Remind me!!!!******venting*********

Options
conniedj
conniedj Posts: 470 Member
Hey all! *****Big ranting vent***********

I just posted yesterday for the first time in over a year. Glad I found this group--as the regular forum is full of nay-sayers that think " a little bit of diet coke everyday isn't going to hurt me". rrrrrr. Tell that to my friend who passed away from a rare stomach cancer at the age of 42 after 20+ years of drinking several diet cokes a day. ~Not that there is any connection between the consumption and the disease (please note sarcastic inflection).....

If your child wanted to eat a little rat poison, would you let them? No! But our own FDA says that putting known carcinogens into are food is "safe". This is something I say to people almost everyday. A little bit of poison is still poison! Why would you put it into your body?

I stopped even coming to FP for about a year because the "community" thinks that there isn't a connection between the quality of food you put into your body, and what your health and fitness levels are! Crazy, right?

I made the mistake of posting on a forum.....which is what brought all of this on. But I am not judging, since I just came into this awareness myself a few years ago....

Anyone care to talk me down?

Replies

• Marga40
    Marga40 Posts: 25
    Options
    I hear ya! I read the thread you were referencing, and I have to say that you handled yourself admirably. I never post on the main forums because it can get kind of snarky over there. Especially posting about clean eating in the fitness forum! I sometimes see reasonable discussion of clean eating on the nutrition forum, but there will always be someone piping in with full on denial of toxins, or a defense of GMOs as being "a faster form of natural selection." (I read that one earlier today). It is very frustrating!!

Honestly, I think most people don't like to have their behaviors challenged, and unless someone asks for specific advice on cleaning up their diet, they're unlikely to be swayed by actual information. That's not to say you shouldn't put it out there, but only with the full knowledge that there will be tons of faulty logic thrown right back at you, often angrily. :grumble:

I almost found myself wanting to pipe in about pesticides and endocrine disrupters and soy, but I don't have the constitution to brush off the haters. My older sister has thyroid cancer, and I tend to take those discussions too personally. That's why we have this group, and our friends lists.....

I'm sure you're calmed down by now, but here's a reminder for the healing power of a nice deep breath!
  • conniedj
    Options
    You know, I was justing reminding myself that the snarkiness is why I forsook FP a year ago! And I will not make that same mistake again....what a waste of energy! And, yes, I did take a deep breath and then laughed at myself! But thanks for the gentle reminder!

BTW...Marga40, congratulations on quitting smoking!!! That is major!
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    PMS is getting to me this weekend, so haven't been eating clean. I feel like crap too. Normally, I eat pretty clean. I really believe in eating good food and it's helped me lose weight. When people want to know how I've done it I usually say "exercise." I do believe it is the main reason, but changing my food intact from sugary fatty things to healthy choice really helped too. People don't want to know that. They can barely get past the exercise comment. Everyone wants the magic pill or magic diet. Just doing what my Dr. told me to do 30 years ago is what helped me. I too, didn't listen for many years. I'm a convert now. I love Tosca Reno's books and how she writes down what we should already know.
  • antitek
    antitek Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am on board with the diet coke. I know a few people and also know of others who've hit the diet coke hard and ended up with cancer. Kind of odd to have so many with the same cause of death.
  • conniedj
    Options
    Kingscrown--You hit the nail on the head! We are a "take a pill" society. Your head aches? Take a pill! heartburn? take a pill! Can't get it up? take a pill! want to lose weight? Take a pill! It is very interesting to me how "programmed" we are as a society. It's also interesting to me that those who finally lift their heads up out of the proverbial sand....and have the dawning realization that it shouldn't be this way.....why don't we prevent the disease so we don't have to race for the cure that isn't coming? And it is most ironic to me that I come to FP--and people who are into their bodies don't want to hear about food! And all of a sudden common sense of eating healthy foods that actually feed your body becomes a whole seperate conspiracy theory. Which just goes to show you how incredibly well the marketing dollars of Big Ag, Big Pharma are working!

I am surrounded by many many people who are on the same page as me....and I count myself blessed for that! I belong to a big no-gmo movement on FB, am involved in a state initiative as well. I am also currently in development on a TV show about "fixing food". It's an amazing journey. But it is very sobering to come to the forums and see the current thinking on these things!

So....I appreciate a women who are fit and conscious of food and how the two are actually intricately and irrevocably intertwined....nice alliteration, eh? : )
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Girl there are plenty people who agree with you!!!! Maybe last time they were afraid to back you up or just didn't peruse the forums.
  • luticiaf
    luticiaf Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's full of daggers in there!
  • kingscrown
    Options
    I would really enjoy talking eating clean with people who want to do and get it. Glad I found this group.
  • jannemarie74
    jannemarie74 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    hi conniedj, i first heard of clean eating through someone else's curiosity on one of the forums on fp. after a week or two of wondering what it was really all about, i googled it and have started to replace the food i have in the house with clean eating items. i am following the principal of eating 5 - 6 times a day and am enjoying it a lot!!! i think some of my family think i'm strange, but others seem to have just accepted that it's what i do now and have asked a few questions. i explained to my parents that it's similar to a world war two eating regime without the deprivation lol!
  • conniedj
    Options
    Hi Jannemarie! lol on the WWII reference for clean eating. I always tell people who ask me--start with just one item that you really want to change. and then once you've done that, make the next change, and so on. Once you change your pantry, move on to your skin care, and change as you need to. Then cleaning/laundry. I think the thing that I like best about the process is understanding that as a consumer I was part of the problem. But if that is true--then the reverse is also true! Now I am a part of the solution!

