Describing body type on dating sites?

Options

Replies

• UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I wonder if the misapprehension of 'curvy' holds in the UK as well as the US. I'm putting together a proile at the moment, and I've put down 'curvy' in the tick-box, then clarified in the 'describe yourself' section that we're talking 50's pin-up curves, not Beyonce. Maybe I should be clarifying the other side of things as well - I'm not Dawn French, either! At 5'8" and US 12-14, well-proportioned, but with about 20-30lbs to go to my ideal shape, I guesstimate, and a very solid frame, I wouldn't say I'm 'average' - at least not for London. 'A few extra pounds' sounds worse than 'curvy' does, to me, but it seems people are suggesting that curvy implies a lot heavier...

50's pinup curves & Beyonce are the same to me lol, so not sure what you mean? I think curvy *actually* means a small waist & big hips/booty - so an hourglass or pear shape (J. Lo, Beyonce, Halle Berry, etc are all curvy). But for some reason a lot of women who are like plus size/100lbs overweight call themselves curvy, so the meaning has gotten distorted.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I wonder if the misapprehension of 'curvy' holds in the UK as well as the US. I'm putting together a proile at the moment, and I've put down 'curvy' in the tick-box, then clarified in the 'describe yourself' section that we're talking 50's pin-up curves, not Beyonce. Maybe I should be clarifying the other side of things as well - I'm not Dawn French, either! At 5'8" and US 12-14, well-proportioned, but with about 20-30lbs to go to my ideal shape, I guesstimate, and a very solid frame, I wouldn't say I'm 'average' - at least not for London. 'A few extra pounds' sounds worse than 'curvy' does, to me, but it seems people are suggesting that curvy implies a lot heavier...

50's pinup curves & Beyonce are the same to me lol, so not sure what you mean? I think curvy *actually* means a small waist & big hips/booty - so an hourglass or pear shape (J. Lo, Beyonce, Halle Berry, etc are all curvy). But for some reason a lot of women who are like plus size/100lbs overweight call themselves curvy, so the meaning has gotten distorted.

I was differentiating between the very-toned look that Beyonce et al have, and the softer curves of the 50's starlets.
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If I see a profile with only shots of a woman's face and she describes herself as "curvy" or "a few extra pounds"... iI believe it means she's significantly overweight. Full body shots, please.

This. I have a male friend who is adamant that he won't date anyone without a full body shot because he's felt mislead so many times. I don't think the label matters that much as long as your pictures are honest. I always left body type blank, but had multiple images.

I think the average/curvy/a few extra is a topic that goes on forever because there isn't really an answer. Decent pictures can usually clear up semantic problems for those words, I think.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    If I see a profile with only shots of a woman's face and she describes herself as "curvy" or "a few extra pounds"... iI believe it means she's significantly overweight. Full body shots, please.

This. I have a male friend who is adamant that he won't date anyone without a full body shot because he's felt mislead so many times. I don't think the label matters that much as long as your pictures are honest. I always left body type blank, but had multiple images.

I think the average/curvy/a few extra is a topic that goes on forever because there isn't really an answer. Decent pictures can usually clear up semantic problems for those words, I think.

Also use a date stamp on your pictures if possible.... I've met up with guys who posted pictures from 5-10 years ago that definitely looked a lot different. If I don't have a date stamp on the picture, I'll put the date below it.
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options

To be fair, one can be curvy and obese. If you're talking waist to hip measurements, I have a 14" difference between my waist and hips... I'd call that curvy. However, that doesn't mean I put that on my profile...
  • UrbanLotus
    Options
    To be fair, one can be curvy and obese. If you're talking waist to hip measurements, I have a 14" difference between my waist and hips... I'd call that curvy. However, that doesn't mean I put that on my profile...

Yeah they definitely can - curvy is a shape, not a weight. One can be overweight and not curvy, or curvy and not overweight.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    This is my perception of what they mean (take it for what it's worth).

I consider average to be somewhere between underweight and overweight (going by body fat %, BMI, etc)
    Athletic and toned is if you can see abs.
    Curvy would be having above average breasts and hips
    Full figured I consider about the same as curvy, but more "plus size".
    A few extra lbs would be slightly overweight, but without the noticeable breasts and hips
    Heavyset and big and beautiful mean about the same thing to me.
    Stocky would probably be close to a few extra lbs, but shorter, and more upper body weight.
    Slender would be underweight or towards the low end of a healthy weight.

But on dating sites most people cheat, so like Zack said that's why it's important to have a couple good pictures. If somebody says they are average but don't include any full body pics I will assume they are a bit larger than what I perceive to be average.
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    Yes, one can indeed be "curvy" and obese, but it's the ratio of waist to hips that defines curvy, not just the difference (to me at least)...

