anyone else gain weight rapidly?

Options
Hey all, I was just diagnosed Saturday with hypo after battling with a slew of issues and most notably pretty intense gain over a year and a half. I started seeing the weight pile on in early 08 but I wasn't being the best about my choices and assumed it was from that (I went from weighing 165 to 190) but with being tall I didn't notice it that much and it tapered out after a year.
well, I got up to 205 by 2011, but started SB and exercise and got to a comfortable and healthy 190. Then all hell broke lose in November 2011. I gained 25lbs in about a month, other symptoms started to show up, and I spent the next year going through similar weight gain spurts regardless of eating well (still SB) and doing crossfit 3x a week. I once gained 9 pounds in a week! All on no more then 1800 cals.
So now I sit at 247, and while I have started taking my meds already, I'm curious what others results were. Did it happen slowly? Immediately or take months? Has anyone else gained such high amounts quickly? How did it/is it going for you?

Replies

• LizGozza
    LizGozza Posts: 45
    Options
    Oh and I'm on Armour, but just the intro dose of 30mg
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    oh heck yeah comes on quickly and comes off slowly. I am on synthroid 2@112 mcg/ day 3 brazil nuts daily 1 kelp pill multi vitamin gummies D3 gummie try to keep my sodium under 1500 I am on BP med and Water pill and if I miss 2 days of my water pill I will gain 9 lbs in 2 days and it takes 12 to get it back off... I have to get in 10-20 minutes of cardio exercise every morning before I eat no matter what to rev up the metabolism and balance out the insulin in my body but those days are rare I usually ride for 30-60 minutes every morning. Most of this I learned to apply since being here at MFP and I have lost 28 lbs over the last 6 months but 40 total.
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I am similar to you. I am also tall, and I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 2 years ago. I suspected something was wrong, because I put on about 30 pounds in a couple months. I realize I didnt eat great, but it packed on fast. I am on 100mg of Eltroxin. I saw my doctor in March with the hopes that she would up my medication. She said my blood levels were "ok". I have been fairly faithfully tracking calories since September, regularly play intense tennis, I have started including more walking, weights, and workout dvd's. I literally have not lost a pound since September. I have gained and lost the same 5 pounds for 7 months. Its really frustrating because I am so committed to this. However, I am shrinking slowly. I have lost some inches, so I am giving up on the scale number for now. My doctor said my weight will move slooooooooowly because my metabolism isn't what it used to be because of Hashimotos, as well as the fact that I am well into my 30's. It sucks. But stick with it. I am a lot more fit than I was, so that is awesome!! You can do it!
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I am similar to you. I am also tall, and I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 2 years ago. I suspected something was wrong, because I put on about 30 pounds in a couple months. I realize I didnt eat great, but it packed on fast. I am on 100mg of Eltroxin. I saw my doctor in March with the hopes that she would up my medication. She said my blood levels were "ok". I have been fairly faithfully tracking calories since September, regularly play intense tennis, I have started including more walking, weights, and workout dvd's. I literally have not lost a pound since September. I have gained and lost the same 5 pounds for 7 months. Its really frustrating because I am so committed to this. However, I am shrinking slowly. I have lost some inches, so I am giving up on the scale number for now. My doctor said my weight will move slooooooooowly because my metabolism isn't what it used to be because of Hashimotos, as well as the fact that I am well into my 30's. It sucks. But stick with it. I am a lot more fit than I was, so that is awesome!! You can do it!

I used to be on meds for a few years. I was diagnosed when I was about 14. I have been off for 2 years now and I am annoyed because I keep getting told my body has fixed itself as bloodwork comes up clear, but I am not convinced.

I never found I put on weight rapidly, but slowly creeped up from 130lb to 145lb+ (I'm 5'7) when I was about 17 to now. I know it's a small creep, but my GOSH it is so hard to lose.

I have been eating so well for the past 3-4 months, and I have my parents to thank for already introducing me to all the healthy foods when I was a child. I love vegetables etc. I have lost a meagre 5lb in over 3 months which is insane when there are people losing 0.5lb-1lb a week, but it happens with time. I am glad this group is here, no one in the real world understands me :sad: and my bf's way of being supportive is making fun of me when I DO have my weekly weekend treat of pudding or chocolate mousse (and go over my 1400 net).

I found my biggest loss (haha biggest..) of about 2lb :laugh: was around the time I went on a 2 week snowboarding trip. Highlights that a mix of intense cardio and heavy weight training (killer thighs and calves now) really kicks your body into shape. I was eating about 2000+ a day at that time and on the slopes about 6hours a day. It was an intense burn, I would have been concerned if I didn't lose at all, but I had others around me that lost 10lb+ in the same time who were eating a lot more CRAP food than me...

