Goals

jg4ever
jg4ever Posts: 85 Member
What do you set your goals at?? I set mine to 40 protein/30 fat/30 carbs. I'm new to this as of today and need help. :happy:

Thank you for your help!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Mine are 75% fat, 20% protein, 5% carbs.

I follow keto. Part of my goals are to maintain ketosis. It's similar to Atkins induction maintained for a long period. For Keto, Net Carbs should remain in the 20 g range (I tend to be around 20-30 g). Protein needs to be moderate -- excess protein can convert to glucose. And the remainder comes from fat. Base keto is usually 65-30-5 (I've also seen 60-35-5). For me, I've seen better success with the higher fat %. Plus, it tastes really good and the higher fat % satiates, and results in fewer cravings.

If I'm doing strength training I'll up my protein a bit to ensure I'm feeding my muscles.

Note that at a target of 1200 calories, your macros would break down as follows:
    120 g protein (40%)
    40 g fat (30%)
    90 g carbs (30%)

For the same calories, I'd be targeting (note - my calories are actually 1500 per day)
    60 g protein (20%)
    100 g fat (75%)
    15 g carbs (5%)

For 1500 Calories, this would have the following targets:
    Note that at a target of 1200 calories, your macros would break down as follows:
    150 g protein (40%)
    5 g fat (30%)
    112.5 g carbs (30%)

For the same 1500 calories, I'd be targeting:
    75 g protein (20%)
    125 g fat (75%)
    18.75 g carbs (5%)

I know there are many variations of low carb. I'm a strong advocate though for high fat, low carb, moderate protein. This results in better satiation. Lower protein and lower carbs won't trigger an insulin response. Insulin in turn is involved with fat storage. So my experience is that low carb is EASY when you have the adjusted macros along the lines of keto. That said, many others do higher carbs and protein and also have success with that.
  • harmonyh10
    harmonyh10 Posts: 58 Member
    I aim to keep my carbs below 60 grams, but I'm just winging it. LOL it has been working for me I'm loosing at a normal pace.
  • lstpaul
    lstpaul Posts: 2,013 Member
    I'm still trying to find a good goal balance where I can lose but still feel good. I exercise quite a bit with some weight lifting, and I didn't feel good when trying to stay at less than 50g carbs a day- dizzy, fatigued, nauseous... so I've been trying to stay closer to 100g carbs a day - I feel good again but maintaining not losing - but my calories have been pretty high - around 2000-2300. So I'm going to try closer to 1800 for cals (not subtracting exercise cals), and 20% carbs, 25% protein and 55% fat and see how it goes.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I'm still trying to find a good goal balance where I can lose but still feel good. I exercise quite a bit with some weight lifting, and I didn't feel good when trying to stay at less than 50g carbs a day- dizzy, fatigued, nauseous... so I've been trying to stay closer to 100g carbs a day - I feel good again but maintaining not losing - but my calories have been pretty high - around 2000-2300. So I'm going to try closer to 1800 for cals (not subtracting exercise cals), and 20% carbs, 25% protein and 55% fat and see how it goes.

Sounds similar to me. I lose better with lower carbs, but the trade off is in my performance. I pretty much stall out over 100g, but I'm good in the 80r range (sometimes flexing up to 100, depending on my activity level, but as long as my average for the week is around 90 I'm good) at losing and calories under 2000. Hi, I'm a nerd and have been tracking it for a while. :P

I'm focused on getting at least 100g protein (preferably more) and around 90g carbs, so my percentages fall around 50-55% fat, and 20-25% each protein and carbs.
  • JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Grats on your loss!

I just checked on my phone app and here's the breakdown for my past few weeks. Note that much of my carbohydrates are from higher fiber foods. I eat low calorie and exercise an hour daily. I always try to eat above 1200. My daily goal is 1,330, but since I get calories from exercise I sometimes go a little above that. My net carbs are usually in the range of 15 to 40 per day (I don't know the average but I'm guessing it would be around 30).

Week of April 15th
    Carbohydrates 13%
    Fat 60%
    Protein 27%

Week of April 8th
    Carbohydrates 14%
    Fat 63%
    Protein 22%

Week of April 1st
    Carbohydrates 14%
    Fat 62%
    Protein 23%

Week of March 25th
    Carbohydrates 16%
    Fat 63%
    Protein 21%

Week of March 18th
    Carbohydrates 16%
    Fat 65%
    Protein 19%

I'm always learning and adjusting.

MFP Current daily goals (but this changes a bit after I input exercise, though I do not eat back all my calories)
    Note that I set it up to be 15% Carbohydrates, 25% Protein, 60% fat and my settings are to lose 2 pounds per week (though I don't lose quite that much I do average around a 5.4 pound loss per month since December which may bump up a bit after this month since I think I've already lost more than that this month).

Calories 1,330 (sometimes above, sometimes below, always try to have at least 1200 and a deficit after exercise)
    Carbs 50 (I go by net carbs and I prefer to keep low)
    Fiber 15 (I don't care if I go over on this)
    Sugar 27 (I try to stay way below this, for the past several days the range was 5-14)
    Fat 89 (I go above this sometimes, but with exercise I'm usually not in the red)
    Protein 83 (I try to not make this too high, will act as carbs to a degree if too much)
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    I eat 1850 calories per day and my macros are set to 65% fat (143g) 25% protein (116, this seems fair after calculating my lean body mass) and 10% carbs (46g but I'm usually a touch higher on fat or protein I don't often get up to 46g carbs.
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    I have my goals set at 45% fat/30% protein/25% carbs. I did have the carbs lower to do keto, but it didn't work for me, so to me, this is more balanced. With it this way I'm usually under my carbs/sugar and have no troubles meeting my protein/fat... especially fat.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    My goals are set to 10% carbs, 25% protein and 65% fat.

At a calorie goal of 1510 per day, that puts me at a goal of 38g of carbs. I try really hard to hit that on gross carbs, but I do eat a decent amount of fiber so even if I go a bit over 38 my net usually falls somewhere between 25 and 35. I do eat back at least some exercise calories but I try to skew those extra calories towards protein and fat and keep my carbs in the same range if at all possible.