'Diet Foods' - Available in Australia

Options
gmallan
gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
So sick of browsing the forums and hearing about an awesome food that we can't get here in Aus so I thought I'd start a thread for us Aussies to post our favourite 'diet' foods. Not really talking about the obvious stuff like fruit, veggies, chicken breast and tuna etc but the less common stuff

They can be super healthy, 'clean', 'paleo' or just low calorie if you'd like. Preferably widely available at Woolies, Coles or elsewhere (I'm in Tas and we don't have access to as many stores).

Some of my favourites are:

Chobani yoghurt - available in single-serve flavoured or big tubs of plain. Low calories, high in protein and low in sugar
Aeroplane low cal jelly - super low calorie dessert
Nativa and Stevia - 'natrual' low calorie sweeteners
Black Swan - Roasted garlic hummus and beet root tzatziki
Woolies single serve soups for a quick and easy lunch - they have a bunch of flavours and range between 180-250 calories

and now your turn...

Replies

• Honeytips
    Honeytips Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm with you with the Chobani yoghurt - love that stuff!!
    After hearing a lot about it on MFP from the Americans I was able to track down that Almond Breeze milk in Coles (I had the unsweetened version when I was doing a no sugar version and just recently I bought it in chocolate milk - can't wait to try it)
    Another great find - Slim pasta (I think about 59kj per 125g serve) - I found this one in Woolies and I definitely don't feel guilty again whenever I feel for pasta

Can't wait to read about the other diet foods to be found :smile:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Changs low-cal noodles...... 11cals per serve
    Slendier slim pasta, rice, angel noodles.... about 11cals per serve.... some as low as 6 cals.

Enough said.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    I'm with you with the Chobani yoghurt - love that stuff!!
    After hearing a lot about it on MFP from the Americans I was able to track down that Almond Breeze milk in Coles (I had the unsweetened version when I was doing a no sugar version and just recently I bought it in chocolate milk - can't wait to try it)
    Another great find - Slim pasta (I think about 59kj per 125g serve) - I found this one in Woolies and I definitely don't feel guilty again whenever I feel for pasta

Can't wait to read about the other diet foods to be found :smile:

Try the Changs low cal noodles, same as slim pasta...only about $1 cheaper & you can buy it in coles as well.

Also go for the Blue Diamond Almond milk, unsewwtened one is 40 cals per 250ml
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have the chocolate breeze almond milk with a banana and protein powder. Very yum!

I like the single serves of popcorn as a snack.

Also sunrice thins. I have them with peanut butter or avocodo or ricotta with strawberries.

I like mainland light cheese and water crackers snacks too.

Quakers banana and blueberry oats with unsweetened almond milk mmm
  • kitza101
    kitza101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    To add to what has already been added, some sweet things:

Aussie Bodies lo-carb mini protein bars - about 95 cal for a pretty filling afternoon snack. I love the choc-cherry one. Sweet, but not too sweet. It saves me from foraging in the work social club chocolate fundraising box, and it helps with my protein count which I struggle to meet.

On a similar note, the Slim Secrets range, such as butterscotch bliss fit balls.

Both of those products are available at Woolies, and also Big W I think. Also other places too, but I find them at Woolies.
  • gmallan
    Options
    Awesome! Keep them coming people. I'll look out for the slim secrets and aussie bodies stuff. Also about time I tried out almond milk.

I think you can get laughing cow cheese at woolies but I haven't tried it yet
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    We get the skinny cow icecreams (sundaes and icecream cookies) in Aus now, I really like the cookies at only 120ish cals per serve.

Chobani is a winner! In fact I just finished a tub then :bigsmile:

I agree with the Aussie Bodies bars too, the cherry choc is good, I don't have the bars too often but that is one of the better ones I have tried. I don't mind the HPLC bars either, because they're big enough for two snacks and have an awesome P:F:C ratio!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    Yeah chobani is my fave. I love the plain one in my food & actually just finished a small tub of the honey one.
  • kitza101
    kitza101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, and the Smooze Ice Fruit Blocks (Mango and Coconut) are really yummy - they're about 69 calories a block. You can find them in the aisle at Woolworths that has jelly crystals, custard powder and steamed puddings and all that. Less pertinent now that winter is almost here, but they are great to have in the freezer for summer! http://smooze.com.au/about/nutrition/
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Essentials on my list include; Bulla low fat cottage cheese, low sodium/sugar tomato salsa, brown/wild rice, cous cous, Rainbow paddlepops (relatively low cal sweet tooth fix), packet Miso soup and seaweed strips and I have a new obsession with marinated kangaroo steaks nomnom nom...
  • Honeytips
    Options
    Try the Changs low cal noodles, same as slim pasta...only about $1 cheaper & you can buy it in coles as well.

Also go for the Blue Diamond Almond milk, unsewwtened one is 40 cals per 250ml

Thanks!! Will definitely check out those brands!!
  • babyworms
    babyworms Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I love the Black Swan low fat greek yoghurt. It is so yummy and creamy and amazing.
    I have it with porridge or just with some fruit and honey.
    It also comes in no fat, but I haven't tried that one, worried it'll take away from the awesome creaminess.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    I love the Black Swan low fat greek yoghurt. It is so yummy and creamy and amazing.
    I have it with porridge or just with some fruit and honey.
    It also comes in no fat, but I haven't tried that one, worried it'll take away from the awesome creaminess.

Try the Chobani one instead. The 0% fat one is soooooooooooo creamy & sooooooooooooo yummy. 99cals for 170g is darn good. $6 for 4 small tubs at Woolies right now. Or $10 for 10 I think. A 500g tub is usually only $5 something anyway. I refuse to buy any other brand.
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options

I've found it at Woolies and Coles (Launceston). Tastes like the old cheese spread (to me. YMMV). I don't think I'll buy it again.

For a nice 'soft' cheese I like the bocconcini. I've gotten golf ball sized ones in the deli (excellent when I only want ONE), or you can find the smaller ones in the fridge with the feta types.
  • gmallan
    Options
    Anyone know of any good low cal hot chocolates?
  • sarah5423
    sarah5423 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

I love Vitarium Drinking Chocolate 100% Natural from Coles / Woolies / IGA - it's not too cheap but so low in calories

Also Queen Sugar Free Maple Syrup is great to use on pancakes / yoghurts
  • gmallan
    Options

I love Vitarium Drinking Chocolate 100% Natural from Coles / Woolies / IGA - it's not too cheap but so low in calories

Also Queen Sugar Free Maple Syrup is great to use on pancakes / yoghurts

Thank you, I'll give it a try. I'm already onto the queen maple syrup :)
  • Bubbl3s25
    Bubbl3s25 Posts: 210
    Options
    I am off to look for the maple syrup to go with my protein pancakes. I recommend the 2% fat Chobani over the non fat. The taste is nicer, it's lower in sugar and still minimal fat
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options

I've found it at Woolies and Coles (Launceston). Tastes like the old cheese spread (to me. YMMV). I don't think I'll buy it again.

For a nice 'soft' cheese I like the bocconcini. I've gotten golf ball sized ones in the deli (excellent when I only want ONE), or you can find the smaller ones in the fridge with the feta types.

Aldi sell it as well now.
  • Honeytips
    Options

Definitely Jarrah's - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/jarrah
    Looooove their belgian chocolate and orange flavoured hot chocolate mixes