My Lipids after 16 months of Bacon, Eggs & Ribeye

Options
MikeFlyMike
MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
As background, I got my blood work done 4/2012 after having been paleo for 3 months (I don't have a pre-primal baseline-but I know they weren't great - I am not a young pup, and have significant family history of diabetes, multiple cancers, cardiac disease, heart attacks at early age, COPD bla bla bla - I got crappy genes basically)

After being paleo for 16 months, I did a retest. I eat an insane amount of bacon, eggs, red meat - enough that I am constantly mocked for killing myself by those who know better than me.

Last year, my numbers were ALL good and I was quite proud of them. They got even better.

HDL 76 was 63 : <40 poor, 50 acceptable, >60 best/protective (ROCKSTAR)
LDL (direct) 95 was 118 (calculated) : <100 lowest risk
Triglycerides 44 was 80 : <150 Desirable (effing ROCKSTAR)
Total 180 was 197 : <200 Desirable (GREAT although total can be meaningless kinda)
LP(a) [measures small dense LDL - the oxidizing ones, more important the actual LDL] 6 (didn't measure in 2012) - lowest risk is under 20.

Ratios
Trig/HDL .58 was 1.27 (Unbelievably low): 2 or below is "desirable" with 4 being high. strongest predictor of heart attack.
TTL/HDL 2.37 was 3.12 (Unbelievably low): Ideal <=5
LDL/HDL 1.25 was 1.87 (UNBELIEVABLY LOW): Ideal <=4.3 7-11 considered moderate

Inflammation C-Reactive Protein: .66 was 1.23 <1 lowest risk for cardiovascular (good sign of low inflammation)

Vitamin D 52 was 51: Considered impressive. Clearly my supplementation remained the same.
Fasting glucose A1c 5.1 was 5.3 : 3.9-5.5 normal

Across the boards every number got a bunch better (except Vit D and A1c which remained excellent).
My liver, kidney functions, metabolites, bone measures are all WELL within the green but I won't bother you with those numbers.

Not that I needed vindicated, but seeing it get even better after a year does give me even more confidence.

Paleo, is not a diet for me - it is how I fuel my body. I did originally lose weight, but have remained at 10% bf for over a year.
I literally feel bulletproof. Go Paleo!

Replies

• MikeFlyMike
    Options
    Oh, and I did my retest with WellnessFx.com (Tim Ferriss company)
    If you aren't able to get this testing covered by insurance I really like them.
    This code ( get.wellnessfx.com/cLMw ) I believe gives you a free basic test and allows you to add on if you choose.
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You superstar! Those numbers are fantastic, well done.
    I need to refer everyone back to this post who ever comments on how this way of life is unhealthy.
    You've proved them all wrong, rock on!!
  • njdoll
    njdoll Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Those numbers are damn beautiful! Way to go Mike!
    Grokstar indeed!
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Absolutely wonderful!
  • wibamagirl
    wibamagirl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting,I'm on my third month and this gives me hope that I too and avoid the big three in my family.Heart disease,cancer,and diabetes.I'm a newbie and been watching and learning from you all for about three months now.Slowly learning and staying the course.Thank you for being here.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Awesome Mike, I knew your numbers would be great......
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Those are some sexy numbers!!!!! Out of curiosity do you have dairy at all?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. My proof is how I feel. Even my family notices the difference in me like night and day, which makes them curious about what I'm doing but they don't quite believe that they too can heal their ailments with diet, nor are they willing to "give up" any foods they love. I'm happy that they are at least curious though. lol

At age 39, I was almost dead (sure, I might have lingered in a zombie-like state for another 40 years...) and now at age 40 I feel better than I did at age 20. Just 9 months and my life is completely different. The weight loss has slowed, but there's no finish line. I'm keto primal for life.

I kinda wish I had all the tests before embarking on my new life, but for me, it wasn't possible to do that. I don't need the reassurance of the tests but I suppose it would help convince others that what I'm doing is not only not dangerous, but ideal.
  • MikeFlyMike
    Options
    Aki.. exactly right.

Vibes.. yes I do have some dairy. I do butter for sure. I also do ice cream and cheese on occasion. I consider them safe cheats as a treat. Worth noting is that before eating SAD, I was horribly allergic to dairy and would get violently ill if o had the slightest amount.
  • wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!! Thanks for sharing!!
  • MrsAbles
    MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    So proud of you, Mike. You ARE the MAN!! Keep inspiring us!
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    That is great!!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I did my retest with WellnessFx.com (Tim Ferriss company)
    If you aren't able to get this testing covered by insurance I really like them.
    This code ( get.wellnessfx.com/cLMw ) I believe gives you a free basic test and allows you to add on if you choose.

Great job Mike, and thanks for the link! I haven't had mine re-checked, so I've been curious! :drinker:
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Great numbers!!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Makes me feel great about all the eggs I eat :) Well done!
  • bethanylaugh
    Options
    bumping for my own testing purposes... and you ARE an effing rockstar!!!
  • jenfitz
    jenfitz Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Rockstar for sure! I'm on my third month of paleo- thinking it would be a good time to get tests done for comparison after a year....
    Thanks for posting!
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I already knew you were a rock star, Mike. But good to see some documentation on that. Congrats!!!!:drinker:
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    amazing!!

do you supplement with omega 3's? eat small servings of nuts? eat only grassfed meats?