starting primal, how to deal with the first few days?

Options
hello all!

i started the program in Mark Sisson's "21-Day Total Body Transformation" book yesterday. keep in mind i'm coming off a mostly vegetarian with some seafood diet to primal. i believe i'm dealing with the "low-carb flu" or what have you, as i have been lightheaded, headachey and so, so tired.

i guess what i'm really looking for is just reassurance that this is normal and that it will pass, haha. i'm not going to give up, just need some moral support! any tricks to make it seem easier?

thanks in advance!

Replies

• jenfitz
    jenfitz Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Days 1-3 are the hardest- but then it gets better- I promise! Here's what I would do to prepare for my first week if I had it to do all over again:

-Tell the people who will be near you what's going on, that you may be cranky:), and that you need their support (without questioning the diet, your intentions, etc)

-Shop! pack your pantry with lots of paleo options and lots of yummy healthy fats- I think the fats help the most in the beginning- (they help you feel satisfied) get some almond or cashew butter - and eat it with your fingers when you need something yummy- (eventually you probably won't eat nut butters all that often as they are super high in calories- but in the beginning the idea is just getting to where your body doesn't need the sugary starchy stuff);

-pre-cook! hard boiled eggs, chicken, make tuna salad, chicken salad etc...

-prepare to pamper yourself! books, magazines, DVR trashy TV, bath beads etc.

and when all else fails- sleep. seriously- you are curing an illness and it may suck for a while. Try not to take meds for headaches if they happen, try to get some exercise (but cut yourself a break if you don't) be kind to yourself, push through and sleep.

I hope this helps- GOOD LUCK!
  • girlshapedtiger
    Options
    your response is fantastic! thank you so much for this, your suggestions will help so much! i haven't taken anything for the headache just yet, so i will try not to. :) i didn't even think of it as getting over an illness, that thinking will help me a lot getting through it.

thanks again!
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I agree with the prep and other recommendations. I did get dark chocolate and have it just about every night.
    As far as making it through - this is the best article I have read on the topic.

http://whole9life.com/2012/06/the-whole30-timeline/

The other recommendation I have it, suck it up ;)
    I PROMISE that when you come out the other side, you will be stronger, have more energy and will have a list of missing symptoms you didn't even realize you had until they are gone.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/saturated-fat/tips-tricks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb-pt-ii/

Dr. Mike is the author of Protein Power, which can fit into a primal eating plan.
  • AshleyPaleo
    AshleyPaleo Posts: 121
    Options
    It was horrible for me! Constant headaches and my joints in my knees hurt sooo bad, even my teeth hurt? by day five I felt great!!! So don't give up!!
  • girlshapedtiger
    Options
    thanks all! it's been a rough last three days, that is for sure! i'm going to check out the links, get some sleep and drink lots of water! i just need to keep telling myself that i'm almost there! :)