Tell me your horsey NSVs!

Options

Replies

• Michelleszoo68
    Michelleszoo68 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    wow Buckeyhorsemom, thats great, what yoga did you do????? I am not able to get on my horse without using a mounting block. I would use one anyway as it is better for the horses back on a regular basis but I really worry in case of something happening out on the trail how would I get back on?

Part of the reason I started this journey was to be able to do more with my horses.

Thanks for the encouragement! I still use a mounting block when I can, but it's just great to know that I can get on without one now! and it just keeps getting better. On Sunday I had my left foot in the stirrup and my right foot flat on the ground and I was balanced and comfortable (and Nacho even uncharacteristically stood there patiently and let me soak up the experience)! I actually went up and down 3 times just to make sure it wasn't a fluke! It was such a cool feeling! and to think it's only going to keep getting easier--now that's motivation!
    In answer to your question about what Yoga I do, I've been rotating DVD's of Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown and Rodney Yee's Power Flexibility and Strength videos. R.Y.'s are much more "beginner" geared and not near as intense as J.M.'s, but still a great 30 minute workout. J.M.'s meltdown is a killer to get through (only 30 minutes!)--and it was actually my first experience with Yoga. I got this DVD 2 years ago and I about died the first time I did it. But I did it and I kept doing it, and mixed in other DVD's and live classes over the past couple of years. Even now, Meltdown is still a challenge, but wow, every time I finish I feel like I can do *anything*! Tonight I start a live class with a new instructor and I can't wait to try something different. I'm sure I'm going to locate new muscles I didn't know I had. :)
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Riding lesson today. Jack was acting up, so the instuctor got on for 5 minutes (she mounted from the ground and rode him beautifully, unlike me, I might add.) But she complained about feeling pinched in my saddle...
  • Okapi42
    Options
    Today's horsey NSV: When I bought my body protector in December, I had to go with the large one because of my chest size, but the velcro at the waist barely covered the red bits. Now, the two straps almost meet in the middle - there's about an inch left between them.

I've gotten used to wearing a body protector now and wouldn't ride without one - so when I get to my GW, I think I'll treat myself to one of the Airowear Outlyne ones or similar, because they're cut to fit around breasts...
  • suzetteducrepe
    suzetteducrepe Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Non Scale Victory here as well! I ride this odd German saddle, the Trekker Flexible, which is treeless and has lots of adjustable options. Yesterday, I moved the cantle closer to the pommel, in other words made the seat an inch smaller.

Rode it today for a quick trial of the new seat size, and I love it! I don't feel like I'm swimming in the seat, and I'm not behind when my pony picks up speed. I even popped a few jumps (aka fallen logs) and didn't feel the need to grab for mane or pommel. It's like, it just fits really great now!

I don't know the exact seat size, but the manufacturer says max seat size is 18 inches, which is where I'd left it when I got it. Could it be possible that my but sits well in a 17 inch saddle? I may go to the consignment shop just to find out what seat I'm riding now. I know one thing with confidence, it's an inch smaller than it was last summer!
  • Okapi42
    Options
    Hey, that's a great one! Congrats!
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I have a couple -

I am actually getting stronger again - able to post the trot and really school my horse for more than 10 minutes.

I had to get off my horse on the trail the other day and ground mounted with no rock or anything. Lonesome is 16.1. I haven't been able to ground mount in a long time. I use the mounting block anyway just because I am a big girl and he is an old man but it was nice to be ABLE to get back on without hunting for a low spot.

I am finding my confidence in the saddle again. I was a good rider at one point but my brain and body forgot that I was a good rider. Both my brain and my body are coming together again and I am realizing that although I still have 45 lbs to lose to get to where I was when I was really confident, I am still a good rider, just a out of shape and a little rusty. My newly discovered confidence has made me enter in two shows coming up in May and June and my first western dressage (totally new to me) show coming up in August.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    It's happened so gradually that I almost haven't noticed, but I'm also able to ride at the posting trot for lots longer than I could when I first got back to riding about 6 months ago. I had NO core strength and NO stamina--cleaning paddocks, trundling the muck cart to the pile and back (the downhill is almost as hard as the uphill), walking all over, and riding has made all the difference.
  • Chrysy87
    Chrysy87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Mine is more of a NSV for my horse. She has been quite chunky all winter until the past month or so. My barn manager put all the pasture horses on a diet beginning of April and oh what a difference!

Lily has a very unbalanced canter...racy and unable to hold herself up through her corners. Well the last time I rode her we did a nice, slow, calm 20m circle at a canter! No racing, I wasn't having to hold support her she was doing it all on her own! Go Go Lilybear!
  • Okapi42
    Options
    It's happened so gradually that I almost haven't noticed, but I'm also able to ride at the posting trot for lots longer than I could when I first got back to riding about 6 months ago. I had NO core strength and NO stamina--cleaning paddocks, trundling the muck cart to the pile and back (the downhill is almost as hard as the uphill), walking all over, and riding has made all the difference.