I am fortunate that my husband has been on board for everything. Which switched to raw dairy in February. That took the most persuasion because my husband did his research on consuming raw milk. If you google it, of course all of the big dairy scare marketing comes up. What finally convinced him was me asking him "how many people do you think have died from drinking raw milk" He guessed a number in the 100's. The answer is ZERO. No one has ever died--and there are under 100 cases of food poisoning/year. When you compare that with the number of people who die from food born illness annually....it's a small fraction of the population!

But here I go again, preaching to the choir!! : ) I love that working out worked to help you change your body! And that in getting fit, you just wanted to eat more healthy. I don't diet either. In fact I don't like to even track calories for a long period of time. But I have been doing a fast from wheat and sugar for our upcoming annual church convention (praying/fasting), so thought this would be the ideal time to see if eliminating these items effect my body. I also cut myself off from eating after 7pm, as that is the time of night I tend to snack. I don't own a scale, but weigh myself every so often at the YMCA, after i swim. Tomorrow I will see if I had a decrease in pounds!

I would love to hear what everyone is doing for workouts? I am so happy to finally have good weather ( Michigan)! But I am going to do a triathlon again this june, so have been training, and crosstraining for a while now. I have to try running--which I dislike. And biking--which I love! Anyone??
  • kingscrown
    Options
    As for exercise I go to the gym and work with a trainer. I do take some of the free classes offered too. Boot Camp and Group Strength Training being the classes that closely resemble a workout with a trainer. I've had my trainer write work outs down for me as i don't remember them well. So, I have a clipboard of workouts that I do on my own when i don't feel like doing a class.

My workouts are a combo of strength training and cardio. I've gotten so muscular over the past year. Can't wait until I'm down to my goal weight and it's more obvious how toned I am.

Great job Conniedj for training for another triathlon. I'm not quite up to doing that just yet. Next month I'll do a 5K and an obstacle course. Not sure running is my thing. I'm looking into taking a sculling class or basic rowing as they like to put it for those of us (me) that don't know what it's called.
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options

I would love to hear what everyone is doing for workouts? I am so happy to finally have good weather ( Michigan)! But I am going to do a triathlon again this june, so have been training, and crosstraining for a while now. I have to try running--which I dislike. And biking--which I love! Anyone??

I am weight training twice a week. It is barbell lifting along the lines of StrongLifts 5x5 and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength." I am also cycling once or twice a week and running once or twice a week. I have completed a handful of triathlon events but gave it up because of my poor swimming skills. And I wasn't too happy about the pool chlorine odor that would leach out of my skin when I would shower. Even the second time I showered after a swim.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I used to drink tons of Diet Coke. I haven't had one in almost 8 weeks now. :) I don't feel worse for it, and now I drink tons of water and some green tea. I'll have the occasional black tea (iced and unsweetened) or herbal tea, but that's it. I guess I look at it this way: if other people want to drink Diet Coke or eat highly processed foods, that's their choice, and I'm not going to be judgmental or critical of their choice (and I'm not saying that anyone else here is). The best thing to do, IMO, is to lead by example.

My family doesn't eat 100% clean. However, I'm slowly working us in that direction. For example, this week we had the ginger lime crunchy salmon from one of the Eat Clean Cookbooks. It was incredibly delicious. Like "OMG, why didn't we make this before or make more of this" delicious. LOL I've already told everyone I know how great it was and recommended the cookbook. Last night we had homemade turkey burgers on whole grain buns and sweet potato "fries" - again, super yummy. Tonight is leftovers and tomorrow is another Tosca Reno recipe (slow cooker chicken cassoulet). Every tasty recipe we incorporate is another clean thing that my family can enjoy.

I am setting an example for my kids by giving up soda (they don't get any anyway). I am showing them that eating good, whole foods (like a banana for a snack instead of goldfish) is a great choice for their growing bodies. I am also showing them that a commitment to exercise makes you healthier and happier (I am never a better mother than when I am regularly exercising - less irritability, more energy and happier in general).

It's the same thing on the forums here. Live well, eat well and show the results that you have - other people will naturally want to get the same results. If they don't or if they've found something that works for them, well good for them.

And FWIW, I would never be with you on the raw milk thing. LOL I *hate* the taste of it. It's probably because I grew up on a dairy farm and always had raw milk growing up and developed an aversion to it. Now, I drink almond/coconut milk and am much happier. :)

For workouts, I am doing a boot camp style workout at my local Zumba gym. I go 4 x a week at 5:45 in the morning, including Saturdays, which is really a challenge! It is a 45 minute workout that does everything from strength training to cardio. It is a very fast-paced 45 minutes. I also go to 2-3 Zumba classes per week. The other thing I have done is started taking the stairs at work, at least some of the time. I work on the 5th floor, so there are LOTS of stairs. I've lost 21.2 pounds in 7 weeks, so it's working.