Don't know if it's a wise decision, but maybe try an INTENSE week or so of gym. I am talking 3 hours a day for 2 weeks, just to 'kick' you body into doing something. A small 30mins 4 times a week won't do anything, trust me. I have started cycling to uni since October and rie my bike 20-40mins a day and it does nothing at all for me.

Just stay strong, keep exercising, and be patient. You are NOT alone at all!
  • SarahHebert1
    SarahHebert1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My weight came up slowly - it seemed, to me - over about 7 years. I should have taken a hint during the first year when I was a varsity athlete, exercising far more than the year before, but didn't clue in. Just assumed it was the freshman fifteen+. Looking back I know that that kind of gain is more than just bad eating but I never would have thought to ask anything about my thyroid.

Through the seven years, while I haven't taken the best care of myself through eating and exercise, I put on about 90 lbs.. almost a whole second person of me.

I am finding my weight loss to be very very slow, no matter what kind of eating regiment or exercise plan I follow - and it now goes back on VERY quickly - and then some. Mid-summer last year I was down about 10 lbs from where I was (207 was the lowest weight I remember) and then with improper eating and too much snacking I sprang way up to 233 before Christmas, my highest. I'm 5'5 and currently at 226 lbs.

I was diagnosed in November and have gotten a new dose every two months since - currently on 75mcg Synthroid.
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have not been officially diagnosed with anything. I've had thyroid tests and ultrasounds. Apparently I am "borderline" - however the huge lump on my throat to me indicates otherwise. I've gained 25 pounds in a year since I quit working a part time job that had me walking a store and stocking shelves. So, I've just recommitted to eating healthier and getting more exercise. I'm also looking into essential oils to see if a topical application will help me. I really really dislike meds and I'm giving this 2 months to see any improvement before I go back to the Doctor again. The last ultrasound I had was not covered by insurance and cost @$450. I can't afford to pay that every six months. ~ Terri
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I have not been officially diagnosed with anything. I've had thyroid tests and ultrasounds. Apparently I am "borderline" - however the huge lump on my throat to me indicates otherwise. I've gained 25 pounds in a year since I quit working a part time job that had me walking a store and stocking shelves. So, I've just recommitted to eating healthier and getting more exercise. I'm also looking into essential oils to see if a topical application will help me. I really really dislike meds and I'm giving this 2 months to see any improvement before I go back to the Doctor again. The last ultrasound I had was not covered by insurance and cost @$450. I can't afford to pay that every six months. ~ Terri

