C25K ~ Week 1, Day 1 ...here I go!

Options
minnndymae
minnndymae Posts: 41 Member
I'm sooooo not a "runner"......that being said, today wasn't so bad! I had already downloaded the C25K App, so I started it up, turned up the tunes and off I went. :) I love that the app. took all the work out of it for me, I just had to listen to what she told me to do, easy peasy!

2 things about today:

-I am wondering if I should be doing more of a warm up/streching before I start, besides the 5 minute warm up walk??? I felt ready to go tho, so idk...

-I did feel winded after the 60 seconds were up (yea, thats how much I suck!), one of the times I can remember really wanting that 60 secs. to be up! but I kept going and that 90 sec. break really did me good getting my breathing back under control and ready for the next round :)

My new shoes felt great too, I think that was for sure a smart move ;) the worms out soaking up the fresh rain were a little much for me, however! lol They were everywhere!! ICK, I hate worms................

I'm excited for day 2 (Wednesday for me)! Not sure what I'll be doing for my "break day" tomorrow, maybe a little Ab Circle Pro...?? Any thoughts??

& please, if your just starting or whatever, feel free to add me! Could always use some support/motivation from others doing the same thing (and I'll try and do the same for you too!) =)

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    1 - Congratuations! You completed Day 1. You are a runner. It will take you 9+ weeks to feel comfortable with this, so don't sweat it.
    2 - Stretching is good, especially as the running gets more intense.
    3 - Almost everybody is winded after the first run. It sounds like you did good. You'll want to slow down later, especially if you can't finish a run.
    4 - Worms are our friends. They keep the soil aerated and nutritious for plants.
    5 - I do strength training or yoga/pilates on rest days.
    6 - Looking forward to hearing how Wednesday goes for you.
  • Randyamc
    Randyamc Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Hi, not a runner either but determined to complete this thing lol

Yes but not static stretching. Look up a quick dynamic stretching routine online. I should do more but I'm getting better at it.

Yup, it sucked just as bad for me in the beginning. Now that i'm running 5 minutes that 1 minutes feels quick.

Awesome about the shoes, a lot of people have trouble in that area so go you!
  • minnndymae
    Options
    Thanks for the tips Vardaeml! I was really trying to tell myself to go SLOW this morning and not rush it...I had read that quite a few times going through these boards, so I'll try and keep that in my head in the coming weeks too :happy:

I must like worms on some level...I try VERY hard not to hurt them by stepping on them anyhow!! ....could just be the THOUGHT of how squishy they'd feel under my cute new running shoes tho too. lol
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Randyamc - You are so a runner. Look at any blog, magazine or running book and find me a definition of a "runner" that excludes you.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Started the program today too, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be! I was definitely winded, but not overly so. Pretty encouraging!

I'm going to do yoga/pilates on my rest days and some upper body strength training on the days I do C25K.

Anyone who wants a C25K buddy, feel free to add me :)
  • kriddle428
    kriddle428 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started today also, wasn't as bad as I expected. I'd love some c25K buddies!
  • mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I started (again) today too! Count me in! We had the Glass City Marathon yesterday. I ran the 5k last year but not this year. :frown: I should have been there but I've been slacking so I didn't. There are several more 5ks that I want to do so I'm going to make sure I get through this!
  • adriawesomepants
    Options
    I did my first 5k in April after completing MOST of the program since February (think I made it to week 7 but race jitters and adrenaline seemed to help me during the nighttime race).

On Sunday I started over determined to stay focused and do all 9 weeks this time- felt like I had not just run the 5k on the 20th of April. Was not sore/ tired, but I do need new shoes.

Have you guys signed up for events or just doing it to do it?
  • Toninz
    Toninz Posts: 29
    Options
    I'm about to start week 1, day 1 tonight. Excited!!

Feel free to add me, let's do this together :smooched:
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'll be starting tomorrow!
  • Toninz
    Toninz Posts: 29
    Options
    No events, just to get past day 1 was achievement enough for tonight haha My friend and I have been walking together since February and were both beaming with pride at the end as this is the first time either of us have actually run and WE DID IT!
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on starting!! You did great! I'm in week 5, day 2 coming up soon. I've had to take a bit of a rest due to lower leg pain, but continuing as soon as I'm able. I absolutely love the feeling of accomplisment when I finish each day. I start each week thinking I won't be able to do the run, but will redo day 1 of each week until I can, but once I start I can do it & feel great!! I struggle but I don't stop! And by day 3 of that week I can do the runs no problem. Its a great program!! Best of luck to you!
  • daizzi
    daizzi Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just started Week 1, Day 1 on Saturday. I quit running and want to get back into it. So excited to have a group that is doing it too! I am all for cheering each other on. If there is anybody in the Minnesota area and you want to sign up for a 5K race together that would be fun!
  • minnndymae
    Options
    I'm so excited to have a group to do this with too!! I haven't signed up for an event or 5k yet either, I'm a little worried about it.....its my "non-runner" mentality thats kicking in!! but makes me a little scared just thinking about it! lol I felt SO good & absolutely had that same feeling of accomplishment, even after just one day! Maybe I just need a few more good days like that before I feel like I'll actually be able to do a 5k :wink:

Should we all just check in here on how were doing or start a group or what do ya'll think?? Or just add each other as friends....I don't really have any 'friends' :blushing: (that were not already people I know!) and am new to the boards/topics, so not really sure. Thoughts??
  • Randyamc
    Randyamc Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Thanks vardaeml!!

It's really great to see so many giving this program a go. I have to say that I've had my bad and good days and even though I don't "enjoy" running yet... but I've glad I've stuck with it so far.
  • mamabear272
    Options
    I'm all set to do W1D2 tomorrow! I'm looking forward to it. *gasp* :noway:

If you want to add me as a friend, I promise to keep your butt in line! I'm good at that! :laugh:
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I'm proud of you all!
  • minnndymae
    Options
    Day TWO down! :happy:
    Its windy here today tho, so that made it extra fun running into it :ohwell: and I can remember thinking "thats it????" when the lady in my ears said I was half way! lol ...I feel so good about getting out there and doing this & am excited about all of us doing this together!! Hows everyone else feel today??
  • mamabear272
    Options
    Mine was W1D2 and I'm a little rough. My one knee was bugging me today. I have a brace that I think I'll wear Friday. Other than that, I'm feeling really good!
  • tomii13
    tomii13 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I just did w1d1. It got a little tough for a sec but i did it! The tips on this thread were on my mind. Breathe, go slow,,.heck, i had a lil supprt group in my head cheering me on!