Reassurance - cals & exercise

Options
I'm new to the EM2WL & the road map that's on the forums.

I've worked out my TDEE & BMR and I'm eating about 100cals above my BMR, at 1650 a day. This is manageable, I've gone over once but only up to 1700. My limit if I need it is 2000 cals.

I work out 3-4 times per week. I do 35-45 mins walk/run with C25K 3 times per week, sit ups/press ups/squats/lunges/small weights 2-3 times per week, usually only 20 each (cant manage more!!) Sometimes on rest cardio days & some on same day. I've been doing 30day shred on a Sunday, just for something abit different.

Is this right?

I've not lost for 2 weeks, although decreased slightly in inches. I understand being patient, but want someone with experience to say yes, that's fine etc.

I'm diagnosed with both PCOS and Hypothyroidism so weightloss is difficult anyway for me. I've lost in the past by using Cambridge Diet and 1200 cals. I've not regained all the weight but some, too much for my liking!

Replies

• aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    100 over your bmr on top of exercise is not enough. I say do a 15% cut from your tdee, you should have better results there.
  • aims_86
    aims_86 Posts: 74
    Options
    100 over your bmr on top of exercise is not enough. I say do a 15% cut from your tdee, you should have better results there.

Could I just eat back my exercise calories if my TDEE includes my workout? Or up it to 1700/1750?

Thanks for your reply :)
  • aliciab307
    Options
    If your tdee includes the right activity level for your exercise you would not eat those calories back. Idk what your tdee is so I cant say whether 1700-1750 is ok.
  • aims_86
    Options
    If your tdee includes the right activity level for your exercise you would not eat those calories back. Idk what your tdee is so I cant say whether 1700-1750 is ok.

LOL sorry - I should give these details out!!

My BMR is between 1500 and 1600, depending on the site...
    My TDEE with 3 - 5 days active is 2200 - 2300.

I took 20% off and ended up with 1650 - 1750 depending on the result of my TDEE.

x
  • aims_86
    Options
    Okay, so I used Scooby's Calculator & taking it from that...

BMR = 1611
    TDEE = 2215
    TDEE - 25% (I have 50lb to lose) = 1661
    TDEE - 20% = 1772

My TDEE %s include 1-3hrs of light exercise. I am C25K so currently jogging/walking, nothing too crazy!! Will adjust if I need to.

Do I eat my exercise cals back? If not, I can't get my head around adding it to MFP diary & then understanding my NET calories.
    x
  • aliciab307
    Options
    Okay, so I used Scooby's Calculator & taking it from that...

BMR = 1611
    TDEE = 2215
    TDEE - 25% (I have 50lb to lose) = 1661
    TDEE - 20% = 1772

My TDEE %s include 1-3hrs of light exercise. I am C25K so currently jogging/walking, nothing too crazy!! Will adjust if I need to.

Do I eat my exercise cals back? If not, I can't get my head around adding it to MFP diary & then understanding my NET calories.
    x

You would not eat calories back unless you net less than bmr. The problem with 20%+ cuts are that it often brings you below bmr once you do you daily exercise. 15% cut is preferred, but I do understand that will more weight to lose a faster loss in the beginning would be better.

ETA: are you saying that you have been eating 1600-1700 and you haven't lost any weight in a few weeks? if you have you're essentially eating a 20-25% cut and that is not working so maybe you should do a 15% cut.

Also I always preplan my meals the day before and exercise in the evening times. So I already know my intake and my exercise does not matter as long as I'm netting above my rmr. If you log as the day goes just focus on the gross cal intake and when you exercise look at the net and at the end of the day make sure you're above bmr.
  • aims_86
    Options
    Thank you so much :) well done on your losses
    X
  • aliciab307
    Options
    you're welcome. I just added to my post just in case you didn't see it. Hope this helps