that beta-spreadsheet link, I'd love any feedback on it. FitBit seems a more successful potential correction and usage, as long as you reset your stride length to correct, which should but probably wasn't done initially.
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit one model and yes you can use a stopwatch function to make what they call an activity log. You hold down the button on the fitbit for a couple of seconds. When I do an activity that fitbit does not accurately measure I use that function. So when I do a spin class or nrolfw it will show time started, duration, cal burn, distance(which for a spin bike will be off), steps, pace, floors.

Then I log my activity on mfp with the start time given and duration and I enter my HRM burn....yes I know it can be flawed but it is definitely closer than what fitbit give me. Im sure you know the rest, they "talk" to each other and override the fitbit burn.

I'll pass it on to the fitbit group for you.
  • heybales
    Options
    I have the fitbit one model and yes you can use a stopwatch function to make what they call an activity log. You hold down the button on the fitbit for a couple of seconds. When I do an activity that fitbit does not accurately measure I use that function. So when I do a spin class or nrolfw it will show time started, duration, cal burn, distance(which for a spin bike will be off), steps, pace, floors.

Then I log my activity on mfp with the start time given and duration and I enter my HRM burn....yes I know it can be flawed but it is definitely closer than what fitbit give me. Im sure you know the rest, they "talk" to each other and override the fitbit burn.

I'll pass it on to the fitbit group for you.

I just had to join and explain it. Mostly because I might be back again!
  • skbarton
    Options
    Heybales - here is a screen shot of part of my Fitbit dashboard which shows the calorie burn throught the day. You can see it in 5 minute blocks:

fitbitscreenprint2.png
  • heybales
    Options
    Heybales - here is a screen shot of part of my Fitbit dashboard which shows the calorie burn throught the day. You can see it in 5 minute blocks:

fitbitscreenprint2.png

Well, cool doggies, it can do that like BMF then.

So does BMR around 1152 sound right for you? Based on that 5 min block anyway.

And does some sitting down time at work show the same 4 calories in 5 min usually?
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Mine shows that I burn 6 calories for every 5 minutes of sleep or inactivity.

At 6 calories per minute, my BMR would be 1,728.
    At 5 calories per minute, my BMR would be 1,440.

My Roadmap spreadsheet gives me a BMR of 1,497, which is approx. 5.2 calories per 5 minutes.

To add even more info ... and maybe a bit more confusion to the conversation, there are Fitbit "burns" listed on the website for days BEFORE I owned and wore the Fitbit. These must be based on my weight at that time.
    In January, I get a burn of 1661. (1530 on the spreadsheet)
    February 1650. (1510 on the spreadsheet)
    Mid-March, just a couple days before I owned my Fitbit, it gave me a burn of 1625. (1505 according to the spreadsheet)

(Note: The spreadsheet dates to not exactly correlate with the Fitbit dates for that month.)
  • skbarton
    Options
    [

Well, cool doggies, it can do that like BMF then.

So does BMR around 1152 sound right for you? Based on that 5 min block anyway.

And does some sitting down time at work show the same 4 calories in 5 min usually?

Not sure if a BMR of 1152 is right - it isn't what the calculators would say - female, 5'1", 163#, 51 years old - I have manipulated the fitbit to show I am 100+ years old because I think my metabolism is suppressed so I"m playing with that function - trying to not get an inflated TDEE. Right now I'm upping my calorie intake 50-100 calories every 3-4 weeks trying to find my TDEE that way so I can re-adjust the FB settings. I thought, however, that a screen shot of the dashboard would help you.

During some relatively quiet periods at work yesterday, I had primarily 4 calorie blocks with a few 5 calorie blocks - may have been when I stood up to get something or stepped across my office. I also get the 4 calorie blocks when sitting quietly such as when watching TV.