New To Low Carb

Options
So my doctor told me I need to cut carbs. I have no idea what I'm doing! My pantry is filled with white pasta (pasta, mac & cheese, ect), white potatoes, ect.

Any newbie tips are greatly appreciated!

Any cookbooks you guys can recommend?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Any cookbook by Dana Carpender is going to get you well on your way. I love her recipes.

My best tip is for you to take one day and clean out the high carb items from your cupboard and your fridge. That is your first step to lowcarbing it: get the carbs out of sight, out of mind.

Also, it's best off if you start with simple items and remember that you don't need toast, pancakes, muffins and oatmeal for breakfast. You can have eggs, bacon, steak, chicken, salad - anything you want.

Just read a lot and keep trying!
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I like to make a list of what I CAN eat so I don't get tempted by what I can't. I have this many dandy list:

The foods you can eat: straight from www.thketogenicdiet.org
    •Any meat (such as beef, venison, pork, veal, lamb) in any just about any cut or preparation, though check the carb content of processed meat products like sausages and ensure you don’t buy anything cured with sugar or honey.
    •Any poultry (chicken, turkey, quail, duck etc.). It is preferable to leave the skin on poultry to increase the fat content. Poultry must not be breaded or battered, but can otherwise be prepared any way you like, roasted, stir fried, deep fried, baked, grilled or barbecued.
    •Fish and shellfish. They should be fresh – things like imitation crab meat often contain added carbs – and if you buy canned fish make sure it hasn’t been preserved with added sugar. Again, it must not be breaded or battered.
    •Eggs. You will probably find that eggs become a staple when you are on a ketogenic diet.
    •Cheese. Most types of cheese are suitable for a ketogenic diet, though they do contain some carbs, so make sure you include these in your daily carb count to ensure you stay below your limit.
    •Vegetables. Vegetables will be the source of most of the carbs you eat, but you still need to choose the lowest carb vegetables with the best nutritional value. Green leafy vegetables are the best, such as spinach, all kinds of lettuce and cabbage, watercress, Brussels sprouts and kale. You can also eat broccoli and cauliflower, celery, cucumber, asparagus, bean sprouts, radishes and more, but must strictly limit you intake of sugary vegetables like peppers, onions and tomatoes, and avoid starchy vegetables like potatoes.
    •Nuts can be eaten in moderation as a snack.
    •Most kinds of oil, butter and cream can be used in cooking.
    •Fresh herbs and dry spices can be used for flavor.
    •Mayonnaise and oil based salad dressings are usually OK, but check the carb content on the bottle.
    •Artificial Sweeteners such as Splenda can be used in place of sugar.

Hope this helps!
  • DietJane2013
    Options
    Same sentiment here. Can't live without pasta and pizza! Have you found any good cookbooks yet? Cheryl's suggestion looks good. I checked out Dana Carpender and she has plenty of low-carb recipe books under her name.
    So my doctor told me I need to cut carbs. I have no idea what I'm doing! My pantry is filled with white pasta (pasta, mac & cheese, ect), white potatoes, ect.

Any newbie tips are greatly appreciated!

Any cookbooks you guys can recommend?

Thanks! :)
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    When I started, I used Evernote on my phone, ipad, and laptop to link to or copy any keto/LCHF foods, staples, and recipes that I found. It's been great to have that list with me at all times - no excuses. About a month or 2 in, I knew my options like the back of my hand. I also worked to understand my cravings, and weaknesses and find my keto-friendly substitutes.

I would also recommend any of Dana Carpender's books, I'm a big fan of her Fat Fast Cookbook: http://alturl.com/7hawh
  • dc729
    dc729 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Here are some of the things I use:

Bread: 40 calories and delightful by Sara Lee only has about 5 net carbs once you subtract the fiber. You buy it for a reasonable price at Walmart. Keep it in the freezer and just take a slice out as you use it.

Coffee: Use half and half instead of creamer. Some have no carbs, some have like one carb.

Pancakes: Make them with almond flour and use sugar free syrup. Recipes are online.

Cookies: Peanut butter cookies made with no flour....recipes are online also.

Tortillas: Sol de Oro High Fiber Low Carb tortillas. Only 2 net carbs and tons of fiber. Great for quesadillas since cheese has no carbs.

Candy: Reeses makes sugar free peanut butter cups. Only 1 net carb for 5!! They still have 180 calories though so you have to be carefule.

Yogurt: Fage Plain Fat Free Yogurt....only has 7 carbs and is very filling. Add sugar free coffee syrups for flavor with no added carbs or sugar.

Peanut Butter and Nutella: PB2 and PB2 Chocolate are amazing. 45 calories, around 1 gram of fat and 5 net carbs for the chocolate and 3 net carbs for the PB2.

Desserts: Sugar Free Jello (I add a Tbs. of Cream Cheese) or sugar free puddings.

Noodles: Shirataki Noodles (No or very low carb sold in grocery stores near the tofu), Dreamfields Pasta or spaghetti squash. Sometimes I even use broccoli slaw.

Hope this helps you. :)