For example: 24" waist/36" hips vs 34" waist/46" hips:

Both have a 12" difference, but example one has a much lower ratio (0.66 vs 0.74). Visually, the difference is significant, as well. Using "curvy" to describe both situations is common, and might be where the confusion comes from.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options

agreed just include full body shots probably with time stamps or description. just an FYI, I personally will get turned off by guys who are looking for ONLY slender/ athletic and toned. I mean you like what u like, but if u are looking for Barbie, it aint me.
    i'm latina, I love t eat and I love my curves. even if he tried to contact me I would probably ignore them because I assume they are superficial.
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    agreed just include full body shots probably with time stamps or description. just an FYI, I personally will get turned off by guys who are looking for ONLY slender/ athletic and toned. I mean you like what u like, but if u are looking for Barbie, it aint me.
    i'm latina, I love t eat and I love my curves. even if he tried to contact me I would probably ignore them because I assume they are superficial.

I agree with your sentiments. The place where this annoys me is where the use of this check box is dishonest, and there is a "surprise" on the date. Personally, I "like what I like" as you said, and I - like many men - consider a wide range of body proportions as attractive - and even then, body type is just one category of overall attraction. ( as is "honesty", as shown by being accurate in stating your age, posting reasonably recent pictures, and an honest self assessment of one's body type)
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options

I agree with your sentiments. The place where this annoys me is where the use of this check box is dishonest, and there is a "surprise" on the date. Personally, I "like what I like" as you said, and I - like many men - consider a wide range of body proportions as attractive - and even then, body type is just one category of overall attraction. ( as is "honesty", as shown by being accurate in stating your age, posting reasonably recent pictures, and an honest self assessment of one's body type)

oh I agree. I have never really been disappointed in the people I met because they didn't lie about their appearance BUT I have had someone select the wrong body type. it may just be a matter of how he viewed himself, because really all the "weight categories" don't come with a definition so its open to interpretation.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options

I consider average to be somewhere between underweight and overweight (going by body fat %, BMI, etc)
    A few extra lbs would be slightly overweight, but without the noticeable breasts and hips
    Stocky would probably be close to a few extra lbs, but shorter, and more upper body weight.

But on dating sites most people cheat, so like Zack said that's why it's important to have a couple good pictures. If somebody says they are average but don't include any full body pics I will assume they are a bit larger than what I perceive to be average.

I like these descriptions.... although, underweight for slender? I hadn't thought about that. I also hadn't realized the thoughts on average. When I was on forced rest for my knee, I lost a lot of my muscle. So, I put either slender or average. Now that I'm working out again, it's athletic. I go back and forth as to whether it should be athletic or slender because athletic seems a little more masculine than slender.

I really don't care what a guy puts as his description as long as there are pictures (preferably full body). But, when he lies about obvious things (like height) that bothers me.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    A few extra pounds. (where I would rate myself as well)
  • UrbanLotus
    Options

Thank you for breaking it down! I agree with these, though I don't feel like I fall into any of these categories LOL. Can they make "boobalicious" a category?
  • Lizlicious2187
    Lizlicious2187 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I used to wonder what I should put when I joined a site as well. I wanted to put athletic because I play soccer and run a good 15 miles a week, but I'm not ripped or anything and still a size 8/10. Now I just go with average, and like others have said I just put full body pictures/face pictures that are no older than a month old. As long as you're not doing the whole myspace angle shots I wouldn't worry too much. I just got back on okcupid after a long hiatus..we'll see how it goes..haha. Good luck! :drinker:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I put "all used up" and a photo of myself in sports bra and booty shorts flexing and tell them to make their own call since everyone is different and attracted to different things. I'd rather they made a call on my body than on the word i use to describe my body.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    when i was on dating sites, i had the same trouble! not on anymore because i'm tired of the drama there.

i'm a 6/8...but thought if put athletic/toned, guys would think i'm super tiny or rock solid. i can't put slender because i'm not slender. average implies about a size 12, which i'm not. curvy felt the most accurate, but i think a lot of guys equate curvy with "BBW" types. everyone is obviously beautiful in their own way, but i hate having to click a box. i usually put curvy or average or athletic, depending on how i was feeling when filling the profile out...
  • Daisy_Cutter_
    Daisy_Cutter_ Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Ok... I need input on what I am. I have large boobs but no real hips. I'm kind of athletic in my legs and arms but not midsection. Average? Been toying with starting another online account when my project buttons up. What do you guys think?
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Ok... I need input on what I am. I have large boobs but no real hips. I'm kind of athletic in my legs and arms but not midsection. Average? Been toying with starting another online account when my project buttons up. What do you guys think?

I've always thought of you as athletic.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options

I've always thought of you as athletic.

yeah I think you can put athletic.