Yes, I totally don't get those people who claim it's not a "real" sport because all you do is sit there. It's good for both cardio and strength!
    Well the last time I rode her we did a nice, slow, calm 20m circle at a canter! No racing, I wasn't having to hold support her she was doing it all on her own! Go Go Lilybear!

Go Lily, but also go you! She didn't get there by herself, and you stuck with her even though she was difficult. Well done.
  • Okapi42
    Options
    Ladies: check your stirrups! I had to adjust mine today - the barn owner pointed out that they weren't right anymore because my thighs are now smaller...
  • TraceyG1971
    TraceyG1971 Posts: 123
    Options
    Ladies: check your stirrups! I had to adjust mine today - the barn owner pointed out that they weren't right anymore because my thighs are now smaller...

Woohoo!!! :)
  • Okapi42
    Options
    I brought my body protector home with me today so I can modify it before the next time I go ride. I've shrunk since I bought it, so it now sits much lower, and the back is bumping on the cantle, preventing me from sitting up straight. I need to take some of the foam off the bottom.

(I've been talking to a woman who does this officially in a tack shop, and she says all she does is cut off a small amount, then sew the cover smaller. Can be done at home if you don't take off too much. And since I plan to pass it on to my short-torsoed mother anyway, it won't go to waste after it's been modified.)
  • Okapi42
    Options
    ...aaaand today my favourite jodhpurs were chafing terribly, because they're now all loose and wrinkly. Time to go find a new pair, I suppose...
  • norrishbex
    norrishbex Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have one!!!

I have always had a problem with my lower leg flipping backwards when I jump. Last night I had my first jumping lesson in almost 2 years, and my lower leg was really still! So much so that even my coach commented on it!

I'm sure that its because of the strength training I have been doing, along with the hours of 2 point, but there is a massive difference in my leg position and in a good way! I'm still on cloud 9 this morning.

So so so happy!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to everyone on their NSVs!
  • tlvasa
    tlvasa Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    1) My half chaps zip easily
    2) My breeches aren't stretched to the max
    3) I don't mind mounting from the ground
    4) I'm lighter in the saddle - both physically & how I carry myself
  • luvriden
    luvriden Posts: 52
    Options
    Too awesome, I didn't know about this group until my friend Tammy replied to it and I got a copy because we are friends, so of course, I HAD to join this group :-)

I have so many horsey NSV's now that I have lost weight! 1st, is I got a new green broke young horse! I would never have done that 6 months ago, because I thought I was OLD and hurt all the time. Bam, in better shape, lost weight, got a lot more confidence in my riding so here I am riding a young green horse again :-)
    2. Easier to get in the saddle and ride long rides, my knees and feet don't hurt.
    3. When I horse camp, I sleep in the back of my Excursion and now I want to camp more because I can sleep comfortably again on a makeshift bed.
    4. Did 2 CTR's and both my horse and I had energy to spare!

I am so excited and happy to be a "young" 61 y/o again!
  • MarshaMole
    MarshaMole Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    New to the group..I have a 15.1 quarter horse type mare named Lady kind of buckskin lol but she changes colors all the time.

My NSV is I caught her up in the field and there was a telephone pole laying over in the field I hopped up on it tied the lead rope into reins and just hopped onto her back onto my tummy and swung my leg over.. could not believe it was that easy :laugh: it has been 20 years since I have not had to find a high rock or a fence to get on a horse ..my goal is to try get on from the ground next =) that might be a tough one tho lol
  • Okapi42
    Options
    Excellent, Marsha! I don't think I've ever mounted from the ground bareback...

Today's NSV: all my jodhpurs were getting too baggy (ouch, chafing!) so I ordered a new pair online, nice denim breeches with red knee patches. It said they came up small and to order a size up, so I took the 30" waist ones. They arrived today, and they're tiny - I measured, and the actual waist size is 26".

And yet, I'm wearing them. They're not comfortable yet, and I've got a bit of the dreaded muffin top going on, but I can pull them up over my unfortunately large thighs, and close them, and sit down in them, and everything! Hopefully, in a few weeks, I'll be taking them for a ride...
  • HealthierFoodie
    HealthierFoodie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of recent NSV's:

- Had to buy new breeches as the old ones were just about falling off!

- Had a really good lesson yesterday - legs quiet, core tight, hands still - my trainer didn't know what to do with me!
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Several recent NSVs that have made me really happy--

I'm wearing the size 28 breeches that originally belonged to my teenaged daughter.
    I've regained enough core strength and balance to trail ride with my bareback pad or English saddle, instead of only using my very secure Bob Marshall treeless endurance.
    Cantered yesterday with the bareback pad on my reliable guy--possibly for the first time ever, or in a VERY long time.