Just starting out - gym deficiency!

Options
jolenelf
jolenelf Posts: 27 Member
Trying to make a solid attempt at following this program. Unfortunately I cannot locate a decent step in my gym's weight area. There is one step, but it only has one riser which makes it about 3 inches off the ground. Not high enough for step ups, or I fear what comes in later stages of the NROLFW program. When I asked for another set of risers for the step (they are locked in the group fitness area) I was told I could not use anymore because people jump off of the higher steps and that is dangerous. WHAT???? (I have taken step class, If two risers for lifting is dangerous, I am shocked they allow a step class!). Anyone have any suggestions? I am stuck at this gym because it is the only one within an hour of my house that offers child care. I think the regular weight benches are a bit too high for me to attempt to use for this purpose.

Replies

• semira6
    semira6 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    At the gyms I go to there are these cube shaped steps with felt type material on top - that's what I use. They're usually found in the personal training area.

Hope that helps!
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    you could use a bench, which is a pretty high 'step' to start out with but just use little to no weight at first.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Use a bench -- I do 90% of the time, even though my gym has steps with lots of risers available. The bench is good for step-ups and Bulgarian Split Squats. The step with one riser will be good for the lunges with rear foot elevated.

I'm lucky -- my gym doesn't seem too worried about the lifters in the free weights area that do crazy *kitten* with the equipment. There are some strange workout routines out there! :-)
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Oh, sounds exactly like what happened to me - the available step was too low and the bench seemed intimidating. Can one do step ups on a stair case, skipping one step and doing 2 at a time, I mean? Or will that be too risky?
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Oh, sounds exactly like what happened to me - the available step was too low and the bench seemed intimidating. Can one do step ups on a stair case, skipping one step and doing 2 at a time, I mean? Or will that be too risky?

Don't see why it would be too risky, provided your steps are not too close together. As long as you feel you have enough space to step fully (with some space leftover) on the step, you should be fine :) Try without weights first and see how you feel!
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Don't see why it would be too risky, provided your steps are not too close together. As long as you feel you have enough space to step fully (with some space leftover) on the step, you should be fine :) Try without weights first and see how you feel!
    Thanks Valeriewxy - that sounds a sensible plan, to first try without weights.