I have read (searching high and low) in some online articles that sunflower seeds are meant to be good for the thyroid. I try to eat them when possible - couldn't hurt.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I have always been a "thick" girl but never really FAT and always very athletic. Since I had my son in 2010, I have gained about 50lbs. I actually gained that in about a year. I gained 50lbs during pregnancy, lost 40 of it right away and then over the next year gained 55 lbs. I gained it while on WW. I know that sounds crazy but it's true. Granted, we would go out to eat once in awhile or get a pizza to bring home, but I am talking 2 - 3 times a month and the rest of the time, stuck to WW.
    I knew something was off with my thyroid and kept after my Dr. but she insisted I was just fat and lazy and needed to exercise more. I fired her. I went to an endo that put my on a low carb diet (fruits, veggies, legumes, etc. only, no "white" carbs) due to the hypoT and also have insulin resistance. I lost 35 lbs almost instantly. I hit a 6 month plateau and went back because my hypoT symptoms were coming back and the weight was creeping up again. My endo gave me a diet pill. I fired him. I have a new endo now that is pretty good. He dx me with Hashimoto's and is in the process of finding the right dose of Armour for me. I am currently at 90mg. He also told me to cut out the starchy carbs and to try eliminating gluten. I have managed to stop the weight gain but have not started to lose again. I do need to exercise more but I am not exactly sedentary either. It's funny (or not) because when I was a size 14 (I am 5' 7") I would wish that I was a size 10 or even a size 12. Now, I would give just about anything to be a size 14 again. If I deviate from my "diet" at all, I gain weight instantly and it isn't water weight. I am at 1750 cals per day and if I hit the 2000 mark, I will gain. I am over 200lbs so I should lose steadily at 1750 but I seem to maintain at this level. I read an article once that said people with hypoT and Hashi's may have a BMR that is 500 - 800 cals LOWER than a "normal" person. Also, if you Hashi's, do not take any form of Iodine supplement (kelp, etc). The iodine stimulates the thyroid which make the anti-bodies attack it more. If you haven't already, check out Stop The Thyroid Madness website and/or FB page. There is a lot of good info on there.
  • LizGozza
    Options
    Thank you everyone for sharing your stories, I have done soooo much research but its another thing to hear it from people first hand. (plus my fiance works in the medical field, I couldn't ask for a better support system)
    I'm 24, so the "your metabolism just won't be what it use to be" excuse is moot, I know this cause my Endo told me I was being dramatic when I told him that lol. The guy is really awesome and no bull****. And thankfully just hypo, I don't have hasimotos.
    back a year and half ago before all of this it only took me 2 months to drop 20 pounds, my body has always been good about responding to good habits and getting itself back to a weight its comfortable at (which I am sooooo thankful for, even if its still not a skinny weight, I could care less)
    I know it'll be a long road what with getting my thyroid leveled out, hoping my insulin resistance goes down enough to not need medication for that too, and finally losing this excess 77 pounds. I'm glad I have you guys for company :)
  • 50kgRussianBallerina
    50kgRussianBallerina Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I gained 50 lbs over the span of 3-4 months BUT with the bulk of it coming on in only two months. It was INSANE.
  • bowmaster71
    bowmaster71 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I played ice hockey for for 10 yrs. My weight has been up and down since my first child 23 yrs ago and my last one 12 yrs ago. At my highest I was 290 at my lowest 188 two yrs ago. I have worked out or some type of physical activity almost everyday for the past two years.I went up to 248 in under 6 months. Some months I can drop weight, for the past two I have been stuck in between a 4 lb hold.I am on synthroid 88 mcg daily. When I went for blood work in November I was in the 2.5 range in January I was in the 9.5 range. I don't stay stable at all.
  • Lani1976
    Lani1976 Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm glad I am not alone. I have spent forever gaining and losing the same few kilos. If I have a bad day the weight shoots up and it takes a week to get it back down... where it stays. I gained 5 kgs when I was pregnant in 2010 (late MC) and I cannot get that to budge. I watch cals and when I feel good I can pump out 1000 cal workouts (according to the gym machines) but no weight change... then the hashis will hit me with a Hypo episode and i'm like a slug pushing myself to keep up the 30 day shred or crosstrainer as a minimum. All I do now is try and stick to a healthy food reigme with low cals... and do daily exercise and hope that my levels will get sorted so I can get back to what I was :(

My TSH over the last few months has been between 4.3 and 5.6 and our normal range is up to 3.8. I was on thyroxine until I saw an Endo... big mistake. He took me off thyroxine and told me to let my body heal itself! That was 4 months ago and nothing good is happening. My antibodies are always thru the roof (TGAb 25000 and TPO 6800) and my Hashis was confirmed by ultrasound... and still no help because apparently I look 'well' (altho it kills me to do so) and because he is not overly excited about my slightly elevated results...!

I hate the weight issues with being Hypo. I work my butt off and eat less then most people I know and I just get FATTER! Most days I just want to curl into a ball in my bed and forget the world exists because I am so bone weary and aching but I am a Mum and so I know giving up is never an option!
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I did too, back in 2006, and it STILL won't come off. Tried Paleo, low carb, eliminating wheat/dairy/caffeine/sugar/processed foods, I exercise like crazy, and NOTHING. My levels are in "normal" range and I'm on Synthroid and Cytomel, still have no energy and cannot lose a pound. I'll lose 1 or 2 and gain them right back. Craziness. I used to be a personal trainer, I lift, I taught spinning and boot camps every day for 3 years, I run, I do yoga... nothing changes. I don't know why I keep going, after 7 years maybe this is just what weight I will be forever! Also tried Armour for several months but actually felt worse on that.

Going to an osteopath in June and hoping for some help. My doc is nice but doesn't know much about thyroid, and because my levels are "normal" the endos in town refuse to see me, even with a referral. Never mind that I have thyroid pain and lumps that come and go, and sleep 16 hours a night on the weekends...

If that's "normal" then that's crazy! Amirite?
    I gained 50 lbs over the span of 3-4 months BUT with the bulk of it coming on in only two months. It was INSANE.
  • LizGozza
    Options
    I really hate when doctors just look at the lab values and don't *kitten* that "hmmm, seeing as my patient still has effin symptoms maybe the problem isn't solved"
    best of luck to everyone! I'm glad to see so many trying still no matter what.
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options

I agree that the expenses are horrible, but after reading that third sentence... it might be time to find a new doc.
  • capricorn0120
    capricorn0120 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I know how everyone feels. I was diagnosed over a year ago. My weight kept escalating, I was always tired and very emotional all the time. I'm on Synthroid and my tests keep coming up clean but the weight will not come off no matter what I eat or how much I exercise. I lost 25 lbs.2 years ago and over the past year I've gained it all back. I exercise more now than I did then plus I eat healthier. It's really discouraging.
  • ArtsyGeekette
    ArtsyGeekette Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What if I told you there -is- a way to lose weight as a Hashimoto's Thyroid/Hypothyroid patient who is going through the dreaded weight gain cycle?

