Um... Thanks??? Unsolicited Stay Away From CrossFit Advice

Options

Replies

• jayr1532
    jayr1532 Posts: 2
    Options
    I did not receive any from people online, but I did get some from local people in my area. My response was that I was not going to judge anything I have not tried. When I went to crossfit, I left my ego at the door walking in and was not afraid to use less weight to learn technique, before learning to increase weight, and that has served me well.
  • shaywallis
    shaywallis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I had it out with her hard core on a thread once. Pretty sure she knows not to message me =P
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I totally just got Health_Gal-ed! Off to check out her highly scientific links.....
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    Options
    Don't you know that Crossfit is dangerous! OMG! I just got Health_Gal'ed as well. Luckily I had read this thread before it happened. I just laughed and then clicked "Block".
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I got her unsolicited advice as well. This was my response (which she never responded to):
    I have a free membership (paid for by my employer) at a "regular gym" and I still pay for CF. I have EXCELLENT coaches and feel very comfortable knowing that they have my health and best interest in mind. I see people acting stupid occasionally at my box, but if the coaches see it, it's over. They really focus on proper form and will actually tell you take weight off if you are doing something incorrectly. I realize this may not be the case at all CF facilities (and maybe not even the norm), but who is going to push me to be the best me I can be at my "regular gym"? Nobody. Who is going to build widely varying workouts for me that incorporate gymnastics, strength, cardio, agility and flexibility? For the first time in my 30+ years of life I feel like an athlete. I've never been so encouraged by others when it comes to fitness. I've read that article and I feel like there is always a risk of injury in any fitness program or athletics. The last injury I sustained was about 4 years ago in a Zumba class. It can happen anywhere.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    WOW... I just got Health Gal'd:

Hi,

Sorry to her that you are involved with Crossfit. I know from friends that were once addicted to Crossfit that it can be both a dangerous and expensive addiction.

But it is possible to overcome your addiction and get out of Crossfit.

Hopefully, this article will help you find your way out.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/545200-the-fall-of-fitness/

Good luck!
  • SnicciFit
    Options

Hi,

Sorry to her that you are involved with Crossfit. I know from friends that were once addicted to Crossfit that it can be both a dangerous and expensive addiction.

Good luck!

Looks like she's changed up her approach a little. You might need to go away to rehab for your addiction...:tongue:
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    “I think the benefits of CrossFit outweigh the risks—but the risks are real.”

Yes, I actually read the article. I think this line says it all. You could replace the word "CrossFit" with just about any common sport or fitness program.
  • juicemoogan
    Options
    I know... because i have a serious addiction,... I don't think i can stop by myself...

Has anyone actually reported her to MFP?
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Has anyone actually reported her to MFP?

Been wondering this same thing... :grumble:
  • juicemoogan
    Options
    wondering how to do it without making a post about her in the tech-support forms... to bad there is no "report button" PM's.

I say lets find an MFP admin and show them this thread.
  • juicemoogan
    Options
    reported.

done.
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options
    Damn. You mean CrossFit is the new crack?

LMAO. What a frickin' nutcase.
  • Melissaf0925
    Options
    I just got a message from her. This was my reply:

"Thank you very much for your "concern" about my "addiction" to Crossfit. As someone who finally quit smoking after 21 YEARS, and was finally able to go off large amounts of heart medicines with some very nasty side effects (as per my Cardiologist's direction) thanks to the physical and emotional benefits of Crossfit, I do not see myself leaving people who have become my my family.

However, I must say, as a FORMER HEROIN ADDICT WHO IS COMPLETELY ****ING AWARE OF WHAT ADDICTION TRULY IS (come talk to me when you are throwing up and shaking, wishing you had just ****ing taken the EASY route and killed yourself, for FIVE DAYS from withdraw), you have a lot of ****ing NERVE to send me a message urging me to drop an "addiction" to the ONLY form of exercise I have every truly enjoyed or stuck with for more than a few weeks. Anyone in Crossfit who has a coach who is worth a damn is COMPLETELY aware of the dangers of rhabdo (which you can get from ANY SPORT OR WORK OUT) and we are also completely aware of where our ****ing limits are. We WILL tell each other when we think we or someone else needs a break. Why? Because at MY BOX we are a family, and family protect one another!

Have a nice day, and please... Do NOT contact me again. "
  • Melissaf0925
    Options

Hi,

Good luck!

Looks like she's changed up her approach a little. You might need to go away to rehab for your addiction...:tongue:

"Please ma'am! Step away from the barbell, put the kettlebell down slowly and no one will get hurt." *piff*
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

"Thank you very much for your "concern" about my "addiction" to Crossfit. As someone who finally quit smoking after 21 YEARS, and was finally able to go off large amounts of heart medicines with some very nasty side effects (as per my Cardiologist's direction) thanks to the physical and emotional benefits of Crossfit, I do not see myself leaving people who have become my my family.

However, I must say, as a FORMER HEROIN ADDICT WHO IS COMPLETELY ****ING AWARE OF WHAT ADDICTION TRULY IS (come talk to me when you are throwing up and shaking, wishing you had just ****ing taken the EASY route and killed yourself, for FIVE DAYS from withdraw), you have a lot of ****ing NERVE to send me a message urging me to drop an "addiction" to the ONLY form of exercise I have every truly enjoyed or stuck with for more than a few weeks. Anyone in Crossfit who has a coach who is worth a damn is COMPLETELY aware of the dangers of rhabdo (which you can get from ANY SPORT OR WORK OUT) and we are also completely aware of where our ****ing limits are. We WILL tell each other when we think we or someone else needs a break. Why? Because at MY BOX we are a family, and family protect one another!

:heart: :flowerforyou:
    And if there was a *hug* smilie I'd throw one of those at you too.
  • Melissaf0925
    Options

:heart: :flowerforyou:
    And if there was a *hug* smilie I'd throw one of those at you too.

Thanks. :blushing: I just hate when people bandy the word addiction around without understanding what it (at least to me) truly means. And she really hit a nerve because I don't tell people how to live their life.
  • Splinter24
    Splinter24 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Is it wrong that I'm posting away about crossfit in the general section? I feel left out! I want to get "health_gal"ed too! :laugh:
  • juicemoogan
    Options
    Funny thing is i cant recall ever posting about CF in the main boards.....
    She is one hell of a detective.... dont know how she found me...

Unless shes a creeper in this group?!?!?!

hahah
  • julielittlefish
    julielittlefish Posts: 134 Member
    Options

*standing ovation*