From my experience, I diagnosed as hypothyroid initially in 2007, being promised that taking Synthroid would help the weight come off with calorie counting. No dice. Then recently in late 2011 discovering that I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, I felt as if I am doomed to be overweight forever, as I gained almost 100lbs in a year, dieting my life away with no results. Not having any of that, I asked my Endo to work with me. She started checking blood work a bit deeper, with finding the following: Vitamin D deficient, Vitamin B12 deficient, fasting blood sugar higher than average, insidious weight gain no matter what eating/exercise plan I was following and my TSH was at 11, and my T3 was much too low and reverse T3 too high.

You should be your own advocate: Be firm but polite, let them know that you are miserable despite making healthy choices but these changes are not making your health better. Let it be known that your doctors can use the labs as a basis to give treatment but if -YOU- don't feel better and your labs are normal, the symptoms should be recognized and treated. You are not your Lab Work. Don't be afraid to ask to try new medicines or programs available to you. If your current doctor won't budge away from Snythroid, time to find a new Endo. If I don't lose the weight I need in a few weeks along with having my symptoms flare up, then I am switching to Armour.

I am currently on Synthroid at 350mcg. I also take Metformin 500mg 2x daily. If you are having issues losing weight and most of it is accumulating in your midsection, there may be a chance you could also be Insulin Resistant as most Hypothyroid patients who experience weight-loss difficulty are in this category. Check with your Endocrinologist and get tested.

I started Keto on 3/11/13 and have lost 29 lbs (had a few water weight days, damn hormones.) As being afflicted with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and being Insulin Resistant means I -really- need to watch my carbohydrate and fiber in take. I have no issues with all sorts of meat, cheese, dairy and properly cooked vegetables as long as there is a good balance of natural fat with them. My intake of calories is around 1800 for now and I eat at 60% of those calories as Fat, 30% calories as protein and 10% as carbs. Is Keto difficult? It can be, but once you get past the need/want for pasta, bread, cookies, crackers, chips, this lifestyle change becomes easy. I think of it this way: Do I want to fit into my goal clothes sooner or feel guilty eating crap? I act as if these items are poison to me right now and will destroy everything I worked so hard for. When I get to maintenance, I can be less stringent but still need to watch carbs as I have noticed anything over 60g-100g net total of carbs a day will make me gain weight. As for my results? Normal blood pressure, TSH dropped to 4, T3 levels improved and reverse T3 is being used efficiently. My A1C went from 6.6. to 2.8 (not Diabetic but Insulin resistant) and my daily glucose is around 100 or less,

So half the battle for us Hashimoto's Patients is giving up crap/processed foods and moving onto a very low carb/non-processed lifestyle as much as possble. Eating 100% clean can be hard to do, so I do the best I can to avoid it. Get vitamin/mineral levels checked. A mutlivitamin helps fill in the places you may be missing nutrients. I take 5000 IU Vitamin D pill daily, 3-4 99mg Potassium Gluconate, 250mg Magnesium and a Women's Multi as it has a good source of Selenium. Do not go over 400g of Selenium as it is very dangerous for your health.

Many people think fat is the enemy. Newsflash: It is not. Quite the opposite as long as it isn't trans fat. I work out three times a week, - a total of 1 hour of cardio and 1 1/2 of strength training. You don't have to exhaust yourself working out. That's not smart or healthy. I am a strong evidence that as a woman with metabolic issues that lifting weights gives a lasting effect on metabolism. My hair is thick and healthy now, my skin is clear, I am losing weight, I have great energy and I am not very hungry or hungry at all between meals. When I did low-fat/low carb and low calorie, most days I was ravenous or ultimately sick to my stomach, bad IBS and felt like sleeping all the time. I was always counting the minutes down to my next meal. With Keto, I am alert, I have energy and I feel great. I feel almost normal again, save for the weight that needs to come off.

Living on carrot sticks and Snackwell's is no way to go through life and certainly will damage your already slow metabolism. Real food = real results. It so simple, it makes me feel dumb for giving into the diet gimmicks out there in the first place.

If anyone is interested in trying Keto, (think of Atkins but much less restrictive and completely free to do) I have a wonderful community I belong to at http://www.reddit.com/r/keto
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yes! I gained about 30lbs in about 2 months. It did not melt off when I started taking meds. I finally found a way to lose it.